Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Genocide

editing tools

Not necessarily. Depends on what kind of editing you prefer. DeePsea doesn't specialize in its prefab tools - it's more of a linedef-based editor. For simplicity I recommend WadAuthor... one of the best $20 I ever spent (and no shareware level size limit).

These battles about the best editors are never over and appear real regularly on these forums.

Most of the guys seem to like either Wad Author or Deepsea. I use Deepsea and love it. around 35 bucks to buy it. Worth every penny. Upgrades if/when you want them are around 20 bucks after the first year. I rarely upgrade. Great tool even without the upgrades.

Once you actually learn how to map you will never use prefabs, it is so much faster to just draw them.

WadAuthor is the must to buy. A lot of fun is guaranteed.

hooray for editors that cost more than the game!

Cyb said:

hooray for editors that cost more than the game!

So? They do give more fun than the game alone would :P

Shaviro said:

Wadauthor. It's simle and easy to learn.

... and overall a crappy piece of software because it is lacking crucial features for level editing (at least for me). If anyone actually wants to PAY for an editor (I wouldn't), DeepSea is certainly the best choice. It has far more features than WadAuthor. Although learning to use it from scratch might be harder I think in the long run it will pay off. My recommendation is to check out the shareware versions of both WadAuthor and DeepSea and thoroughly test both. You might also check out one of the free editors. Although most of them are rather old they might not be such a bad choice.

Shaviro said:

Wadauthor. It's simle and easy to learn.

Damn right, Wad Author forever!.

Here's an idea, buy both DeePSea AND WadAuthor and get the best of both worlds. Or you could bug Cyb and Ralphis...er....perhaps I've said too much :-P

Graf Zahl said:

... and overall a crappy piece of software because it is lacking crucial features for level editing (at least for me). If anyone actually wants to PAY for an editor (I wouldn't), DeepSea is certainly the best choice. It has far more features than WadAuthor.

But those extra features are usable without registering, now, aren't they? You can use the full version of WA and the shareware DeePsea and still do all that.

Well i really am looking for an editor that can really make bloody WADs and very complicated maps. is there an editor that can let me increase the amount of gore when i shoot something, make walls come down to reveal a army of monsters in a trap after grabbing a key, change the scream when something dies or discovers me in the game or anything close? if so, then that is the editor i would choose.

Genocide said:

Well i really am looking for an editor that can really make bloody WADs and very complicated maps. is there an editor that can let me increase the amount of gore when i shoot something, make walls come down to reveal a army of monsters in a trap after grabbing a key, change the scream when something dies or discovers me in the game or anything close? if so, then that is the editor i would choose.

Deepsea. Just hit 'F7' and click the "Increase amount of gore when shooting something, make walls come down that reveal an army of monsters in a trap after grabbing a key and change the scream when something dies or discovers the player" button.

/me hits the F7 button in Deepsea and watches as the world goes into a thousand year long reign of world peace

Amazing! Someone who's actually willing to pay for an editor.

Both WadAuthor and DeepSea are available on a shareware basis. As people have pointed out, DeepSea is a one-stop shop for your DooM editing needs. WadAuthor is very good if you're looking for just a map editor. However, do as Graf Zahl says, and test both programs out on a shareware basis, then choose the one that you like best.

AFAIK, changing the amount of gore is not a fundamental feature of any editor. Some source ports support that, and you can also do that (with some work) using a program named DeHacked.

Making walls come down to reveal an army of monsters in a trap after grabbing a key can be achieved by any editor worth its salt.

Changing the scream when something dies or discovers you in the game or anything close can also be achieved (with some work) using DeHacked.