Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ah, a classic level design theme. I really should do something like this eventually :p

Holy shit.

On 3/3/2023 at 2:56 PM, FishyClockwork said:

Even after reaching the airport section I'm not sure I've seen everything, heh.

Me either. In fact, I'm sure I haven't. I'm gonna spoiler some thoughts here so people who've played it can start putting their heads together if they want. I'm sure it's going to take more than one person to crack all this. For those new to the thread, please don't read this until you've played the map through once. Or if you want to keep looking for mysteries yourself for the time being, probably don't look at this either.

Spoiler

Ended the map with a route that went: regular house (several versions, and I think the route through them all is one-way) => ruined house 1 => abstract brutalist (two or three connected versions) => airport house => airplane => ruined house 2 => empty lot for sale/exit.

Got 81/117 kills, so there must be more realities with more monsters somewhere.

Didn't get the 1 secret. No idea where it is.

Got 1/3 items, which was the health bonus in the airport. Another item is a Megasphere that you can ledge jump for in the abstract brutalist reality with Evil Dog. However, once you get on this ledge, there seems to be no way off, so I had to reload and didn't get the item. The third one I guess would be the Soulsphere that you can see out of the window in Regular House, but I don't know how to get to it.

There's a panel in the abstract brutalist section that requires the blue keycard. This is the only one of the six keys I never found, so I have no idea what's there.

I found the section Jimmy was talking about, but I'm assuming it's an easter egg for noclippers and is meant as a dead end. I didn't look too hard for a way out, but I don't think there is one.

I checked to determine that you can kill Evil Dog by killing Good Dog, but then I reloaded my save because that's terrible and I didn't want to do it. As far as I could tell, it doesn't open up anything else in the brutalist sections. Evil Dog doesn't drop the missing blue keycard or anything like that.

MOST IMPORTANT:

If you try to use IDBEHOLD (most likely for an automap, but I actually did this because I couldn't see shit in the basement and just wanted to orient myself with a liteamp temporarily), you get a message. It says (paraphrased): "The living room painting holds a clue, if you can find all the artifacts."

My guess is that the artifacts are the objects you pick up throughout the realms (not the item count items). I found: soda can and milkshake (toward the end of the Regular House sections), three separate "memories" (ruined house 1), pumpkin and tuna can (abstract brutalist section; the tuna is hidden in a high vent), empty pill bottle and full pill bottle (restroom in airport). Possibly the T-shirt you pull out of the closet near the end of Regular House also counts, but I think that one's just a "switch" to progress.

The painting in the living room is the four-panel piece with the pink flowers on it. Thing is, by the time you collect any of these artifacts, you no longer have access to that painting. Assuming the soda can is the first one, you get it in a reality of Regular House where you can no longer get back upstairs (I think). The rest of them are in ruined house, brutalist, and airport, where there is no painting there at all. I couldn't figure out anything to do with the walls where the painting should be either (in Ruined House, the wall is ripped open and you just walk through from room to room). By the time you have all the artifacts I found, the only places you could possibly get the clue are airport and ruined house 2, unless there's a secret way to return somewhere else. (Do you have to use noclip? Oh god.)

Edited to add:

Spoiler

Based on what happens with IDCLIP and IDBEHOLD, I tried a few other cheats, and you can get some very interesting messages with these. I tried: IDDQD (different messages for on and off), IDFA, and IDCHOPPERS. If you try IDKFA or IDMUS, it basically just tells you it won't let you do those things. The same might be true of IDFA too, but I'm not sure; given the nature of this map, it's possible that it actually is a clue.

The interesting thing about IDDQD and IDCHOPPERS is that they're the only cheats that actually work, aside from IDCLIP. The others will do nothing except give you messages. IDDT does nothing, and doesn't give you a message either, since that cheat code has no strings to replace.

Now I have to remember if there are any other obscure cheats I forgot.

Definitely will be returning to this at some point. There's got to be more going on.

Edited by Not Jabba

Found some more stuff, including an area not reached in the previous playthrough. I still haven't made it to the "true ending," whatever it is, but I'm now certain there is one and I think I'm getting close.

This post is even more spoilery than the previous one. My suggestion is, don't read my previous post until you've played through once, and don't read this one until you've played through twice and found all you can.

