Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timmie

ZDoomGL 0.74 is out...

...and this time I remembered to upload the source package, too :)

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=63545

Anyway, it's not perfect, but it's available. I'll probably do a little maintenance release fairly soon.

Things that work:

- mirrors and skyboxes! Yay!
- flat animation blending!
- any other features I pointed out in the last while (did the monster sized flats work in 0.73??).

Things that don't:

- mid-texture alignments on sloped walls are still sucky sucky. Hence the maintenance release in the future, but I figured it wasn't worth holding things up anymore.

Anyway, have fun and any bugs that pop up and get fixed will show up in the forthcoming update. Once I get the texture alignment stuff done I'm on to 0.8 (md2 models and shader scripting language), though!

Notes:

Multiple skyboxes work if you have the stencil buffer enabled. This can only be enabled with 32 bit color (gl_vid_bitdepth 32 & gl_vid_stencilbits 8). It's not perfect, but multiple skyboxes can be on screen at the same time. Don't try this on a Voodoo3 unless you like falling back to software OpenGL :)

The number of mirror recursions can be configured with the gl_mirror_recursions cvar. It defaults to 4, which is the same as the software renderer. Best to leave it at that, but if you have a room with lots of mirrors in it, it's fun to crank it up (I wouldn't go any higher than 10, though).

Environment mapping on mirrors is controlled with the gl_mirror_envmap cvar. Not much more to say about that, except it looks cool :)

You can turn the animation blending on or off with the gl_blend_animations cvar (on by default). It's also available in the menu.

Remember, feel free to post any questions or comments here!

Heh, main site finally updated ;)

EDIT: Also, timmie, what do you think we should do about the ZDoomGL site? It seems a bit silly to have it in 'Kokak's Doom Page' if it isn't even made by Kokak any more :P.

The intermission screens are mostly fixed (except for the level name and the finished text), but if you press escape to bring up the menu in it, the entire background turns a bright yellow.

Anyway, good work! :)

Is it any faster for you guys (beta testers)? I found a retarded bug with the frustum culling that was causing it to process way more subsectors than it should have been... P:AR is actually fairly playable now (well, on my machine anyway) :)

Yes, it's faster. It runs 4-5 fps faster in the more detailed parts of CCT2 than the old version.

The new versions great, it's much faster (and brighter) than the software version. However a bug (at least on my computer) I've come across is as follows; It seems to not draw anything up to about 128 units in front of the player, so all I see is sky up untill that point. It's quite werid looking. I would post an image, but I don't know how.

Hmm, try futzing with the gl_clip_nearclip cvar (distance to the near clipping plane). It defaults to 0.1, so try setting it to 0.05 or something?

Don't set it to 0 though or you lose the z buffer (and things start looking very odd indeed).

:D !!Verry verry nice done!! :D
it looks better then 0.73 if you just play the ordinary levels of Doom 2.
Though in level 3,
if you go down to the 'catacombs' with the wet floor, you can see a bug,
the guards behind (normaly) some bars are unable to be seen through the 'bars'.
The texture representing the bars isn't in the correct place annymore.
though you mentioned something about it, i was thinking it might be better to tell it :).
I'm still available if you're looking 4 some betatesters :P

Since Iv'e upgraded to XP, ZdoomGL no longer runs in full-screen mode :\ Ah well, and 800x600 window works fine for me.

Hmmm, it's about near perfect, except for one teensy problem: for some reason, when I load the game (any Doom) instead of the normal floor and ceiling, there's the sky. It's quite disconcerting. Is this a bug, or is there a way around it?

Hmm, try futzing with the gl_clip_nearclip cvar (distance to the near clipping plane). It defaults to 0.1, so try setting it to 0.05 or something?

Don't set it to 0 though or you lose the z buffer (and things start looking very odd indeed).

Did you try that? If that doesn't fix it, could you post a screenshot?

Great job with the new release Timmie. Its really great. The skyboxes look really nice and so do the mirrors. You're really doing som great things with ZDoomGl. Keep up the good work. :D

Seems good, fast and stable so far on the geforce 4. Looking better and performing better than previous versions. Haven't tried the Voodoo3 yet. Anything I have noticed glitch wise has been things you already know about except for maybe...

