Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

Unsung heroes

Recently, a friend of mine was called up to active duty from the National Guards. This was just before the gulf war started. Just about the time that the war ended he was shipped out - to Afghanistan. Behind, he left his wife and 5 year old daughter and many friends. He has been gone for weeks now and I just found out where he was sent. I'm sure he wasn't alone and he and those with him will not get the recognition the gulf veterans will get but their sacrifice is just as great. Please remember these unsung heroes.

Just sang about him while showering, you have to change the title of the post now.

One of the people where I work was sent to Afghanistan. He married his fiance two weeks before leaving, some six months ago. In an ironic twist if fate, his wife was one of the unfortunates that never made it out of The Station fire in West Warwick. It was one of the stories that made it on Fox News in the months after the fire for obvious reasons, and because he's also suing everyone and everything that had to do with the fire.

Don't worry. The grunts holding Iraq aren't getting any kudos either, and are in just as much danger as their fellows in Afghanistan.

The fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan is far from over, and all the Marines and "elites" come home and get their pictures in the paper while the real infantry fight and die in two wars nobody cares about anymore.

I was once sent on a 3 hour tour, but the ocean started getting rough.

IMJack said:

The fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan is far from over, and all the Marines and "elites" come home and get their pictures in the paper while the real infantry fight and die in two wars nobody cares about anymore.

Sad, but too true.

Peacekeeping operations are more heroic than assaults.

Send some troops to Congo. They need them down there.

IMJack said:

Very, very well said.

the_Danarchist said:

I was once sent on a 3 hour tour, but the ocean started getting rough.

Was your tiny ship tossed? Were it not for your courage, would the crew have been lost?

DooMBoy said:

Was your tiny ship tossed? Were it not for your courage, would the crew have been lost?

And then I ate the Skipper.

the_Danarchist said:

And then I ate the Skipper.

i will sing about this hero.