Spoiler

To start with, I'm going to refer to the first-time player's ending -- the one where you ride the airplane back to Ruined House and exit into the empty lot for sale -- as Ending 1. 

Before you go anywhere, note that you can open a crate in the garage right at the start to get a chainsaw. You'll probably want this later.

The blue keycard can be found in the very first reality, the first version of Regular House. All three keys are keycards in this reality. Once you enter the second reality of Regular House, the three keys become skull keys. Therefore, to get all keys, you need to pick up the three keycards *before* you switch realities. The Soulsphere out the window is there to trick you into leaving early; as soon as you leave the house to get it and then come back in, you will switch to the second reality. So, to get the blue keycard, first get the yellow keycard, stay in the house, go downstairs, open the door, get the red keycard, stay in the house, go upstairs, open the attic door panel, and grab the blue keycard (no stairs to the attic in this first reality; it's just there in the closet). Then you can go outside and continue the map.

If you leave the house with the blue keycard, you can open the exit gate and simply exit the map. I'm going to call this Ending 0. Nothing special happens; you just go to Underhalls. Once you circle the house once, or possibly if you go back inside, you switch realities and the gate is now locked with the blue skull instead of the blue keycard, so you can no longer exit the map.

I don't believe it's possible to get the Soulsphere fairly, since it's clearly intended as a red herring to pull you outside. Once you see it through the window in Regular House 1, you can actually clip outside through the window and grab it. Then, when you go back into the house, you'll still be in the Regular House 1, and you'll see yet another Soulsphere outside the window -- it respawns. If you do this multiple times, it continues to respawn, and the item count goes up by one. So I don't think it's possible to get 100% items. That said, cheats seem to be an intended part of the experience of playing this map, so if you go outside and get the Soulsphere this way, I think that's probably "legit," and you can call it an unmarked secret. I didn't keep it, though; I reloaded my save.

While you're still in Regular House 2 (just to be safe, let's say before you enter the new rooms to get any of the "artifacts"), you can open a closet door in the far upstairs bedroom and it will open into a shadowy hallway that goes off into the distance. If you close the door and open it, the hallway will be gone and it's just a closet again. By leaving the room and coming back, I sometimes managed to make the hallway reappear and sometimes didn't. I don't know exactly what triggers it or if you can lose it forever.

Anyway, if you follow the hallway, you end up in a maze of similar hallways. It's all looped by portals, but sometimes you can find a new opening. Eventually, I ended up in some larger rooms, still dark and empty. I followed this maze around as long as I could, and never found anything; I'm not sure if I missed something or if it's just a horror-themed easter egg. At some point, I found a lighter patch of wall; after finding nothing else, I clipped through it and it took me back to the starting door, where I returned to Regular House 2. Maybe you can get farther than I did -- good luck!

In any case, you're now in Regular House 2 and you have all six keys. This is where you start finding the "artifacts." You get the soda can in the room with the fireplace first. This is a new room that appears in this reality after you have the blue skull.

At this point, I noticed a piece of art in the living room I hadn't seen before, opposite the pink painting with the flowers and off to one side. At this point, when I had the soda can, it looked like this:

ggZdXh6m.png

Then, I went into the next new room that appeared, the chic basement living room in black/white/red. Here, I got the milkshake. Now, when I went back upstairs, I saw that the new art piece had changed:

unNX19Am.png

This is confirmation of what I suspected: The art is tracking how many artifacts you have. This means there are eight total that you have to find. Unfortunately, it's not that straightforward. In my first playthrough, I got nine: soda can, milkshake, tarnished history, ruined memories, innocence lost, a pumpkin named "Pumpkin Rick," a tuna can, an empty pill bottle, and a full pill bottle. You have to successfully complete the airport bathroom sequence for the full pill bottle, and I got the tuna can in the vent in the brutalist section. The rest you should be able to find pretty naturally without a lot of hunting around; just make sure to thoroughly search each reality you come to. There's actually a tenth one in the brutalist section that I found in the second playthrough (see below). 

Since we're still here in Regular House 2, let's go over the clues we already have from the cheat codes. They are as follows:

IDBEHOLD*: "The living room painting hides a clue...if you find all the artifacts."

