Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
revenant_fister

PSX Doom Sound Effects

Anyone know of a wad that replaces the PC Doom sounds with the PSX ones? And if this exists, do the sounds come out in the quality of the PSX or the quality of the old PC samples? I mean, the PSX ones were stored in a higher quality format (I don't know much about audio formats, but its something like 16-bit instead of 8-bit, or some shit, I know they're better), so maybe they're simply too good quality for Doom to use? And if they are, would ZDoom be able to handle them?

So yeah, anyway, alternately, anyone know where I could find the samples from the PSX version? I prefer most of them, except the Plasma Rifle one, of course...

I seem to remember downloading a wad which changed just the weapons a while back, so if anyone knows of that too, that'd be cool.

Holy Shit!

Those sound effects are fucking outstanding! Did your friend get the actual samples used in the PSX version or what?

Anyone know how I can use them with other maps besides the ones in that map? I've used that NWT thing before, but don't I need to change some textures aswell as taking the maps out of the sc.wad? When I tried running my Plutonia.wad alongside sc.wad, I couldn't the later Plutonia maps to work, due to needing some textures or something.

Just take the sound files out of the southern cross wad and put them in a wad on thier own, then run that wad with anything you like, and it should work fine

How did you rip them from the Playstation original?

And is there any chance you could put the uncompressed wad file up there? There are a shitload of viruses and crap floating around these days.

I ripped them using a program called psound. I made sure to leave them at the same sample rate they were on the disc, so they will sound exactly the same.

As for your other worries, I can only assure you it is clean file. Many people have downloaded it and nobody complained of any problems. I'm not going to hassle with uploading it uncompressed anyway.

Fuck it, I downloaded it anyway.

Brand, Dude, that shit owns. The moment I got the main menu up and I heard the first sample I thought "Yeeeah, this is the real thing.". Awesome job. There are only a coupla points tho..

1. How come the heavy weapon dude's gun sounds different? I'm guessing it's the PSX sound, but it sounds different [than it did on the PSX].
2. If the sounds were recorded at a higher rate for the PSX, doesn't the PC version of Doom need some kind of modification to run them properly?
3. I think a couple of sounds actually sound better on the PC version- the heavy weapon dude, the plasma gun and maybe a coupla others. Any chance of like, an "ultimate" sounds package, that just has the best samples taken from anywhere- not just the PSX or PC versions but anything you can find?

But yeah, you know, Dude, you are the man for making that shit. Nice one!

In PC doom the chaingunner uses the shotgun sound, for some reason, whereas in the PSX doom he uses the chaingun (pistol played over and over) sound, you could modify this in dehacked or ddf if you wanted...

I checked psxsultra.wad in wintex and it reported the following:

-----------
3108612 bytes wasted at 0x2f8ed0
16248 bytes wasted at 0x359c40
1476 bytes wasted at 0x3ec0b0

Total wasted space=3126336 bytes.
-----------

Naturally, I did a clean up and the file went down to just under 1MB in size. Just thought it was interesting.

If it went down to under a meg in size, then wintex is compressing the sample rate I would assume. I can't see how there's any wasted bytes, nor can I see how it could cut the file down to a meg with all those wave sounds.

Edit:

I checked it myself and I'll be damned but there was wasted bytes! I totally missed this. I will upload the new cleaned file in place of the other one, which now is a 700k zip file.

That's memory not doing anything important, but being taken up as if it were. Say, did you want me to change the chaingun sound to match the shotgun like it does on the PC version? I may look into doing that.

No, actually dude, I didn't realise the heavy weapon dude firing sound effect in your wad wasn't the same as it is in the PSX (what with the PC one using the shotgun and the PSX using the pistol). Could you try getting it to work the same way as the PSX one, so that it repeats the pistol shot like you said?

Anyway, if you can't, I think the original PC sound effect (ie the shotgun repeating) does sound better than the heavy weapon dude firing sound effect in your wad (not your fault obviously). So, if that's the best that can be done, do it!

Oh and change the plasma gun back, man! Keep up the awesome work!

A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away), I read somewhere that the chaingunner not using the pistol sound was to disguise the fact that his rate of fire is not the same as the player's chaingun.

To make the chaingun use the pistol sound, you can change the firing code pointers in the chaingunner attack to be the same as the zombie pistol guy ones. This is done using dehacked.

With Zdoom, you can use a sndinfo lump to allocate the pistol sound to the chaingunner attack.

Additional information: The SS Guy uses the same attack code pointer as the chaingun guy. The spiderdemon uses the same attack code pointer as the shotgun guy.