Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Immorpher

Free64Doom

Mmm, bilinear filtering!

That's nice, a port of FreeDoom to the N64! Looks like it still needs some optimization though, especially the software renderer (should be a hybrid or hardware-based).

Now where's the actual FreeDoom 64?

Is this based on a buggy build of 64Doom or something? It performs way worse than what I've usually seen of it, and there's no music.

1 hour ago, Ludi said:

Mmm, bilinear filtering!

This is software rendered (the hardware renderer is unfinished and does not render textures on walls) so no.

So a new game comes to n64? Nice!

So when is REKKR (Already runs on DOS) coming to N64? :P Or any PWAD support? Love to see some oldskool MegaWAD's running on there!

@ImmorpherDoes eightbit have a page listing this?

1 hour ago, ValveMercenary said:

There isn't a replacement-equivalent set of assets for Doom 64.

64Doom doesn't have DEHACKED support but I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to implement. It's supposed to only run the Doom trilogy.

20 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

So a new game comes to n64? Nice!

So when is REKKR (Already runs on DOS) coming to N64? :P Or any PWAD support? Love to see some oldskool MegaWAD's running on there!

@ImmorpherDoes eightbit have a page listing this?

So eightbit used the 64Doom tools (by JNMartin) to build this yesterday, it doesnt really have any official page. I hear it crashes on map 5 because that map breaks vanilla limits. So if you got any vanilla-limit obeying MegaWADs send them to me and I will try to get them running!

2 hours ago, Individualised said:

This is software rendered (the hardware renderer is unfinished and does not render textures on walls) so no.

This is based on the public release of 64Doom, which I believe is an older version. There are newer versions of 64Doom out there, but I dont think they have the tools yet to build custom WADs into it on the public's end.

2 hours ago, ValveMercenary said:

That's nice, a port of FreeDoom to the N64! Looks like it still needs some optimization though, especially the software renderer (should be a hybrid or hardware-based).

As @Individualised mentioned there is an unfinished hardware renderer for it. Today N64Brew discord said they will offer some advice in getting the hardware rendering to work on the newest "unstable" libdragon. So there might be a future in this!

2 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

So if you got any vanilla-limit obeying MegaWADs send them to me and I will try to get them running!

The ultimate irony would be to try out Doom 64 for Doom 2 on 64Doom (It does use DEHACKED for custom monsters and other things but I think at least the first map should be fine)

1 minute ago, Immorpher said:

So eightbit used the 64Doom tools (by JNMartin) to build this yesterday, it doesnt really have any official page. I hear it crashes on map 5 because that map breaks vanilla limits. So if you got any vanilla-limit obeying MegaWADs send them to me and I will try to get them running!

As always Demonfear. Lets start easy.  Maybe Reverie?

Bazooka Face converted a lot of WADS to GBA Doom which seem to work. Although that's PrBoom based, perhaps they work there.

This is great! I love seeing the Classic Doom engine run so well on true N64 hardware, I've been hoping to see other TCs ported over to it as well.

Not gonna lie - I expected this to be the start of a "Freedoom but for Doom64" project wherein we get to replacing all those assets. It would be a MASSIVE undertaking but I really do love the idea of that!

1 hour ago, Individualised said:

The ultimate irony would be to try out Doom 64 for Doom 2 on 64Doom (It does use DEHACKED for custom monsters and other things but I think at least the first map should be fine)

God I'd love this. Playing Doom64 for Doom2 with the Doom64 sprites & sounds for Doom2 layered overtop in DosBox was already a trip in its own right. This would be next level pointless-but-amazing shit, lol!

On 5/10/2023 at 4:21 PM, Doomkid said:

Not gonna lie - I expected this to be the start of a "Freedoom but for Doom64" project wherein we get to replacing all those assets. It would be a MASSIVE undertaking but I really do love the idea of that!

I also expected the same, I even talked about it on the other topic in the forum, i would love to see a 64-ified serpentipede in action showing the most terrifying angered face you've ever seen in your entire life.

Immorpher and other members got some ideas for that on the spoiler below.

Spoiler

Edited by ValveMercenary : It's IMmorpher not INmorpher... Stupid Marine...

25 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Playing Doom64 for Doom2 with the Doom64 sprites & sounds for Doom2 layered overtop in DosBox was already a trip in its own right.

Is this a thing??? I was gonna make a .WAD for Doom 64 for Doom 2 that replaces all of the assets with Doom 64 ones to try and make it as close to Doom 64 as can be possible in vanilla but if it already exists that's great. Then we could use it to port Doom 64 to GBA :D

1 hour ago, Artman2004 said:

Are those new sound effects exclusive to Free64Doom?

