Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rotting Corpse

Doom3 H.U.D.

After seeing the new vid. Its not going to be a huge hud like doom 1 had. I would like to see a hud like doom1. Pluse if they have a floating face like quake3 it would look bad. Am I the only one that want a doom 1 hud in doom3?

I don't know if you're the only one. All I know is I'm ok with the new HUD. I don't see how the old HUD would fit with the new game.

I'm ok with a small HUD (which is really a HDD - Heads Down Display - but screw that, everybody calls it a HUD), but I actually wish there was a floating head like there was in the old Dooms, complete with peeking animations and other facial expressions.

It's a detail, but I think that small detail rocked in the original.

But hey, we can't get everything.

Once the game source (not the engine source) is released it should be fairly straightforward for a mod maker to bring back the original hud.

dsm said:

I'm ok with a small HUD (which is really a HDD - Heads Down Display - but screw that, everybody calls it a HUD), but I actually wish there was a floating head like there was in the old Dooms, complete with peeking animations and other facial expressions.

It's a detail, but I think that small detail rocked in the original.

But hey, we can't get everything.

Ya I want a head. I was pissed whin I saw that quake2 didnt have one.

Fredrik said:

I prefer it small and headless.

Like you?
Sorry, couldn't resist :-P

Once the game source (not the engine source) is released it should be fairly straightforward for a mod maker to bring back the original hud.

Yeah well a mod with the face added is not the same thing as id adding it to the base game.
I want to live through the horrors of Doom 3 as id created them with the face peeking around and making me all nervous - not wait two more years to play a mod in possibly a different setting where a head is put in, which is likely of less quality than what id would've been able to do.

But it's a matter of preference and as I said: Can't get everything you want.

dsm said:Like you?
Sorry, couldn't resist :-P

Why do you think I put it that way? ;)

Fredrik said:

Why do you think I put it that way? ;)

Dunno, to politely indicate that you think it'd be totally headless to waste time doing an animated face for the HUD?
:-P

I imagined that for doom 3 floating head in the HUD would have more animations for it. The face could get more alerted when it hears a sudden noise, indicating possible danger.

The thing is though is that when an action or scary scene happens its the monster that you're going to be looking at not the mug.

BlueSonnet said:

The thing is though is that when an action or scary scene happens its the monster that you're going to be looking at not the mug.

Oh I know that, but the head still has its uses. Just when you stand still in an intersection, and casually glance down at the HUD and see that face peek around. It'll fill you with a mix of confidence (because the marine's face looks determined) but also make you a little nervous in a good way.

Also, when the old Doom marine mug made the grittin' teeth animation while I was busy unloading death into an enemy, it got me all giddy with sadistic joy. It sorta helped getting me deeper into the killing.

dsm said:

Also, when the old Doom marine mug made the grittin' teeth animation while I was busy unloading death into an enemy, it got me all giddy with sadistic joy. It sorta helped getting me deeper into the killing.

You sick bastard.:) It gave me the same fealing.

=MACVILE \/\/HORE= said:

Shut the fuck up and joke on puke and fucking die.

Joke on puke?

Yea I want the fuckin mug to, added to the feel of the game. It would really look nice besides that boreing hud they have right now.

By the way This is Tyockell i couldent get into my older account hell maybe i was banned i dunno but if not can I be put bak to my former position please?

We want da head!

And password retrieval doesnt work. Next time, write your pass down somewhere.

Naah, I'm happy with the way it is now. One of the main reasons they put that into Doom original was to alert you of which direction the enemy is coming from. It's a gimmick. It would look too cartoonish. It would take the realism away. I want to figure out where the enemies are coming from all by my self.

A ZDoom style HUD would work for me, with the original in there, but scaled down to small size, and with the actual HUD updated and appropriately badass.

Geez i got a lot of flack for saying me too.... ouch

Maybe the mug could be a code or option(that I would use of course)...

Junkoplenty said:

Geez i got a lot of flack for saying me too.... ouch

Oh don't mind Macvilewhore - he's the DW resident maniac who loves to act weird. Just ignore him if you find his comments...*ahem* out of order.

Naah, I'm happy with the way it is now. One of the main reasons they put that into Doom original was to alert you of which direction the enemy is coming from. It's a gimmick. It would look too cartoonish. It would take the realism away. I want to figure out where the enemies are coming from all by my self.

It served more purposes than that. Wolf3d had a similar mug face which didn't indicate the directions of the hits, but it still served the purpose of looking badass and providing a much better approximate indicator at how your health level was (the actual health percentage was really only useful for indicating exactly how much health you need to restore). If you notice blood red on the face, then you know that your health is below 100% without having to actually check your health meter.

I gotta admit that the directional indication functions didn't appeal to me, but in a way even that one *might* be a little more realistic since you can tell where you're hit from the pain. The flashing health points are no substitute as they only flash when you're really low on health.

But I want it to stay because it looked badass, enhanced the mood and because it still remains the best health inidcator to date imo. Oh yeah and because it'll automatically be a nostalgia element that will bring back some of the old Doom essence to some of us.

I doubt they'll include it, but if they did, they should provide a console command or option to turn it off. Just because some people want the mug, doesn't mean that those who want it to feel more realistic should be bothered by it.

Having an animated mug makes you feel like you're actually playing as a person, it makes you forget you're just playing a game. If your health is fucked, and you look down and see a guy with blood pouring out of both nostrils and out of fucking bullet holes in his forehead (LOL), then it kinda makes you think "shit, that guy still looks determined, this guy is fucking cool", and it inspires you to kick some ass, even though your health is at 3 percent.

Plus, you know, it draws you into the story- not that Doom had much of one, but it didn't matter, because it was just a damn cool, moody story that was well realised. Stories need characters.

It's also rather comical- I've been playing Doom for years but I still laugh out loud when I see that almightily goofy animation you get when you're nailed in the ass.

I think if the player had the ability to save 3-5 times per level (depending on difficulty level) anywhere in the mission, that it would have the best of both worlds so to speak. Also im new so... Hi. :)