IDDQD (on): "My reflection winked at me. I covered the mirror in the attic just to be safe."

IDDQD (off): "There's no good outcome from a house fire."

IDCHOPPERS: "Leave the entrance to the bathroom unsullied for a big fucking reward."

We're already on the trail of the artifacts, so let's leave that aside for now. Up in the attic where you got the blue key, there's a mirror covered by a cloth. Use it to pull the cloth aside, and you'll see in the mirror that there's a blue Christmas ornament in the mirror where the blue skull was. I don't think you can do anything with this? I wonder if it could be yet another artifact (it would be the eleventh one known to me). But you can't use or break the mirror, or noclip through it. I found no way to pick up the ornament.

In the room where the soda can was, there's a fireplace. The Ruined House seems to have been destroyed by a fire. The IDDQD off clue seems to suggest that you want to prevent the fire to save the house, so I tried putting out the one in the fireplace. However, I found no way to do this in Regular House 2, so I moved on.

Finally, you can go to the new closet near where the front door used to be, and you can press Use to take the shirt. In my first playthrough, where I was disoriented and flustered, I thought this was a "switch" that opened the room with the soda can. However, it's actually a Green Armor!

This is the part where we find the electrical panel in the basement behind the slightly ajar bookshelf, which takes us to Ruined House 1. Maybe that's what caused the house fire? Anyway, the main thing here, as you should already know, is to find the three artifacts upstairs, and then use the basement exit to get to the brutalist realms. The one other interesting thing I found here is that you can clip outside the house and use the exit gate (since you have the blue skull), but this time it doesn't actually exit the map. Instead, it takes you to the dreaded Noclip Place, domain of the Narrow Fellow. This time, it took a while before the Narrow Fellow appeared, and I did quite a bit of exploring, but I still didn't find any kind of way out. (Not this time. See below.) One thing I did find is a strange computer sitting on the floor in one of the many cubicles. It's the only object in the whole place. Using it didn't seem to do anything, though.

So, now we're in the brutalist sections...but we have the blue keycard this time. The locked vent opens a small closet with a plasma rifle and a decent cache of ammo and health (but doesn't seem to offer any deeper answers than that). I also found an additional (tenth) artifact this time. If you look off the ledge at the start of the brutalist area, toward the exit sign, and then look right, you'll see a small ledge below you. Head through the doorway toward the living room, take the first left (before the stairs), and you can drop down onto the ledge from the opening here. Follow this path to a small room with some door panels to open. One of those panels leads to another small room with another panel you can open. Inside is a doghouse with a food bowl and some dog food. The dog food is the artifact.

I still didn't figure out how to get and keep the Megasphere here. Not sure if there is a way or not.

By the end of the brutalist section, you should have eight of the known artifacts, with two more to go in the airport bathroom. I also am mindful of the hint about leaving the bathroom entrance "unsullied." There are many bathrooms in the map, but I kind of assume that the one the hint is referring to is the airport bathroom with the two pill bottles, the bloody mess, and the red Demons. The wording is ambiguous. Do you have to pick up the first pill bottle, but avoid the portal sequence that bloodies the walls and not get the second pill bottle? Or does it just mean that after you clear out the Demons and leave the bathroom, the blood is now gone, the entrance is unsullied, and the "reward" is the second pill bottle? I have no clue. I tried it both ways, and both still led to Ending 1.

At this point, I decided to see what happens if you avoid the airplane. I had all ten known artifacts. I know I'm supposed to find the painting in the living room somehow, now that I have them. So I tried noclipping through the gate for the airplane (which is in the same location as the living room painting), and entered the Noclip Place. I ran around a bunch here again -- the Narrow Fellow is actually fairly easy to avoid due to being so slow. But I found something new! After a sequence of turns I couldn't possibly remember, let alone describe, I found a poster of a kitten with the message "Hang in there, baby!" written on it. I ran around some more and eventually found a metal door marked "exit."

This door leads to an endlessly looping staircase. If you loop around this staircase different numbers of times, you can use the metal door again and get different results. From what I could tell, two do nothing, one leads to the same staircase loop you're already in, one leads to an empty room with a bright cloudy sky for walls, and one leads to a FIREBLU passageway that takes you back to Ruined House 1. Beyond that, it seems to repeat.

