Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueBeast

Dehacked, Extra Thing listings?

While doing many screen captures of the THINGS listings in Dehacked, i noticed that theres many listings such as "Hanging Torso" and "Hanging torso 2"...

But the sprites are the same... what gives? This is the case with perhaps a dozen different 'things' and i want to make sure when I print up my quick reference pages that i have the correct sprite with the correct thing, but i don't want to bother with any repetitive things.

Why the double listings with different thing numbers?

I believe one entry is for a hanging body that you can pass through and one that is unpassable. Because original doom didn't have height variables, they had to make it passable or not.

It would be silly being stopped in the middle of a blank room because a hanging body on the ceiling was there... and I'm sure you might have experienced this in Wad's before.

Of course, most ports have Z-Checking so this becomes obsolete. Helpful when adding new things though, because there's a bunch of slots you can use.

I use Vanilla doom so ports don't help me much unfortunately...

I can see some of the things are indeed traded off for being an obstacle or not, one exception i noticed is "blood and Guts"
1 and 2
(thing #'s 119 & 120) they have the exact same settings and start frame # and name. What's the point, and more importantly, How do you know which thing you're placing in a level if it's an obstaclre or not?

BlueBeast said:

I can see some of the things are indeed traded off for being an obstacle or not, one exception i noticed is "blood and Guts"
1 and 2
(thing #'s 119 & 120) they have the exact same settings and start frame # and name. What's the point, and more importantly, How do you know which thing you're placing in a level if it's an obstaclre or not?

That one puzzles me too - they're both identical (except for the thing id #), yet you can't actually use them (in WA, at least). However, one of them is spawnable in ZDoom (as T_GUTS) and appears to be the body of a player that's been gibbed.

BlueBeast said:

1 and 2

Those two are exactly the same. Both are non-solid. I guess that ID planned to do 2 different things here and changed their mind.

maybe one of the blood and guts was made for shareware doom versions and the other was for regestered wads... only a guess...
and why don't you use SPs? there are a lot of better options than vanilla doom.exe

I don't use any of the source ports for several resons... Mostly cuz i'm scared (lol) after buying, playing and modifying DOOM levels with WADED i figured that the doom community had dwindled, and there were many years went by until I found DOOMWORLD (God bless this site!)Those were the years i was getting good at computer hardware knowledge etc etc instead of making levels, see i had no idea anymore who'd play them so whats the point of making 'em?

So really im just behind the times, I'm working on a project right now with Waded, Dehacked, Wintex, hence my many, and sometimes strange questions, but theyre for reasons i won't reveal so far.
I'd like to complete that before I move on so I'm really familiar with the Doom internals before going to a SP where all the really neat stuff happens. Besides I'm the kind of person who just lives to 'work with what I got' it keeps the creativity level up.

With all the questions Ive seen here about the SP features, It's, like Way over my head. I'll get there... i just hope you're all still here to help!

And thanks for all of it from everyone!

[QUOTE]BlueBeast said:
[B]I don't use any of the source ports for several resons... Mostly cuz i'm scared (lol) after buying, playing and modifying DOOM levels with WADED i figured that the doom community had dwindled,

WtUtterF?

crap reasons. :P