Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
netnomad312

MAPINFO lump

I've been asking a couple questions on how to get this to work in one of the news threads, but I figure I shouldn't clog that one anymore... so here's this thread.

I recently learned how to use the MAPINFO lump for ZDoom. I currently have two problems with it:

1. Whenever I put it into my wad using Wintex (5.0), I frequently open it again later to find a second copy of MAPINFO, which is basically a dud of my last saved version of the lump. When it doesn't do that, it corrupts my DEMO1 lump instead, turning it into the dud copy of MAPINFO. When I try to delete the dud lump, it always deletes the good one instead. So every time I open Wintex, I'm forced to delete and re-upload all my data lumps. My question: WHY in bloddy hell does it do this??

2. When I try to run my wad using this lump, it tells me I have a syntax problem. I checked out where it said to check out, and there was absolutely no problem. The error, according to ZDoom, is on a line where the only thing I have written is "entertext." Here's the bit of code with the problem:

clusterlump 5
entertext <---This is where I apparantly have bad syntax?
"...message..."
flat FLAT5_5

There's no difference at all between this clusterdef and my other ones. They're all in order and everything. Can someone tell me what else could cause this error?

1: This is because WinTex is stupid. There are many WAD editors around that don't have that problem.

hehehe. There's nothing like trying to learn something new when it comes to DooM editing. You'll try your hardest, do everything *exactly* as all the tutorials say and it still won't fucking work. I started messing around with MAPINFO and DECORATE lumps and nothing seemed to bloody work at first...

I haven't really used entertext, but I thought I read something about this somewhere saying you can't have an entertext at the start because of something to do with entering and exiting clusterdefs or something. Though I have a feeling I might be way off with this.

And yeah, WIntex is probably just being an arse. Whenever I use it for MAPINFO stuff I always delete my old one and re-insert it again . The F7 command in DeepSea is actually quite easy to use for this (and it works in the shareware).

Edit: Checking at zdoom.notgood.com this is what it says about entertext

'<message> is a message to be displayed when the player has just finished a level in another cluster and is entering a level in this cluster. '

So yeah, sounds like it can't be used at the very start of a game.

netnomad312 said:

clusterlump 5
entertext <---This is where I apparantly have bad syntax?
"...message..."
flat FLAT5_5

netnomad312 said:

There's no difference at all between this clusterdef...

You refer to a clusterdef in the second quote above, but the bit you copied and pasted (I assume) from your MAPINFO says clusterlump. The correct syntax is clusterdef, not clusterlump. Does that solve problem 2?

Damnit. I'd really rather not get a third editing program for this (I use WA for map designing and Wintex for lump management). Is there really no way to get it to stop?

Clusterdef 5 isn't the first one - that's just where it said that it had the problem. In fact, it used to work fine... but now it doesn't. I haven't changed it one bit. But yeah, you can't use a start-of-game text screen... already tried it in cluster 1...

netnomad312 said:

I recently learned how to use the MAPINFO lump for ZDoom. I currently have two problems with it:

1. Whenever I put it into my wad using Wintex (5.0), I frequently open it again later to find a second copy of MAPINFO, which is basically a dud of my last saved version of the lump. When it doesn't do that, it corrupts my DEMO1 lump instead, turning it into the dud copy of MAPINFO. When I try to delete the dud lump, it always deletes the good one instead. So every time I open Wintex, I'm forced to delete and re-upload all my data lumps. My question: WHY in bloddy hell does it do this??

1. You're still in DooM 2 mode - switch to Hexen mode and it won't do that. (all text lumps are recognised in Hexen mode only)

It does this when you add/update a data lump it doesn't recognise (dehacked, decorate etc.). If you need to insert a lump like that, then all you have to do is save the wad, open it again (when it will show the duplicates) delete the lower entry and save the wad again.

(anyone else think Wintex should be updated with ZDoom lump support?)

Ultimate DooMer said:

1. You're still in DooM 2 mode - switch to Hexen mode and it won't do that. (all text lumps are recognised in Hexen mode only)

I don't have Hexen, so I can't go to Hexen mode. Unless... well, my Heretic CD has a Hexen demo. Should I install it and then use the hexen wad to enter this mode?

Ultimate DooMer said:

It does this when you add/update a data lump it doesn't recognise (dehacked, decorate etc.). If you need to insert a lump like that, then all you have to do is save the wad, open it again (when it will show the duplicates) delete the lower entry and save the wad again.

That's exactly what I've been doing... except then it corrupts my DEMO1 entry. So I have to delete and re-add it as well.

Ultimate DooMer said:

(anyone else think Wintex should be updated with ZDoom lump support?)

Well, Icertainly do!

netnomad312 said:

I don't have Hexen, so I can't go to Hexen mode. Unless... well, my Heretic CD has a Hexen demo. Should I install it and then use the hexen wad to enter this mode?

You can try it, but I don't know if it'll work.

It doesn't corrupt any entries, it just appears like that. Once you've deleted the bottom duplicate entry (this is the old version of the entry, the top one is the new version) the other lumps will display fine the next time you open the wad.

Hmm... okay. Now if only I can figure out why I have freakin' bad syntax on a line that only says "entertext..." (Flange Peddler: entertext and exittext appear to be the same thing, but it seems to just suit my wad better if I used entertext...)

So was Enjay right or wrong? cuz that looked like the right answer.

Oh, didn't even see that post. Uh... no, see, I didn't copy that from the file, as I don't have the file on this machine. I tried to recreate it from memory and accidently typed "lump" instead of "def." So that's not it...