The sky room doesn't seem to go anywhere right now. If I take the passage to Ruined House 1, then it's the same as I left it. I couldn't find anything new. I can still go from there to the brutalist section and repeat the whole second half of the map if needed, which would let me find artifacts I missed if there were any.

I think I've done something wrong, still. I feel like if I had all the right artifacts, the sky room should have its own passage back to Regular House, and that would take me to the living room painting. I'm stuck here, and don't know what to do to finish the map. But there's definitely something in this staircase.

I tried getting neither of the pill bottles (so I have eight artifacts total and the bathroom entrance is unsullied) and then entering the Noclip Place. Doing this, I haven't been able to find that metal exit door at all, but I don't know if that's because i'm not holding the artifacts or because I just don't know where to go. I think one of two things is true: either you need to find the staircase with the "right" eight artifacts, or ten is the correct number that unlocks the staircase, but there's something about the staircase I just haven't figured out yet.

Hopefully someone else can find the missing pieces.

Mp41mxHm.png nVbmtn0m.png

Edited by Not Jabba

I played this on Sunday & I've got to say this is fantastic map. At first it seems like a typical My House WAD with a lot of Doom cute details, but it evolves into something so much more amazing. It's one of the most emotional & haunting maps I've ever played. I just had a feeling of melancholy as I progressed through the map interspaced with moments of true terror as the horror elements ramped up. The music here is great, from the slightly edited version of d_runnin that gives off the first hints that something is amiss to the fully ambient track of the brutalist sections of the map. My only gripe is that the progression was a little bit confusing at times, jumping into the bathtub was the biggest roadblock for me. Overall though I got to say that this is a must play wad & it will certainly be in my top 10 list at the end of 2023.

Played through this a few times! fucking fantastic detail and atmosphere. 

Spoiler

Also continuing from where @Not Jabba left off, I found a bit more details but not anything too groundbreaking. In the .pk3, the player height is changed. This is noticeable when you beat the first level and go into Underhalls, everything feels extremely small. Also, Doom Launcher lists this .pk3 as having 33 total maps. I haven't noticed anything changed with Underhalls besides the map feeling small.

Also upon the completion of Underhalls, you go back to MAP01. I haven't had a moment to test, but maybe you could collect all the artifacts in your first run through, and then have them on your second?

26 minutes ago, ZeMystic said:

Hide contents

Also continuing from where @Not Jabba left off, I found a bit more details but not anything too groundbreaking. In the .pk3, the player height is changed. This is noticeable when you beat the first level and go into Underhalls, everything feels extremely small. Also, Doom Launcher lists this .pk3 as having 33 total maps. I haven't noticed anything changed with Underhalls besides the map feeling small.

Also upon the completion of Underhalls, you go back to MAP01. I haven't had a moment to test, but maybe you could collect all the artifacts in your first run through, and then have them on your second?

Spoiler

Oh my god, YES! You've got to be on to something. Here's the text for the IDFA cheat:

"If you find yourself exploring another map, bring back a super shotgun with you."

So yeah, I bet you have to beat Underhalls and come back, then do more stuff.

I've also got a small update to what I posted above:

Spoiler

I figured out how to reliably get to the endless staircase in the Noclip Place. 

First, look for the big wood-trimmed room. If you've been here, you know that most of the cubicles have blank tan walls, but a couple small sections have wood trim on them, right? And you know which one I mean by "the big one." First, go there. It shouldn't be too hard to find, but you can get to it quickly by going forward and left from the starting position.

5F2L79pm.png

Second, find the exit to the big wood-trimmed room where you are facing another wood-trimmed spot. It'll look like this.

BhX4cW0m.png

Go forward to that little wood-trimmed tunnel you see in the distance, go through it, and come out the other side.

I'm going to call the direction you're currently facing "north." Now, you're in the cubicle on the opposite side of the wood-trimmed tunnel, facing north. From here, go west one, north one, west one, north one. You're now in a larger L-shaped cubicle. Pass north through this, north two more rooms, and you come to a blank wall with exits to your west and east. Go either way around, go north, and you'll reach the hall with the exit door.

