Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

rescue disks??

my main system has gotten a rather nasty virus and i want to use a bootable rescue disk. so i go to the computer downstairs that has norton. however it says to make a bootable rescue disk it needs 10 floppies. first off i dont have 10 floppies and second i never installed a floppy drive on my main system. where is the option for a bootable CD?? i mean WTF, 10 floppies is a bit lame and most computers built after 1997 boot from a cd.

so i am asking can i make a rescue disk that is bootable and will scan for viruses? if not what virus scan will let me do this, or is there a way to creat and image for one.

thanks for the help

it's blog blog
it's big, it heavy it's wood.
it's blog blog
it's better then bad, it's good!

can j00 spot teh hidden message?

Ct_red_pants said:

it's blog blog
it's blog blog

I love that show. :)

Ct_red_pants said:

it's blog blog
it's blog blog

Uh, he simply asked a question if he could boot from a CD, he didn't say it was it was his friend's comp that had the got the virus.

i really need to do this. the virus prevent boot and i need to make a bootable CD, nothing remotely requiring a floppy as i dont have one installed. please i need to get this virus off my system tonight. i have searched and found nothing useful, i have tried several tricks that did not work. I am not going to slave the drive and risk another infection either and i have gone as far as to remove the computer from the network

Er, why not just stick a floppy drive in there? You can then pick up 10 floppies at any store for next to nothing.

ahh cause i dont have space for a floppy for 1. 2 i dont have anyfloppy drives. 3 i am not going to get a floppy from around here(they ask way too much) 4 i should be able to use a boot cd because that technology has only been around the last 5 years

DooMBoy said:

Uh, he simply asked a question if he could boot from a CD, he didn't say it was it was his friend's comp that had the got the virus.

Though... one instinctively thinks "BLOG!" when there's a new thread started by Sephiroth :P

Um, nothing I've ever come across, but I'm hardly a professional. Next to using a powerful drive diagnostic such as XP's DiskProbe, you're somewhat in a bind. (Although using something of that nature would be impossible due to not being able to boot to OS.)

Other than installing a floppy temporarily and going the recovery route, (this is the reason that USB "keychain" drives havn't taken completly over,) is to boot to BIOS, reformat, and reinstall your OS. Sad, but true.

what kind of virus is it? what does it do? do a simple scan at trend micro ( its an online free virus scan ) and just write down the name of the virus file, and go on the net and look for ways to get rid of it.

its works 99% of the time.

Fredrik said:

Though... one instinctively thinks "BLOG!" when there's a new thread started by Sephiroth :P

Well, in some instances, yes, that is true, but not this time :)