DSDA page

aka kdikdizd // kdikdizd.wad // knee deep in knee deep in zdoom

Knee-Deep in KDiZD

Caoc Award winner 2022.

Demos recorded using -complevel 2

MAP13 UVMAX in 3:42.46

KDiKDi13-342.zip

Attempts: 37

Map rating: 9/10. Generally nice design and impressive stretching of Vanilla Doom.

UVMAX Rating: 8/10. Flows well, secrets add extra gameplay. Low RNG.

Spoiler

MAP14 UVMAX in 6:17.40

KDiKDi14-617.zip

Attempts: 17

Map rating: 9/10. Generally nice design and impressive stretching of Vanilla Doom.

UVMAX Rating: 7/10. Green keycard secret adds backtracking which is a bit janky, overall not terrible. Bit longer then I like for maps.

Spoiler

MAP15 UVMAX in 11:50.11

KDiKDi15-1150.zip

Attempts: 22

Map rating: 8/10. Generally nice design and impressive stretching of Vanilla Doom. Areas feel a bit unconnected at times.

UVMAX Rating: 7/10. Feels like two separate maps being ran, and the secret exit is a bit janky in terms of adding it to the run.

Spoiler

Edited by Maribo

After thinking about this for a while, here goes nothing...

Knee-Deep in Knee-Deep in ZDoom Fast monsters

Each map is already placed in a single file with a text file comment on each of them.

Map 13 (Z1M1) - 07:11.91
Map 14 (Z1M2) - 13:09.37
Map 15 (Z1M3) - 34:12.06
Map 16 (Z1M4) - 43:58.51
Map 17 (Z1M5) - 29:55.31
Map 18 (Z1M6) - 26:39.86
Map 19 (Z1M7) - 31:49.03
Map 20 (Z1M8) - 28:55.34 (288/309, or roughly 93% possible kills)
Map 31 (Z1M9) - 18:27.83

PWAD:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/kdikdizd

kf.zip

On 5/28/2023 at 3:30 AM, SPEEDSTAR "SPEEDY" said:

my first gamble in the pacifist rabbit hole

was this random? yes, and as you can tell im no zero master.

If someone can help me with strategy's or critical thoughts, please reply with them so I can learn 

Source port: DSDA-Doom 

IWAD: DOOM1

Map: E1M1 (Hangar)

demo.zip

Hi, if you want the demo accepted to the DSDA, you'll want to include a textfile and reupload it as a new post, sample text file:

PWAD: something.wad
PWAD Name: Name
Map: ##
Skill: 4
Category: UV-Max
Exe: DSDA-Doom #.##.# complevel ##
Recorded on: Date
Time: #:##
Author: player_name
Description:

You may want to name the demo something more standard, based on existing naming conventions on DSDA (in your case, e1m1p026.lmp). Ideally, your txt, zip, and lmp file all have the same name as well. This isn't totally required for demo submission, but it is best to follow these conventions as well.

As for tips, well I would suggest practicing your movement a lot more, you're not taking much advantage of straferunning (i.e., running diagonally, which provides a speed boost over regular running), and you are bumping a lot of monsters/walls and pressing doors slowly. For E1M1, you don't need to grab the green armor either, you can just run through the map, though if you are having trouble with no armor, the secret route with the blue armor is a better choice since you go to that switch anyway, and the route isn't a whole lot slower than the regular path.

Knee Deep in Knee Deep in ZDoom is a 9 (technically 13) map wad for Doom 2 (-complevel 2) by Esselfortium and the KDiKDiZD team. The suggested naming format is "kdiXY-ZZZ.lmp", where XY is the map number and ZZZ is the time. Replace the "-" with a letter to represent categories such as NM (n), fast (f), etc.

Here's the download

Technical info: This map set starts at MAP13 not MAP01, so make sure you start from there. Also, this wad will not load in DSDA-Doom v0.27.0 through v0.27.3 due to a bug with the SNDINFO lump, so use v0.27.4 or later to run it. Last thing is to load KDiKDiZD_A.wad and KDiKDiZD_B.wad together for it to play properly

Edited by tewgytaylor : Added last bit of technical info