WdJDDYkm.png

It sounds like a lot, but it's actually a short distance and you get the hang of it pretty quickly.

I think we'll still need to get here at some point if we want to find the true ending. They wouldn't put all this here for nothing. It definitely seems important.

Other things I haven't figured out in this map, for quick reference:

-The blue Christmas ornament in the mirror

-The dark hallway maze behind the bedroom closet

-The Soulsphere and Megasphere

Edited by Not Jabba

33 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

Hide contents

I figured out how to reliably get to the endless staircase in the Noclip Place. 

First, look for the big wood-trimmed room.

Spoiler

Neat, never saw the wood-trimmed room yet.

Just to check, but are you aware that you can reach the endless staircase by walking off the building in the brutalist area?

Just now, Jaws In Space said:
  Hide contents

Just to check, but are you aware that you can reach the endless staircase by walking off the building in the brutalist area?

Spoiler

Does it have to be in a specific place? Every time I tried walking off of the brutalist building into the dark abyss, everything would go pitch black and silent, and I wouldn't be able to go anywhere.

6 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

Hide contents

Does it have to be in a specific place? Every time I tried walking off of the brutalist building into the dark abyss, everything would go pitch black and silent, and I wouldn't be able to go anywhere.

Spoiler

That's strange, it seemed to happen anywhere for me. I think I only tried it after picking up the Pumpkin, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it though.

Spoiler

I found how to get the ornament,

Walk into the mirror on the main floor bathroom with the toilet

image.png.e37e9380b0dff40098c544af7ec9aeff.png

Then just walk to the up to the attic in the mirror world and you should be able to grab it.

There appears to be a lot more stuff in the mirror world too

1 hour ago, Jaws In Space said:
  Hide contents

That's strange, it seemed to happen anywhere for me. I think I only tried it after picking up the Pumpkin, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it though.

I'll be damned. I guess I just never thought to

Spoiler

press Use.

So a couple minor addendums based on this:

Spoiler

1. You can ledge jump to get the Megasphere now, because there's a way back. Get the Megasphere, drop into the abyss, go around the stairs until you find the door back to Ruined House 1, and proceed back to the brutalist section.

2. All doors on the endless staircase are now accounted for:

-level 1: enter here from the brutalist section, but can't return. It doesn't open from the inside.

-level 2: enter here from the Noclip Place, but can't return. It doesn't open from the inside.

-level 3: loops up to the door on level 5.

-level 4: FIREBLU passage to Ruined House 1.

-level 5: loops down to the door on level 3.

-level 6: empty sky room.

It repeats from there.

Edited by Not Jabba

Spoiler

Not really sure how but if you're able to get into the tub to grab the duck artifact, It might have something to do with turning on all the sinks I'm not too sure I just used no clip for now, you can go down it and go into a flooded version of the house. After some searching I found an underground liminal pool area which is fairly expansive and going through it I found an exit that brought me to the sky cloud area that was in the stairwell so I'm pretty sure that's what the purpose of that area is

image.png.94ed9f8720ecd5b7d4c9fb767b07e63b.png

Edit:

I'll just edit this post instead of making new one but

Spoiler

I found that both the mirror world and the normal world need different artifacts

Normal World:

image.png.fab0a7d2afc560d808fb986a43c648ed.png

Mirror World:

image.png.4be70ca04cd8ca2ff1de6e707e8237a6.png

Edited by Speedy Eggbert

2 hours ago, Speedy Eggbert said:

Hide contents

I found how to get the ornament,

Walk into the mirror on the main floor bathroom with the toilet

image.png.e37e9380b0dff40098c544af7ec9aeff.png

Then just walk to the up to the attic in the mirror world and you should be able to grab it.

There appears to be a lot more stuff in the mirror world too

Spoiler

You weren't kidding about more stuff. If you go through the exit in the mirror world you go to a mirrored version of Underhalls. I played through but haven't yet found anything important. Exiting this takes you back to the mirror world. I replayed through the house again starting from the mirror world and grabbed the christmas ornament and the baby bottle from the attic. I then found a bunch of balls leading down to a closet. Opening this closet takes you to a slide in some playhouse version of the house. I progressed through and a door spawned behind me which leads to an outdoor area with another artifact called snugs and shrek (yes, actually.) attacking you. Trying to open the door back says you need a key, despite me having all three skull keys. Don't know where this key is but I'll update in a new edit when I do.

