Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bloodshedder

Time for Doom

cph writes in about something interesting for Doomers in the United Kingdom to see, as well as the rest of us. It appears that The Times (not to be confused with the New York Times) seems to be putting out a series of articles on the book Masters of Doom, which has already been published (I think) in the US, but apparently only comes out in the UK on November 6th. Find the first article online here and apparently another blurb which was inset from that one in the actual printed copy here.

VERY interesting, seeing as that paper was among the many blaming doom, quake and metal for the columbine shootings ect..

I suspect The Times is too big and diverse an operation to have any coherently applied editorial policy on minor questions like "do computer games cause violence?".

BTW, this reminds me that I have a contact at the Sunday Times Magazine (or at least I did as of about a year ago - haven't been in touch with her for a while) who is constantly looking for miscellaneous stories to fill pages in this glossy supplement. So, if anyone has any really good ideas for a Doom-related general-interest story that could be mainly colour picture-based, let me know and I'll pass them on (well, if I don't think it's going to be a waste of time).

Bloodshedder: the cph mail link needs fixing.

I doubt The Times actually said anything outright about blaming a game for school shootings, that's not the style it has. It's very hands-off and tries not to display any kind of editorial bias (though you can read one into it if you like, it's slightly conservative). It would be far more likely to have just reported on the controversy in America. I don't remember the stories though, so I can't be sure.

I note that they still haven't worked out Romero doesn't work for Ion Storm any more. Heh.

Windows 96? o_O

And the e-mail link problem is something screwy with the translation from HTML to the forums. I'll see if it can get fixed.

deathbringer said:

VERY interesting, seeing as that paper was among the many blaming doom, quake and metal for the columbine shootings ect..

Nah, that was mainly the Mail, and to a lesser extent the Express.

BTW, for those non-Brits out there who might not know, The Times is owned by Emperor Murdoch.

Well i think the mail goes without saying XD, but then according to them there's pedophiles and murderes on every street and the apocalypse is coming every day XD (incedenatally, check out the latest story at dailynail.co.uk XD), er, and i forgot what else i was gonna say..

Sign in to follow this