Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Plutonia vs. Evilution

TNT vs. Plutonia, which is better?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. TNT vs. Plutonia, which is better?

• Tnt is better than Plutonia
    • Plutonia is clearly the winner
    • I don\'t like either
    • I like them both about the same
    • No comment
    • Needs more impsex

TNT has some nice maps, but the sprawling, searching, low action maps are just not my thing.
Plutonia rocks(although there are several pwads which are better now).

Plutonia, though I think Evilution is pretty good too (and doesn't deserve the abuse that sometimes gets hurled at it).

Hmm, I always thought that Plutonia was clearly better than TNT, which seemed amateurish, both in design and play and such.

Id have to go with plutonia
only because of the type of atmosphear in it, it was more demonic in my eyes.
More aged looking and more gothic, especialy the second map with the hall ways and traps rigged to release hell knights and spectres, was my favorite level.

We've had this many a time. It's largely a matter of preference, especially with colours, but for me TNT totally owns Plutonia. Creepier, more realistic, less farking BROWN! And space levels, whee...

Plutonia of couse, tnt is too boring for me compared to plutonia.

Plutonia for a consistent and overall better looking theme and for also pushing play in a more defined and intelligent way. TNT is OK, but it kind of drifts a bit (seemingly due to the fact that many people worked on it.)

Neither one was good enough to hold my attention for the duration.

I, personally, still hold with TNT, even though I had a play through it yesterday, and the maps are definitely showing their age, but that doesn't mean they're not good. However, some of the later maps (such as Administration Center) just don't make any sense whatsoever. I was playing through it and I was like Huh wtf is this place supposed to be anyway? Oh well, I'll still pick TNT over Plutonia any day, since it's the more fun to be had with the two, IMO.

DooMBoy said:

However, some of the later maps (such as Administration Center) just don't make any sense whatsoever. I was playing through it and I was like Huh wtf is this place supposed to be anyway?

...and that's the reason why I like Plutonia better. Many of the later maps in TNT are just bad. Of the last third there is only one good map (Map23), IMHO and among the earlier maps there are also a few duds (e.g. Map07). Plutonia is much more consistent although a tad hard so I mostly play it on HMP.

I think TNT is more charming and evocative at times. It also has a lot more variation. Most of the levels have a pretty good theme (and the few WTF'es is part of the Doom experience for me).

It also continues difficulty-wise where Doom 2 left off making it a better deal for the casual player.

But it is a rather wobbly ride. The difficulty often takes drastic descents and dives. The otherwise impressive map19 is for example hardly any harder than map01 (except for speedrunning). Also the intro-like map23 is weird crammed into a series of more hellish stuff in the later half of the game.

But the majority of maps are beautiful and there is a great variety of themes presented.

Plutonia on the other hand is a tight affair that shows that it has been made by a very small team (two brothers). The whole wad has a unifying style that can best be described as Doom 2 style with the architechtural savvy of Doom. Still the maps have enough individual difference that it never becomes totally boring. Generally this is my idea of how Doom 2 ought to have looked architechturally. The new textures fits perfectly and naturally in with the existing making nothing seem tacked on at all.

The gameplay offers an official alternative for the experienced doomer who have grown out of Doom 2's difficulty level. A laudable initiative. For the less skilled Doomer I can ensure you that it is quite enjoyable on the lower skill levels if you are persistent. While the difficulty is high the learning curve is a gentle slope upwards with only the last level and the secret levels sticking out (and maybe also that demented arch-vile maze).

I am a TNT fan because I like bombastic levels and quirkiness, though I have a great respect for the pervading savvy coolness of Plutonia's design.

TNT map 20 has true Doom atmosphere. Plutonia doesn't get close IMO.

Oh, and the music for that map totally owns it.

TNT's levels are awesome, but are a cakewalk. Plutonia, though it actually poses a challenge is no way as great level wise. Of course, Alien Vendetta owns them both. :P

pritch said:

TNT map 20 has true Doom atmosphere. Plutonia doesn't get close IMO.

Oh, and the music for that map totally owns it.

Agreed!

I liked both initially but after playing through them my opinion of them was significantly lower. TNT, while not much to look at, was more enjoyable until the last level. I had to turn off autoaiming before I could finish the boss off. The rockets kept hitting the bad guys below me, frequently blowing up in my face. Plutonia looked better overall but there were far too many spots with fights that were totally lacking in imagination and designed to piss the player off rather than challenge him. I got frustrated and deleted it around MAP08. I've got better things to do than wear out my F9 and Y keys. Their "official" status was the only thing that stopped me hurling the CD into the trash.