EDIT: Also I think some of the music is edited to have discord notifications in them.

DOUBLE EDIT: Shrek drops the key.

11 minutes ago, ZeMystic said:
  Reveal hidden contents

You weren't kidding about more stuff. If you go through the exit in the mirror world you go to a mirrored version of Underhalls. I played through but haven't yet found anything important. Exiting this takes you back to the mirror world. I replayed through the house again starting from the mirror world and grabbed the christmas ornament and the baby bottle from the attic. I then found a bunch of balls leading down to a closet. Opening this closet takes you to a slide in some playhouse version of the house. I progressed through and a door spawned behind me which leads to an outdoor area with another artifact called snugs and shrek (yes, actually.) attacking you. Trying to open the door back says you need a key, despite me having all three skull keys. Don't know where this key is but I'll update in a new edit when I do.

EDIT: Also I think some of the music is edited to have discord notifications in them.

DOUBLE EDIT: Also the shrek doesn't take any damage as far as I'm aware.

Spoiler

Thought I was loosing it with the discord notifications nice to know it wasnt me lmao.

Also shrek can die, he drops the key out of the yard.

Edit: I should also note I found a backrooms area in the mirrored underhalls although as far as I know there is no way out of it, there was a computer in there but I couldn't do anything with it

Edited by Speedy Eggbert

Again, absolutely fantastic detail and atmosphere. I can't keep not saying that.

Spoiler

Alright yall, holy shit. Kill shrek. Get the key. Use every sink in the level. Grab the ducky. Ducky doesn't count as an artifact for the house????? Swim down the bathtub. Swim up the bathtub. Enter water house and go to some room in the basement. Enter some room and leave and then i'm in some bathroom backrooms type shit. Will keep ya'll updated.

4 minutes ago, ZeMystic said:

Hide contents

Use every sink in the level. Grab the ducky. Ducky doesn't count as an artifact for the house?????

Spoiler

Based on Speedy Eggbert's images, it looks like Ducky is a required artifact for the Mirror World, not the Regular House. As far as I can see from those images, it looks like there are 16 artifacts total? Or have y'all already found more than that?

When you say every sink in the level, is that every sink in Regular House 2 (the reality with the skull keys)? Or every sink in both versions of Regular House (keycards and skull keys)? Or every sink in both versions of Regular house plus other worlds?

Just now, Not Jabba said:

Hide contents

Based on Speedy Eggbert's images, it looks like Ducky is a required artifact for the Mirror World, not the Regular House. As far as I can see from those images, it looks like there are 16 artifacts total? Or have y'all already found more than that?

When you say every sink in the level, is that every sink in Regular House 2 (the reality with the skull keys)? Or every sink in both versions of Regular House? Or every sink in both versions of Regular house plus other worlds?

Spoiler

Every sink in regular house 2. I'm unsure if there's anything in regular house 1.

Spoiler

I was able to get up to 9 artifacts, I'm still missing 3 for the normal house and 4 for the mirror, I'm at a bit of a loss at what's left to explore in the house, or if there's a way to go back to the regular house 2 after you collect the stuff in the later areas

Edit: I did check to see if artifacts carry over and it's a no unfortunately

Another edit: Got hit with a post limit for being a new account so I'll just update here for time being but the exit from the bath to the endless staircase is a one way drop so it appears it can't be used to back track

Update:

Spoiler

Using the shortcut to the brutalist world to regular house 2 I was able collect the pumpkin, cat food, dog bowl, and with using no clip to go from the airport back to the brutalist section, I got the pills, not sure how you're supposed to get back normally from the airport tho. Also the shortcut from the regular house 2 to the brutalist house can only be done once.

Regular:

image.png.208486d7502285b88e2d6455d7829ba1.png

Mirror:

image.png.fea6539a27690d525a79e5c449898980.png

They pills count as an artifact is seems, it's missing three though and if I had to guess it's the three from the buring house however I have no idea how you return to the regular house so thats still up in the air

Edited by Speedy Eggbert