Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TH-555

malotaurs

heretic, episode II, hells maw, level 8 gates of chaos, how do i beat those friggin things? i dont think its possible to kill them, but how do i beat the level, so far i havent found a way. and yes, i know its not possible to beat them, empty everypiece of ammo in the level into them, they still dont die help me!

TH-555 said:

heretic, episode II, hells maw, level 8 gates of chaos, how do i beat those friggin things? i dont think its possible to kill them, but how do i beat the level, so far i havent found a way. and yes, i know its not possible to beat them, empty everypiece of ammo in the level into them, they still dont die help me!

They die, but it takes a very long time. These are probably the hardest to kill monsters in all Doom engine games I know of. Just one hint: Dont waste ammo when they do their charge attack (fly towards you) In that state they are invulnerable.

They do take a while to die, but there is a fairly quick way to kill one (any more of them hanging around at the time will make this more difficult). First, make sure you have the Phoenix Rod. Then use a Ring of Invincibility and Tome of Power when you're close to one. During the period of invulnerability, fire the powered up Phoenix Rod at close range (holding down the fire button for maximum firepower and damage per shot). It will take two of these shots to kill a Maulotaur with full health, and you might be able to do it before the invulnerability wears off. Also, there's more than enough Hellstaff runes to finish off the other two.

Heh, at first the Maulotaurs seem unbeatable, but believe me, they can be beaten.
Oh, and like Enjay's said, you're going to love E5M8, heheheheh.

Enjay said:

TH-555, you're gonna love E5M8 :-)

And he'll love Carnage Galore, Ichor of the Gods and Shadowcaster even more...

TH-555: If you haven't got the rod/ring/tome combo, here's some alternatives: Crossbow with tome, Wand with tome, Hellstaff and Firemace, all with plenty of shots. (playing the above 3 episodes will teach you that)

Ichor: I've actually killed two of them before the ring wears off (in E4M2).

The important thing is to get to know what your various power-ups do and to learn to use them effectively (and not get killed when browsing the inventory!). The tome of power is the biggie, obviously. Actually I found the powered-up hellstaff a pretty good and easy to use multi-purpose weapon for taking down the bigger enemies, but like Ichor says, the phoenix rod, is top dog once you get to grips with it.

And of course, you need to run and strafe well, but that kind of goes without saying in these games.

BTW, has anyone else noticed the similarity between this map and HR map15?

thanks guys, but im on the maximum difficulty. ive tried the ring before, but unfortunately, ive already used it and saved. i think im screwed. im almost out of ammo, too. crap. crap indeed.

You should be OK on skill 5 (even from a wand start - Ultimate DooMer has done that, though I haven't myself). It sounds like you might have already wasted too much ammo though.

When I played it on skill 5 myself, I don't recall how much ammo I had on arriving at this map, but I think the maulataurs went down fairly easily. I probably mostly just pelted them with the powered-up hellstaff, 'cos I'm a lamer. :)

BTW, which .exe are you using?

no clue. but i beat em this morning, they were almost dead it turns out. 200 runes each, and they fell. now im trying E3s1 its real pain, havent done well so far. dome of desparil level one, pleeze tell me where i can find something besides the stupid elvenwand, cant find any weapons that sucks

TH-555 said:

no clue. but i beat em this morning, they were almost dead it turns out. 200 runes each, and they fell. now im trying E3s1 its real pain, havent done well so far. dome of desparil level one, pleeze tell me where i can find something besides the stupid elvenwand, cant find any weapons that sucks

Leave the start room, press the switch to open the gate and press the switch on the north wall. This lowers some goodies in the area before, among them a dragon claw. The only other weapons in this level are the gauntlets and the Hellstaff which is right before the level exit (and rather useless in this level), so don't waste time searching for any.

You have to really be careful with your ammo on this map, or you might run out about halfway through. I'd use the staff to take out the gargoyles until you go through the first door. After that, you should have plenty to kill the Iron Lich. You won't get the crossbow here, but you'll get plenty of arrows for the next map.

Here's a little secret which might help you, although it's rather risky. In the Iron Lich area, kill the gargoyles first so they won't distract you, but don't kill the Iron Lich just yet. Stand right next to the exit area and wait for a tornado (it helps to have some distance between you and the Iron Lich so you can avoid the other attacks). If you're lucky, the tornado will pick you up and drop you onto the ground, allowing you to get the Hellstaff or even exit the map early.

Radek Pecka beat E3M1 in 40 seconds on Black Plague skill. Pretty cool demo, though the exit is pure luck (he even says so himself in the txt file).

Yes, that exit trick is all luck. There were times when I was waiting at least two or three minutes before the Iron Lich shot its first tornado for me to use.

Another technique which I discovered by myself while playing E2M8 is to manage driving the malotaurs to that big hole (with some water) and stand by the deeper side of the hole but from a certain distance from it so you can use the wall at your left to protect yourself from the fire shot by the big monsters. With some luck (or skill) they won´t be able to escape from the hole so you can activate the hellstaff/TOP combo and kill them somewhat easily.

thanx guys, knew most of that stuff, but not where to find the dragon claw that'll help. yeah and i was wondering how to get over that stupid wall next to the lich.

OK, another level beat, time for the next one.