As far as I know they were in the Freedoom phase 1 WAD. Nothing special was done to change the sounds. :)

Getting Doom 64 for Doom 2 on 64Doom would be a hoot! There's some Doom 64 sprite replacements for vanilla Doom I think. Then Craneo has texture replacements too haha.

9 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

Nice, I came across this at some point in time,  good to see it here

Someone has done this already?

5 hours ago, Individualised said:

64Doom doesn't have DEHACKED support but I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to implement. It's supposed to only run the Doom trilogy.

DeHackED support would be awesome! And I think we'd see more 3D N64 homebrew if that were to happen.

5 hours ago, Immorpher said:

I hear it crashes on map 5 because that map breaks vanilla limits.

That's my assumption, but I'm not entirely sure, but it's not unlikely.

5 hours ago, Individualised said:

As long as the WAD is under 28MB and uses the vanilla limits, it should fit and run. I tried making a ROM for Phase 2, but unfortunately, it was too big and wouldn't build.

7 hours ago, ValveMercenary said:

I posted the ROM in the DooM64 discord. I'll try to attach it here, though. I'll also include my modified build script to run it in Linux(needs LibDragon installed).

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Here it is! Link

There's a much better version in the vanilla wad pack too, based on the input from the kovic. I need to cut it out and release it standalone!

If someone can use FreeDooM as a base to make some standalone versions of those vanilla wads, especially if they're TC's, I'd be down to build a few ROMs.

I created this ROM just to see if I could, and because I wanted to try out my EverDrive64 I got for xmas, but I didn't realize until afterward that it'd be a great way for people to try out 64DooM, as not everyone will be able to figure out how to put a ROM together, as the build tools are CLI-based.

free64DOOM.z64.7z

make_doom_linux.sh.7z

Edited by 8bitdboy

35 minutes ago, 8bitdboy said:

If someone can use FreeDooM as a base to make some standalone versions of those vanilla wads, especially if they're TC's, I'd be down to build a few ROMs.

Anyone know how well Freedoom's textures work with maps made for Doom 1? Because this is a cool idea.

1 minute ago, Immorpher said:

Anyone know how well Freedoom's textures work with maps made for Doom 1? Because this is a cool idea.

Depends on what you mean by that, as they're the same resolution, have the same names, and are made to look similar.

4 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Freedoom is designed so that you can run Doom .WADs without actually owning Doom.

Nice, well it sounds like Freedoom can then be used as a base for bundling WADs into freely distributable 64doom N64 roms!

2 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

I think I confused it with the 64Doom

This uses 64DooM... It says so in the original post...

9 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Nice, well it sounds like Freedoom can then be used as a base for bundling WADs into freely distributable 64doom N64 roms!

If there's enough leftover space. You may have to rebuild the WAD as an iWAD using FreeDooM as the base. I think Aliens TC would be doable.

EDIT: Apparently Aliens TC used DeHackED.
Someone's gonna have to add 64DooM support to that program.

Edited by 8bitdboy : New info came available.

9 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Now, that certainly gets the imagination firing. A whole new sub-community based on N64 roms of popular doom wads. When this gets further along, I think I'd spend some dosh to get my hands on a repro cart with freedoom on it. Ooh! That same community making repro carts for those same wads!

Mm, like I said. Gets the imagination going. Seriously though, very cool.

So I have realized that I am a bit out of my element in combining textures into Freedoom using the TEXTUREx stuff. Also a lot of mods seem to have dehacked, which isnt implemented yet for 64Doom.

Can anyone recommend a vanilla megawad without custom textures and without dehacked? We tried Demonfear, it does load into the main menu, but then it crashes at the skill select. I am not sure if its related to the texturex file it has. We tried with the freedoom texturex file and also the demonfear texturex file, no luck. But coming from Doom 64, I dont know what I am doing with texturex files.

Perhaps a Doom 1 set would be good?

Edited by Immorpher

14 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

So I have realized that I am a bit out of my element in combining textures into Freedoom using the TEXTUREx stuff. Also a lot of mods seem to have dehacked, which isnt implemented yet for 64Doom.

Can anyone recommend a vanilla megawad without custom textures and without dehacked? We tried Demonfear, it does load into the main menu, but then it crashes at the skill select. I am not sure if its related to the texturex file it has. We tried with the freedoom texturex file and also the demonfear texturex file, no luck. But coming from Doom 64, I dont know what I am doing with texturex files.

I am surprised Demonfear does not work because it has no custom textures afaik.

Try NJ Doom then.

8 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

I am surprised Demonfear does not work because it has no custom textures afaik.

Try NJ Doom then.

Indeed it doesnt have any custom textures, so I am not sure what the definition is for. But I will try NJ Doom!

17 hours ago, 8bitdboy said:

This uses 64DooM... It says so in the original post...

I get that but I was under the impression that freedoom was already a part of 64doom.