Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bloodshedder

Demos as Usual

I submitted a few demos with some earlier DOOM versions recently. Wondering if anybody out there watched them, beside me and Ops that is =).
Anyone out there still toting that v1.2 engine?

I watched your Trinity demos (marvellous, and of special interest to me since I know the college pretty well), but haven't got round to downgrading to watch the UAC_DEAD ones yet. I will do so in due course though, probably on a non-XP machine, so I don't have to use -nosound.

Heh, has anyone sat through my ISM demo? This was "just to show it's possible", and I'd regard -timedemo as essential.

Grazza said:
I watched your Trinity demos (marvellous,

Thank you.

and of special interest to me since I know the college pretty well),

Is that "Bicycles must not be left in this archway" sign still around?

but haven't got round to downgrading to watch the UAC_DEAD ones yet. I will do so in due course though, probably on a non-XP machine, so I don't have to use -nosound.

Should have gotten Win2000 instead <g>.

Heh, has anyone sat through my ISM demo? This was "just to show it's possible", and I'd regard -timedemo as essential.

Ah, that demo =).
As a matter o'fact, last Tuesday I started watching it. Sat through almost 20min of it before finally nodding off, heheh, and it wasn't the demo, really. Well, okay, it wasn't all the demo's fault, was just pretty tired.

The demo actually is not all that bad, and I fully intend to watch it today through to the victorious end. Well, you mentioned you didn't manage to kill everything off; that's gonna bug me. I hate it when you can't get 100% kills. the reason I spent three months (on and off) on that Serenity movie was to get those last two Demons on E3M1 to teleport and die ... Okay, think I should stop before I type 20 pages more about that particular level and demo ... =)

Never_Again said:

Is that "Bicycles must not be left in this archway" sign still around?

Don't know; I haven't been there recently. Probably though (can't tell from this photo). The lawns should really have signs telling people not to walk on them too.

Never_Again said:

Well, you mentioned you didn't manage to kill everything off; that's gonna bug me.

I think Max is probably impossible, due to the ten cyberdemons in alcoves just before the exit.

Never_Again said:

I submitted a few demos with some earlier DOOM versions recently. Wondering if anybody out there watched them, beside me and Ops that is =).
Anyone out there still toting that v1.2 engine?

Yeah. Although I don't have DOOM v1.2 registered I remember watching at least one v1.2 demo from you (on that Return to Phobos map that doesn't work with newer versions) by renaming a copy of doom.wad v1.9 to doom1.wad and loading the PWAD and running the demo, using the engine from the shareware for v1.2... As long as it's not an v1.2 IWAD demo it'll work.

myk said:
Yeah. Although I don't have DOOM v1.2 registered
No reason that you shouldn't. See the .txt file accompanying my recent UAC_DEAD demos for detailed instructions on turning your Ultimate DOOM install into v1.2reg.

I remember watching at least one v1.2 demo from you (on that Return to Phobos map that doesn't work with newer versions)
Yep, that be E1M2. What a pity, such a lovely level.<sigh>. Here's to hoping that prBoom 2.3 delivers the promised v1.2 support.

by renaming a copy of doom.wad v1.9 to doom1.wad and loading the PWAD and running the demo, using the engine from the shareware for v1.2...
A stroke of genius =). Incidentally, that's how that particular demo was recorded last summer, heheh. I used the reg version for the UAC_DEAD demos though.

As long as it's not an v1.2 IWAD demo it'll work.
There could be some issues, because AFAIK a v1.9 IWAD doesn't have some v1.2 lumps, but it shouldn't be anything fatal.

Btw, thank you for the kind words, I'll be sure to pass them on to Maikl as well ...
Muy amable.

Never_Again said:

myk said:[/B]
I remember watching at least one v1.2 demo from you (on that Return to Phobos map that doesn't work with newer versions)
Yep, that be E1M2. What a pity, such a lovely level.<sigh>. Here's to hoping that prBoom 2.3 delivers the promised v1.2 support.

I don't know if it would help but if you load return01.wad E1M2 into an editor and change linedef #1248 to type 140 (S1 raise 512) it works in Doom v1.666 and above.

