Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
revenant_fister

Hi-res Doom Sprites

This has probably been asked before, but does anyone know of a wad which replaces the old Doom sprites with higher res ones with more frames? This would be too damn cool.

I mean, there seem to be plenty of fan artists out there, maybe someone could get something together.

Actually, most of them suck and look like someone went wild with the emboss effect in PSP. I saw some good ones by a guy called Fredrik though, I think.

I can't think of any that replace the old sprites but Cyb made some high-res sprites for Massmouth.

My bughunt 2 wad im working on has hi-res ants, the ant sprite is the size of a spiderdemon but it has been shrunk down using EDGE's sprite scale function to less than the size of a demon, it looks cool XD

I LOVE the hi-res textures! It really enhances the Doom experience a lot. If you have broadband, I reccomend downloadin' it. With 56k, it's 10 hours, though. There's only two real problems: The switch alignments are really off for a lot of 'em, and some do suck. But overall, it's REALLY cool, and definately worth at least a look. If you're skeptical, at least run jDoom with and see if it changes your mind.

Like you say, you'd need an engine that could scale down the high-res sprites.

A while ago, somebody (I forget who) put together high-res Baron of Hell sprites. Looked really good, but they were four times the size of the normal baron sprite.

when it's done, the Doom 64 TC uses the high-res Doom 64 TC sprites. and they can be scaled down for zdoom and edge... errr but it's not done yet.

Hows about a TC that has the detailed sprites from Doom 64, the sound from PSX doom, and the detailed textures from that hi res texture project? That way, you could use all that shit with the original levels, and you'd get the best experience possible.

IMJack said:

A while ago, somebody (I forget who) put together high-res Baron of Hell sprites. Looked really good, but they were four times the size of the normal baron sprite.

I remember that. That same guy did the same thing for the Cacodemon sprites. Looked pretty cool, as I recall.

http://testzero.keenspace.com/images/BigCacoSpriteSheet.gif
http://testzero.keenspace.com/images/BigBaronCleaner.gif

These the sprites you meant? :)

I don't know the exact way I resized them and cleaned them up, but it worked rather well, at least at the time I did it. I should try and recreate the same effect with Photoshop instead of psp, might be able to make it faster, stronger, better. :)

ToXiCFLUFF said:

I saw some good ones by a guy called Fredrik though, I think.

Fredrik is an excellent texturez0r. Sexcellent, even.

Anyone have these two sets in a .wad? Be nice to put them in your skins directory so it automatically loads them up.

Nanami said:

Anyone have these two sets in a .wad? Be nice to put them in your skins directory so it automatically loads them up.

if you pester me about it later today i might get on that ;)

that is, if it hasn't been done already.

Hello! ^_^

I went back in time, found the thread that told people how to make the sprites appear higher res, and tried it out on an imp sheet I had lying around. Not quite as good as the origionals, but I have to relearn how to do it. ^^; Besides, when scaled down it should look ok. :)

http://testzero.keenspace.com/images/BigImp.gif

It would be nice if someone actually made a wad of these three and gave out a link to it... *hinthint* *winkwink* *nudgenudge* *stabstab* :) If someone does, I might just go an finish the job I started... :D

DemonDemon said:

Hello! ^_^

I went back in time, found the thread that told people how to make the sprites appear higher res, and tried it out on an imp sheet I had lying around. Not quite as good as the origionals, but I have to relearn how to do it. ^^; Besides, when scaled down it should look ok. :)

http://testzero.keenspace.com/images/BigImp.gif

It would be nice if someone actually made a wad of these three and gave out a link to it... *hinthint* *winkwink* *nudgenudge* *stabstab* :) If someone does, I might just go an finish the job I started... :D

Heh, the pic don't show up.

How many times are you gonna fuck up?

Oh, and those pics arent loading. I tried going into the /images dir and I get a 403.

ravage said:

How many times are you gonna fuck up?

Oh, and those pics arent loading. I tried going into the /images dir and I get a 403.

Who me? I learned, I refuse to [IMG] whore from now on, my posts will now be of a somewhat respectable manner, heh.

macvileVVhore said:

Who me? I learned, I refuse to [IMG] whore from now on, my posts will now be of a somewhat respectable manner, heh.

Your fate go'eth before the forum gods.

Ok, keenspace seems to be working now (as of this specific time that I am posting I can access all the pics). While I was waiting, I took the krappy resized imp and made a test wad out of it. There's a deh in the wad that sizes the sprite down to half. Looks great in zdoomgl. :D I didn't bother to put a txt file in the thing because all I did was resize the origional sprites and passed them through a few diffrent thingys till they looked good, so I didn't bother to lay any claim that they were mine (after resizing or to begin with in the first place. :).

http://testzero.keenspace.com/images/HIRES1.zip (180K)

So any *duct tape*t*duct tape*akers on converting these sprite sheets, or should I just drop the whole hires *duct tape*t*duct tape*hing? :)

(edit)*duct tapes a few 't's in there... ^^; (/edit)