A very minor thing I noticed. If you press the "-" key to reduce the screen area you can go from full screen (no hud) to minimal hud (just numbers and item icons) to status bar. After that, continuing to press "-" still makes the noise to indicate that the screen area is getting smaller, but it doesn't. When you start hitting the "+" button to make the screen bigger again, you have to cancel out all the invisible "-" presses before pressing "+" removes the status bar. I'm not saying you should make it so that you can make the screen smaller than the full screen plus status bar mode, just that ZdoomGL should "know" when that minimum has been reached and ignore any "-" keypresses that try and take it below that size.

See, told you it was a minor thing. :-)

Quite nice looking. Thanks for the sprite-billboarding stuff, I like my sprites to look like more than paper. :P

That tilted-textures-on-slopes bug could be a nice editing feature once you figure out why it's doing that.

3057demo.wad is unplayable though because of that font issue. The objectives text is always up, so I get an average of 2 FPS, and up to 5... I'm about to try some other wads.

Tried the gl_clip thing Tim, it worked. Hooray! :)
Oh, and that animation blending thing is awesome, looks really sweet.

DooMBoy said:

Tried the gl_clip thing Tim, it worked. Hooray! :)
Oh, and that animation blending thing is awesome, looks really sweet.

Cool, and I added the blending to the walls for the next minor update last night, too :) Actually, I guess I'll be fixing enough bugs that it'll be 0.75 now. But there won't be as many changes as in the last few updates.

Fixed last night:

- gl_clip_nearclip isn't really needed anymore (although make sure you set gl_clip_farclip to something greater than 8000), so I'll probably just get rid of those cvars.
- animation blending on walls and reworked blending a bit to make it look nicer (fade destination frame in rather than current frame out).
- found out I was drawing the ceiling one extra time for blended animations. Oops :)
- flat scrolling/scaling/rotation finally perfect.
- minor speed improvements.

Tonight I'll start looking at those alignments, so hopefully we'll be seeing another release in the near future.

Another thing: it might just be me, but the console is waaaaay too slow coming down, and typing in the console is quite slow. Also adjusting the brightness and whatnot takes forever, since it is so slooooooow :(

DooMBoy said:

Another thing: it might just be me, but the console is waaaaay too slow coming down, and typing in the console is quite slow. Also adjusting the brightness and whatnot takes forever, since it is so slooooooow :(

Adjusting the brightness takes awhile because it has to purge and reload all the textures to use the new settings...

fade destination frame in rather than current frame out

Crossfade would be even nicer?

Well, that's what it's supposed to emulate... It's just some of the animations happen so fast it's hard to make the crossfade out.

Im having what seems like the same problem as DooMBoy

Heres the specs:
P4 1.5Ghz
Onboard Sound
Geforce 4 Ti 4200 (64mb)

Heres some screens of the problem

I tried the gl_clip but it didnt help.

Hmm, it should work. "gl_clip_nearclip 0.05" doesn't work?

Well, people should be happy to know that those cvars are toast in the next version :) I've actually fixed a bunch of stupid little things so far:

- gl_clip_* variables removed since the geometry isn't being scaled anymore, so things can be drawn much closer to the camera
- scaled sprites sit at the correct spot with gl_sprite_clip_to_floor set to 0
- flat rotation/scaling/scrolling same as software renderer (virtually pixel perfect, too)
- animation blending applied to walls
- minor optimizations (runs about as fast as JDoom [without smooth camera enabled] at comparable settings now)
- vsync control working properly (gl_vid_vsync cvar). I definitely recommend setting this to 0 (no sync)...
- fixed some brightness issues (I was setting floors/ceilings/sprites to 95% of their real brightness for some reason)
- some sky fixes/optimizations

Definitely enough to be called 0.75 now, I think. I think I'm just going to fix the mid-texture alignments now and call the 0.7x series done so I can move on to 0.8 (md2 models/shader scripts).

w007! So you gonna release another before you incorporate MD2's and dynamic lighting, or are you going to make us wait to have a properly-functioning version without?