In fact you can do this with a byte editor. Go to position 0x5ebc1 (388033) and change it from 0x12 (18) to 0x8c (140)

I always thought it was a remarkable coincidence that the rocket platform in front of the Icon Of Sin happens to need to be raised exactly the same height as the exit platform in this map.

Changing a linedef action doesn't require a nodebuild so unless there's some other incompatibility it's quite possible the demo won't go wrong, could someone with it to hand check this?

Never_Again said:

I submitted a few demos with some earlier DOOM versions recently. Wondering if anybody out there watched them

OK, I've watched them now. The downgrading was straightforward enough, and the demos played back fine. Good stuff - up to your usual high standard.

Never_Again's textfile said:

Another snag is that v1.2 demos don't allow for a end-level tally
screen; I may have another go at it with v1.666 when I find the
appropriate upgrade patch for this reason.

I think the file you need is called dm1666rp.zip. Here is a link that is currently working.

RjY said:
I don't know if it would help but if you load return01.wad E1M2 into an editor and change linedef #1248 to type 140 (S1 raise 512) it works in Doom v1.666 and above.

A plausible hack. But I don't like the idea of modifying a level, especially something as old and venerable as RTP, to record a demo. IMO, that messes with the author's design and is akin to cheating =).

I always thought it was a remarkable coincidence that the rocket platform in front of the Icon Of Sin happens to need to be raised exactly the same height as the exit platform in this map.

Interesting coincidence. 512 is standard metric in DOOM levels though.

Changing a linedef action doesn't require a nodebuild so unless there's some other incompatibility it's quite possible the demo won't go wrong, could someone with it to hand check this?

Unfortunately, this won't work. There seem to be enough engine differences between v1.2 and later versions to guarantee desync. I have to give the prBoom team credit: prBoom does try to play the demo as is, but things go awry rather early on in the demo, less than a minute into it.

Btw, how's your beta going? I regret to say I failed as a tester - had some Win98 issues to sort out earlier this year (lost about 130 Gig of valuable data irretrievably) and then another month tackling Win2000 ...

Grazza said:
OK, I've watched them now. The downgrading was straightforward enough, and the demos played back fine. Good stuff - up to your usual high standard.

I think the file you need is called dm1666rp.zip. Here is a link that is currently working.

Thank you muchly on both counts.

Never_Again said:
No reason that you shouldn't. See the .txt file accompanying my recent UAC_DEAD demos for detailed instructions on turning your Ultimate DOOM install into v1.2reg.

Excellent... and the demos were fun to watch too. Heh, I had played uac_dead pretty much when I was new to PWADs from a collection CD I had, but I think I had missed some of the secrets.

I even got 1.1 to run... I had thought I couldn't before, even going back to DOS (Windows 98's DOS) but actually I rebooted to that DOS and it did work. Even the 1.0 (or 0.99) shareware works... that means everything works, from alpha 0.2 and up, heh.

Grazza said:

More DOOM godness! Thanks.

myk said:
Excellent... and the demos were fun to watch too.{/i]

Glad to oblige.

[i]Heh, I had played uac_dead pretty much when I was new to PWADs from a collection CD I had, but I think I had missed some of the secrets.

Same here. Was long long time ago - I don't even remember any problems with the red key!

I even got 1.1 to run... I had thought I couldn't before, even going back to DOS (Windows 98's DOS) but actually I rebooted to that DOS and it did work. Even the 1.0 (or 0.99) shareware works... that means everything works, from alpha 0.2 and up, heh.

Believe it or not, all pre-1.2 versions run just fine under Win2000. No more those "Z_ChangeTag: an owner is required for purgable blocks" errors, like under Win9x. Neat, huh? Admittedly, there's some sound tweaking to be done first (SoundFX 2000 really works), but the end result is extremely pleasing.

Never_Again said:
Same here. Was long long time ago - I don't even remember any problems with the red key!

It happens only with The Ultimate DOOM, even DOOM v1.9 can deal with it as Leo Martin Lim designed it... but it's weird, how it lowers only after the Cyberdemon dies. It seems related to the 666 tag, which is used on the sector surrounding the Cyberdemon as well as on the one it stands on.

Most people can't get doom to have sound on Windows 2000, so that's quite an achievement there. You might want to document how you set it up for people to try.

Sign in to follow this