Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crix

Getting that good ol' doom feelin'

I'm hoping the new Doom 3 Logo is the one that sticks, or some slightly modified version of it. The less-cartoony, more brushed metal version we're used to seeing DOES look more bad-ass but I hope this more pulp-horror/cartoony title logo is evidense that the guys at Id are trying to keep some of the arcade elements of the original game alive.

I hope Id can figure out how to create the right blend. How do you use a bad ass graphics engine that stresses ultra-realism with the arcade/pulp sci-fi personality of the original D00M? Hmm... maybe these somewhat "pulpy" spider like monsters will do the trick. I just think there has to be elements of the game that are somewhat cheesy. I hope you guys know what I mean here... it's hard to put my finger on this feeling.

Crix said:

I hope Id can figure out how to create the right blend. How do you use a bad ass graphics engine that stresses ultra-realism with the arcade/pulp sci-fi personality of the original D00M? Hmm... maybe these somewhat "pulpy" spider like monsters will do the trick. I just think there has to be elements of the game that are somewhat cheesy. I hope you guys know what I mean here... it's hard to put my finger on this feeling.

Put the mug back in the HUD and ensure that the "mad grin expression" is there, THEN you'll have the old arcadey feel back :-P

Hmm, all I care about is whether the weapons feel similar to the old ones:
Do possessed gun-toting soldiers go down easy, even when you use the pistol?
Does the shotgun hurl weaker enemies like zombies and imps back through the air like it did originally?
Does the machinegun effectively push back the weaker enemies?
Can the rocket laucher throw enemies in all directions like ragdolls like it used to do?

These are some of the things I care about.

dsm said:

Can the rocket laucher throw enemies in all directions like ragdolls like it used to do?

Hopefully. Although in the leaked alpha there was a consolecommand to enable the ragdoll physics, I don't see physics in the new trailer, except in the scripted parts. I hope that when you shoot a zombie with a shotgun it'll be blown against the wall like when it did when I enabled the ragdoll physics in the alpha.

It might not be realistic in real life, but it certainly looks great.

dsm said:

Does the shotgun hurl weaker enemies like zombies and imps back through the air like it did originally?

You must have been playing some crazy German version of Doom because I have never once seen the Doom SG "hurl" enemies anywhere.

Linguica said:

You must have been playing some crazy German version of Doom because I have never once seen the Doom SG "hurl" enemies anywhere.

Well it didn't hurl them more than any other weapon... anyways, afaik the shotgun in Doom 3 will give them a hurl.

=MACVILE \/\/HORE= said:

Haha, you need god mode on to shoot one lousy fuckimg imp :P

heh.. When I went to test it myself, I had degrelessness mode on as well :P

Linguica said:

All righty Mr. "Linguistically-correct-smartypants", then how would you describe it when you blast an imp and it flies a few feet backwards before it hits the dirt?

It's not like when you gun it down with the pistol, because then it just falls where it stands more or less.

I'm talking about the fact that the imp flies (not stumbles, flies) backwards in much the same manner as people that are shot by a shotgun in your typical action flick are thrown backwards by the impact of the pellets, which it does in my English language version of Doom and which it has done in every other version of the game I've seen.

Maybe your copy of Doom is some cheap Japanese version of the game, where all the enemies fall on the exact same spot where they're standing whenever you shoot them.

dsm said:

I'm talking about the fact that the imp flies (not stumbles, flies) backwards in much the same manner as people that are shot by a shotgun in your typical action flick are thrown backwards by the impact of the pellets

Sliding backwards = flying? Holy shit!

Images originally posted by Linguica

The imp looks more like moving side-way than hurling backwards...

You damn right i'm excited. I'm getting ready to camp outside the game shop (or i will get ready).

By the looks of things there was some ragdoll physics in that video, the zombie death looked convincing).

999cop said:

The imp looks more like moving side-way than hurling backwards...

That's because he freezed the game and skipped a few frames while walking 90 degrees around it to get a better view, dumbass.

The imp definately flies backwards, given that "flying" has many definitions. It doesn't have to leave the ground, but it is going backwards at a decent rate that may be considered flying in that direction in comparison to how slow the imp normally moves. This is especially true if you blast him while ur runnin at the bastard. If you don't consider this flying, at least you should know what dsm meant, and it'd be nice if this effect is included in the final game.

Yep the imp flies back for sure, It was one of my fav parts of the game gave the the shotty a nice feel like you really had some power and control in that shithole.
lol gotta love it when u open the door imp right there BANG!.....thump.

Fredrik said:

That's because he freezed the game and skipped a few frames while walking 90 degrees around it to get a better view, dumbass.

I know it would exactly bounce backwards for a few distance in game, I was only referring to the gif isn't showing what it really is.

In any case, the damn Imp is *pushed* back. In general, smaller baddies are pushed by bigger guns. Yeah, and I think Id is gonna give us this one in Doom3. Great! :) It gives such a sense of power to "move some mass" and preserves that good ol' Doom feelin'.

I think the pace is pretty nice... the character speed is definately a lot slower than the original but the monsters aren't having any trouble moving! Holy shit, did you see that tentacle commando charging! Running AND fucking leaping at you! Sweet! :D

Admittedly, I was quite negative about Doom 3 having so slow movement speed. Now I'm fuckin' psyked about it.
Doom 3 is gonna be the opposite of Doom in terms of speed: Player movement slower, but enemy movements a lot faster.
But that's really what'll make it cool I think.

dsm said:

Admittedly, I was quite negative about Doom 3 having so slow movement speed. Now I'm fuckin' psyked about it.
Doom 3 is gonna be the opposite of Doom in terms of speed: Player movement slower, but enemy movements a lot faster.
But that's really what'll make it cool I think.

I think some gaming site said the pace had increased since the alpha thingie.

Shaviro said:

I think some gaming site said the pace had increased since the alpha thingie.

You can't always trust gaming sites :-P

dsm said:

You can't always trust gaming sites :-P

noooooooooooo really!?!?!? :P

I'm sure the fact that an imp flies back when you blast it with the shotty will have little or no impact on how well Doom3 sells. Regardless, I'm sure id will have that in there, since they've already said that they have a realistic physics engine in the game.

DooMBoy said:

I'm sure the fact that an imp flies back when you blast it with the shotty will have little or no impact on how well Doom3 sells. Regardless, I'm sure id will have that in there, since they've already said that they have a realistic physics engine in the game.

It'll have an impact on my overall appreciation of the game. That's enough for me.