Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Editing Question

When you guys map, do you plan your level out, e.g., draw it out on a sheet of graph paper, or do you (like me) do it all as you go along?

No I don't do anything to help in any way. When I want to map, I just do it without thinking much. But when it comes to adding details, then I start to think about it when the map is done. This is why I don't map often and I don't release anything :P

I've started one 2 weeks ago from a old one I didn't release. I'm still working on it around an hour/week. If I finish it, I'll probably send it to newstuff, but there's around 90% chance I won't finish it because I'm too lazy.

I've been drawing up sketches in school. Sometimes, I go into real detail, others it's just simple path plotting. With the detailed ones, I have my own legend on what's what. (and I've used this for about 5 years) I'll upload one sometime.

In my opinion, good maps take a lot of planning. Not necessarily a lot of time actually making the map, but a lot of thinking about how it is going to be fun. I mean, that is the point of making maps right? So other people can have fun playing them? Heh, the single player maps in newstuff lately sometimes make me think otherwise...

I usually plan out one part of the map at a time, and while I don't actually draw sketches (I suck at drawing), I have it pretty well planned out in my head. Of course, after I actually design it, it invariably never looks as good as I was hoping...so I abandon it. I've started working on like 20 maps, but haven't finished any of them yet. That's my style of mapping anyway...

Never. I just edit right off the top of the ol bean.

I occationally plan a map, so that i have a clear idea in my head in advance. It depens on what sort of level i want to do.

I tend to plan ahead for some maps, mainly thinking up the general theme of a certain area. For hubs, it's usually to plan what map goes where and what it will look like (city, cavern, swamp, etc.). I also plan ahead for some of the puzzles and other scripting, as well as testing out new ideas on test maps. However, for the actual map design, usually I just think it up as I go along.

Practically all my maps until a couple of years ago were created right off the top of my head. I'd have some idea of where I was going, then sit down at my editor and develop the map. Most of my recent maps, however, have originated from some sort of concept drawing. A drawing allows me to get a sense of scale, so that I'm not creating a room in my editor and constantly experimenting with the size of the room until I get it right. I fill in all the details directly using the editor, usually by doing a walkthrough of a room or area and noting where things should be added.

I don't plan ahead more than a few seconds for single maps, and for mapsets I usually think slightly more ahead in terms of the theme, but nothing like drawing it out beforehand or anything nutty like that.

I always have a general idea of theme of an area (sometimes more detailed than other times), and then kinda just see how things fall together under the theme, usually old-schoolish, apparently.

Cyb said:

.....but nothing like drawing it out beforehand or anything nutty like that.

Hey! I resemble that remark. Heh.

I am starting to plan out maps now. I have busy busy remaking alot of older maps to. The Best maps I have made though are the one's i plan out.

ReX said:

Hey! I resemble that remark. Heh.

Man that's nutty!

I've planned out maps before on paper, but only very rarely. For two reasons:

1. I have access to my laptop (which has become my #1 workstation for my current project) more often than not, and this is rarely necessary. I only map on paper as an anti-boredom measure.
2. My plans have to change VERY often because, of course, there are things you miscalculate on paper (I don't exactly use rulers and scale models when I map on paper).

Therefore 99% of my maps are go-with-the-flow kind of things. Often I have an idea or a certain architectural feature which I base a level around, though...

My mapmaking process usually goes something like this:

1. Get a vague idea of what the map will be like. No real big planning, just something like "base" or "castle".
2. Chop around in the map editor.
3. Compile map and test what has been done so far.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 as desired.
5. Decide map sucks, cease production.

It sounds like a joke, but sadly it's fairly accurate.

Personally I don't draw anything, maybe I have some idea in my mind.

I've only mapped 2 maps out. The one I did for D:E and the one released in the MGMYWTCX preview. No one liked either of them. All the other maps I've done were either for speedmapping or are as of yet unreleased.

zarcyb, change your avatar to something that isn't a sexual organ please

yes this is a warning

I like to mix it up. Usually I'll just map on the fly and make stuff up right in the editor. Once in awhile I'll draw up a plan for a particular room and then make it in the editor. It really helps a lot when designing to have a plan drawn up beforehand. I figure I should do this more often and want to draw more ideas on paper once I get my current projects finished. Sometimes though an idea is enough to get one into the editing groove without drawing a thing.

I rarely actually plan out a level beyond like "library goes here, and some sort of room here... maybe a cave here." I just draw and see what looks good and keep it if it does.

Cyb said:

zarcyb, change your avatar to something that isn't a sexual organ please

yes this is a warning

Done.

I draw on paper some hellish traps and demonic fixtures before real mapping (name it prefabs). Sometimes I schematically draw key areas of the map to be more consistent and authentic feel.

Well. I start by writing down what I want in the level in terms of rooms and features. I then create those rooms and features. And when I have all these little/big rooms I merge it all together with some cleverly thought out hallways... and voila, you have the level you wanted without doing it by the book (drawing it).