Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cyb

We Love Carmack!

Due to E3, natch, there's been quite a bit of new news and info and movies and screenshots about Doom 3 (or Doom^3 as it were) and Gamespot has once again come through with the goods (though you don't need to pay them and use their download util to get this) on a short Q&A session The Carmack gave. Here's a small snippit:

He didn't give any specific clues but said that it [the gamesave system] may be significantly different from what players are used to in previous id games. Given that in past games you were allowed to save anywhere, perhaps the company is considering a between-missions limitation for saving in the new game. When asked how long the game would be, Carmack wouldn't commit to a specific length but said that he favors the recent trend in the game industry toward shorter games with richer, deeper content packed into the duration.

There's also some stuff on disabling the real time shadows (for lower end machines) and how the id guys have gone about modeling some of the human characters in the game. It's a short, but informative read, and no doubt there will be more info spilled about Doom 3 before the expo ends.

Shorter?!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm getting fucking sick of "Shorter games with richer, deeper content". Over too fucking soon, leave you wanting more.

Never_Again said:

Some ppl need to get their heads out of Carmack's ass.

Aww! But it's such a nice ass...

Dammit, I hate short games. Over too soon. So what if they're "richer and deeper"? They're still short.

Remember kiddies, the original Doom can be beaten in 13:30...

And 16:17 to play through all of Doom 2 in UV. (18:49 for NM)

Though, all those times are outdated today since many new tricks have been discovered...

Look at competn and name me a faster completion time for the Doom 2 speed runs.

Arioch said:

Look at competn and name me a faster completion time for the Doom 2 speed runs.

None exist, but they're very well doable with TAS as you can record one level at a time. The 16:17/18:49 runs are TAS but rely on outdated routes in some levels.

I think it is going to be something similar with Heretic II

-Short
-Deep gameplay
-Return to the first moments of the history

Linguica said:
Remember kiddies, the original Doom can be beaten in 13:30...

But how many years that took to happen?

well atleast we know that doom3 wont suck like unreal2 that game was a joke lol a pathetic excuse for a fps...unreal2 was not only short but way to easy and the levels were just cramped and the monsters sucked ass....theres nothing cool about that game and it was uber slow... i mean shit the faggot from USMW was faster than unreal2 character oi...ya as doom gets older dooms kiddies are like getting slower and shorter and dumber..oi we need speed agin damn it

DooMBoy said:

Dammit, I hate short games. Over too soon. So what if they're "richer and deeper"? They're still short.

Makes for good add-on sales though. :)

so many addons are just like "hey! this is the game we SHOULD HAVE MADE IN THE FIRST PLACE! buy it!"

i think its sorta a symptom of trying to create content without a solid engine and/or tools to use. once the game has shipped, everything has finalized and the team is comfortable, so its a snap to put together more content.

Sign in to follow this