Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
999cop

Game Informer Names Top 10 Games for E3

Game Informer Names Top 10 Games for E3
Thursday May 22, 9:02 am ET
Half Life 2 is Game of the Show

MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 22, 2003--After much debate and discussion within the offices of Game Informer, the nation's leading computer and video game magazine, the magazine staff has selected its Top 10 games for E3.

"All of these games are fantastic, but Half Life 2 was the standout 'Game of the Show.' We were blown away by this game, which represents a breakthrough in gaming. It involves an extremely intricate physics model that takes gaming in a whole new dimension," said GI Editor-in-Chief Andy McNamara.

For a complete wrap-up of show coverage with top games by platform, see the July issue of Game Informer, due out June 24.

Game Informer Top 10 Games of E3 2003

1) Half-Life 2 - Game of the Show
Publisher: Vivendi Universal
Developer: Valve
Platform: PC/Xbox

2) Halo 2
Publisher: Microsoft Games
Developer: Bungie
Platform: Xbox

3) Doom 3
Publisher: Activision
Developer: id Softwave

4) Gran Turismo 4
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Developer: Polyphony Digital
Platform: PlayStation 2

5) Fable
Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios
Developer: Big Blue Box
Platform: Xbox

6) Tony Hawk's Underground
Publisher: Activision
Developer: Neversoft

7) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Publisher: Konami
Developer: KCEJ
Platform: PlayStation 2

8) The Sims 2
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: Maxis
Platform: PC

9) SSX 3
Publisher: EA Big
Developer: EA Canada
Platform: Xbox/GameCube/PlayStation 2

10) Mario Kart: Double Dash
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Nintendo
Platform: GameCube

Disorder said:

Half-life 2 at first place, that was to be expected.

agreed, it certainly won my vote. but halo 2? O_o i about fell asleep during the trailer for that. then again, doom III made no real impression on me either.

sargebaldy said:

agreed, it certainly won my vote. but halo 2? O_o i about fell asleep during the trailer for that. then again, doom III made no real impression on me either.

Half Life 2 will get old some time later :p

After much debate and discussion within the offices of Game Informer, the nation's leading computer and video game magazine, the magazine staff has selected its Top 10 games for E3.

Bull. The only place they sell is the EB stores, and the only way they sell is when EB signs its customers up for demo subscriptions.

i think it was utterly stupid on ids part to only release 2 freaking videos for doom 3. everyone was expecting a lot to be released, and they go and release 2 videos and no information whatsoever about their game. half life deserved the best in show.

yeah, i think id seriously underestimated the competition from half life 2 :P

they did the same thing they did at last year's E3. they should have been bombarding us with cool stuff this time around. somehow i think that even if they had hl2 would have still have looked more promising.

and is it just me or has doom3 not come very far at all in the last year? i was expecting a complete makeover by now, but i saw in one of the vids that they were still using parts from at least one of the maps from the alpha (which were all pretty meh). they still only showed us dark indoor grey-blue techish areas... hardly the picture in my mind of doom.

I don't know much about HL2. Sounds like it may have Doom 3's number tugged under a sailor's sweaty pillow. I think I'll go read up a little on the game.

AndrewB said:

I don't know much about HL2. Sounds like it may have Doom 3's number tugged under a sailor's sweaty pillow. I think I'll go read up a little on the game.

Goat said:

i think it was utterly stupid on ids part to only release 2 freaking videos for doom 3. everyone was expecting a lot to be released, and they go and release 2 videos and no information whatsoever about their game. half life deserved the best in show.

They want you to wait for the game dude. Baa!!

It's nice to see companies besides id making game engines and making great games. I'm all for the competition.

well theres one, the 2 mins 50 second one ( i think thats the time ) and then theres another that is xbox footage.

Not a XBox fan, so Halo2 is not for me, don't know how TH:Underground is set, and what the hell is SSX3?

Otherwise, the rest of those games i'm looking forward too. HL2 will inevitably beat Doom3, well, if not beat then at least kick it's ass in some form. They have hyped Doom 3 up for too long, and Valve were smart by releasing some stuff only a few months prior to release.

They seem to be hyping it up, but I think its going to backfire: theres no way Doom 3 is going to be able to live up to the hype surrounding it.

fraggle said:

They seem to be hyping it up, but I think its going to backfire: theres no way Doom 3 is going to be able to live up to the hype surrounding it.

as much as i dont want to believe that, i am starting to now :(

fraggle said:

And you think HL2 can?

Zoorado said:

And you think HL2 can?

Yes!

How many newbie FPS people have started with HL and CS? Heaps. How many people will pickup the new Doom cause they loved the original? Not as many. HL2 will be big because of all the newb CSers.

mmnpsrsoskl said:
Yes!

How many newbie FPS people have started with HL and CS? Heaps. How many people will pickup the new Doom cause they loved the original? Not as many. HL2 will be big because of all the newb CSers.

I think you underestimate just how many people loved doom. Also, if there is a new CS type mod, doom 3 would probably get it… Unless half life 2 has some kind of deal with the CS lot, and is being developed along side it. I donno. We’ll see.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

How many people will pickup the new Doom cause they loved the original?

true that. a lot of old doomers have retired and then there's probably a couple like me whon won't buy doom III because they love doom :)

I guess you are right. I asked 10 people today and they thought HL2 was a better game so far than Doom3. I guess they are all those CS guys then :P

HL2 looks great. So does Doom3. I just don't like the fact that it's portrayed now to be more of a survival horror game.

sargebaldy said:

true that. a lot of old doomers have retired and then there's probably a couple like me whon won't buy doom III because they love doom :)

and you would buy hl2? god that sounds really odd to me

I've seen the big quicktime movei for hl2. The graphics are good outside, pretty bad inside. The physics are ok, but suffer from numerous bugs. The AI looks to be ok, but a lot of what we see is pre-scripted ;) Everything is fine except it looks so incredibly mindbogglingly boring.

Shaviro said:

I've seen the big quicktime movei for hl2. The graphics are good outside, pretty bad inside. The physics are ok, but suffer from numerous bugs. The AI looks to be ok, but a lot of what we see is pre-scripted ;) Everything is fine except it looks so incredibly mindbogglingly boring.

Ofcourse there are bugs..... THE GAME ISN'T DONE YET!

Sometimes even the most obvious of facts, people still can't understand...