Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaviro

Sound/Music in trailer is NOT Trent's work?!

Read.

This news item surfaced today. So it appears Mr. Reznor stopped his work with id software and that his sounds/music won't be used for Doom 3...

Do you guys remember sometime back in December/January? id software was looking for a new sound designer and we were all wondering why...

Did any of you notice how all the sounds in the trailer were different from those in the alpha leak + video?

You do the maths.

NailGunner said:

Color me very dissapointed...

Why? I like the sounds/music in the trailer.

Shaviro said:

Why? I like the sounds/music in the trailer.

Well, I guess I could be being overcritical here, for I have yet to see the new trailer. I was just looking forward to Doom 3 having the Reznor touch to it.

NailGunner said:

Well, I guess I could be being overcritical here, for I have yet to see the new trailer. I was just looking forward to Doom 3 having the Reznor touch to it.

Go see the trailer, the sounds are very nice.

I'll have to do that when I get home, as the government LAN has it firewalled here. Any word on the new sound designer?

NailGunner said:

I'll have to do that when I get home, as the government LAN has it firewalled here. Any word on the new sound designer?

Nope. (ofcourse. This whole Trent not working there anymore thing is not confirmed officially)

I don´t care that much for the music (in the trailer or in the game, if there is in-game music at all), the ambient sound is much more important. And the ambient sound in last years E3 movie was excellent.

Fredrik said:

Why aren't they simply keeping Trent's present stuff? Definitely beyond me...

Perhaps he didn't want them to use it...

All possible reasons. Who knows? Perhaps it would be a breach of a past contract or something of the like.

Just watched the new E3 video, and it sounds pretty good. I didn't want it to end...

First Multiplaying announcement of doom3, then Half Life 2 being Jaw dropping, and then this...

wtf did Trent do?

Damned shame.

/me goes and opens the sound files from alpha and cries in what may have transpired.

Where is MR. Bobby Prince?
I love his talented musics from origianl Doom.
- especially E1M5(personally this one is the best doom feeling delieverd track), E1M7, E2M6, E2M7.

I hope it's true, Quake had such shitty music. I'd also like to see BP do the music for D3. He can actually put together melodies, instead of just stringin together a bunch of fucking noises like Trent Reznor did for Quake.

Forget about the music! Do you think Bobby Prince could produce AMBIENT SOUND in the same quality like Trent did? I don´t think so!

Err, I don't think getting decent ambient sounds will be a huge difficulty or even very significant in the grand scheme of it. The quality of the music is a lot more important, and a much bigger factor in the enjoyment of the game.

I thought the sounds and music were fuckin sweet in the trailer I like that sound change to the shotgun to its louder and more clear.

DaJuice said:

Err, I don't think getting decent ambient sounds will be a huge difficulty or even very significant in the grand scheme of it. The quality of the music is a lot more important, and a much bigger factor in the enjoyment of the game.

Wrong! Ambient sound is essential. Ambient sound is just as important as looks to create athmosphere, maybe even more important. Ambient sound is directly connected with your environment, it breathes life into the environment.
Music is just an extra many players turn off anyway.

I think music is a little more important than amibient sounds.
I can't stand the game lacking of good musics, however, can stand the game lacking of good ambient sounds(in other words, I can live with average ambient sounds).

No matter what the game, I always turn music off. Just use ambience and sfx

cloud4me: But it´s that ambient sound and the other in-game sound, like the sound of monsters, the player, weapons etc., is more essential then music. If you say you could live with avarage ambient sound if only the music is good, it´s a bit like saying you could live with avarge graphics if only the menues and the box art looks kick ass :)

I don´t have anything against good music, I just don´t think it is such important. And I will turn the music off if it´s getting in the way of the in-game sound.

dude, I think the music itself is very important element in DOOM and big contributor to whole game feeling(at least in DOOM). I mean ambient sounds are wind, rain, thunder, wall-cracking, etc..not weapons, monsters(these are just BASIC sounds and absolutely important in the game). Sorry my broken English, but you could understnad what I mean. :)

Ahh.. so thats why the sound in the trailer sucked so much ass, i thought it was my speakers

Actually a LOT of the sounds in the trailer were either

a. excactly the same as the alpha
b. much worse than the alpha, with less bass and distinctness

And lets not forget Reznor made the Legendary "Quad DAmage" sound, he deserves an award for that alone

a. excactly the same as the alpha
b. much worse than the alpha, with less bass and distinctness

That's cuz you're listening to a compressed movie file, duh! Of course the sounds aren't gonna be as good as the original source.
Tetzlaff, I guess it's just a difference of opinion. To me Doom wouldn't be the same without tracks like E1M5, E1M7, E1M8.

umm, th illegal leaked video is WORSE quality and its done from a shackycam on top of that!

no thats not what i meant, im not talking about quality, i mean STYLE. for example when the skulls surround the marine and he loses his soul, you hear this awesome deap sound in the original, in the new video it sounds like some asshole breathing into the mic