Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KouraJio

Pratica: A amateur wad

This a simple wad with only a few maps, 7 in total. Its a old wad that i created while learning UDB and mapping in general. Feedback is aprecciated.

PraticaTelaP.png.e514f768e2f3bd23731f238e7b39a483.png

Iwad: Doom 2

Gamemode: Cooperative.

Jumping, Crouching and Freelook: Recommended to reach some spots.

OpenGL: Recommended, a lot of 3D Sectors and Floors.

Ports: Zandronum/Skulltag mainly. Zandronum UDMF  was used while mappin.

Download: Pratica.rar

Download (GoogleDrive): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NHomy96DMLWfTooKoCFob3TPQb5v8C-H/view?usp=share_link

As always, feedback is welcome and aprecciated and will help me to improve in the future.

this was a super weird set of maps. I don't know exactly how i feel about them.

For a start, there are a lot of cool ideas and distinctive architecture. Good lighting.

but on the other hand, every decision feels ultra-random. Items that are just unreachable, even with jumping, a lot of doors and switches non-functional.
enemies located in very strange positions.

Sorry if this sounds disrespectful but, there's some kind of AI used in the process of making the maps?

Cause my general experience is that: random. some cool stuff, but a lot of random stuff.

1 hour ago, RED77 said:

this was a super weird set of maps. I don't know exactly how i feel about them.

For a start, there are a lot of cool ideas and distinctive architecture. Good lighting.

but on the other hand, every decision feels ultra-random. Items that are just unreachable, even with jumping, a lot of doors and switches non-functional.
enemies located in very strange positions.

Sorry if this sounds disrespectful but, there's some kind of AI used in the process of making the maps?

Cause my general experience is that: random. some cool stuff, but a lot of random stuff.

Dont worry, its not disrespectful. Its just random maps and ideas that i got and put in paper. Thats why im asking for feedback, this will help me to improve next work. Thx.

Made it through MAP01 and MAP02.

From another amateur mapper: I like your architecture.  The rooms I was inhabiting felt real and organic.  Map layout is also okay, pretty straight-forward and did not feel lost until MAP03.

A walk in the park for difficulty.  The areas would have been much more fascinating if they were home to some more action.

The lighting was good in some areas, but obviously unfinished in others.  Still much better than I am able to produce, so I won't hold it against you that some of the areas need touch-ups.

Overall a good amateur work that feels very DOOM 1.  I enjoyed my brief stay and would have finished the mapset if there were more weapons and combat variety between the large, sprawling areas with almost nothing going on.

56 minutes ago, KouraJio said:

Dont worry, its not disrespectful. Its just random maps and ideas that i got and put in paper. Thats why im asking for feedback, this will help me to improve next work. Thx.

Cool, I'll be looking for future maps!

I completer Pratica.wad with LZDoom, and brutalv21.13.2 Brutal Doom Community Expansion mod, overall well designed maps, 70/100. The negatives, these maps are very empty maps. The maps are full of empty space, and there are no enemies in parts of the maps. WAD difficulty, the maps are not very challenging with plenty of health, armor, and ammo in each map. Most enemies will appear in 1 location in a map, and all of the enemies will be out in the open. My recommendations, I wouldn't imagine someone building such large maps alone, because building these large maps with a greater amount of quality will take ages. I recommend not building such giant sized maps, but that is completely up to you. I would prefer to see 1 large, high quality map instead of several large, and low quality maps if that is the plan.

I played through the first map. I might play rest of the maps later.

I think it was a decent enough map. I really liked the attention to lighting. Now my quick suggestion would be to use a different texture for doors that are opened remotely. It's not really a big deal, especially since the map is on the smaller side, but it would help with the map's readability. 

Also the door track textures were not unpegged, so you may want to fix that if it's not intentional.

Edited by JJBoren