Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cek12345

Doom 3-Wish List (If this has already been done then please delete this. t/y)

Please post what you want in Doom 3 in this wish-list topic. I'll post what I would like latter on. If someone could give me the email to id so I can send this to them, that would be great. (I couldn't find it on their website :-()
Take Care everyone. :-D

Mail may not be a good idea, but I know for sure guys at id do visit these forums regularly.

The Reverend Julian said:

Mail may not be a good idea, but I know for sure guys at id do visit these forums regularly.

Probably just to make sure no unauthorized content is posted :)

Fredrik said:

OMGFISN.

Fredrik said:

And to check 3057 screenshots! :P
btw. Julian --->IRC

Shaviro said:

And to check 3057 screenshots! :P
btw. Julian --->IRC

Not from work my dear.

Not from work my dear.

Damn j00!
Go home sick or something.

Heh, I wonder what they think of the impsex fanfic.

All I wish for is badass sound effects, gibbing and the old fashiond double barrle shotgun.

I wanna see my main man the CACODEMON and see some of the original doom levels remade as extras or secrets...

pickle965 said:

I wanna see my main man the CACODEMON and see some of the original doom levels remade as extras or secrets...

Yea now that I think of it I could go for that to :P

1. Monsters with different faces/hair colours, so they don't look like twins/triplets.

2. Model decals.

3. The return of the spiked knuckle duster.

4. An M16 A2.

5. Some kind of high score mode for single player.

6. LONG CGI cut scenes. They really, really add to the story if they're good (Starcraft).

7. 'The Making of Doom III' in the credits.

8. Humour.

1. Monsters with different faces/hair colours, so they don't look like twins/triplets.

Meh, that'd be cool but dull at the same time, they'd have to make tons and tons of skins for the faces and stuff to make them look diversified enough.

2. Model decals.

Done

3. The return of the spiked knuckle duster.

Might be cool

4. An M16 A2.

Wtf do you think the machine gun was made to do? It was made to make any M-16 clones look gay.

5. Some kind of high score mode for single player.

No thanks, what would be the point? See if I can break my old high-score?

6. LONG CGI cut scenes. They really, really add to the story if they're good (Starcraft).

CGI? Uh...wtf, you want to take up a bunch of fucking space? It'd be better, more efficient and easier to make cut-scenes in game, as they have been doing.

7. 'The Making of Doom III' in the credits.

I'd prefer this on a seperate disc / DVD

8. Humour.

Doom > Duke Nukem. Doom isn't made to be funny, it's made to create brown stains on your pants.

BBG said:

Doom > Duke Nukem. Doom isn't made to be funny, it's made to create brown stains on your pants.

...Which is funny. :D

BBG said:

Actually, there is a little bit of humour in Doom: When you grab a new weapon and the face in the HUD lights up his madman grin. If that's not humour, then I don't know what humour is.

But yes, Doom shouldn't have lameass Dukey-style humour. In fact, humour should only be reserved to easter eggs. Can't take overly humourous games like Serious Sam and Duke3d serious.

I don't understand people's beefs with "identical skins" - it's completely irrelevant to the gameplay if two troopers look different from one another and it's a waste of the developers' time which they could've spent on making the real gameplay more awesome.
So screw that - gimme kickass gameplay instead.

revenant_fister said:

Yeah i was kinda hoping that i didn't get the feeling that i was fighting the same badguy each time. I was kinda hoping that one time i come across a fat zombie with a goatee and the next time i encounter a fat zombie he has a moustache (as ridicolous as the example may seem you catch my drift). But it would put a lot of workload on id. I suppose it would be ok if it was little differences (eg hair or eye colour) but at the end of the day, you have to consider the game's atmosphere, the fact that the monsters are trying to kill you and if you could really give two hoots about if a zombie has one eyebrow before you blast his rear-rend.

Besides, with the ragdoll physics and the bullet hole effects, the monsters will look a little different each time anyway, espicially when they're dead. :D

As for my wish list.

1. Hoping that this game will be great enough to play again and again and beat a dozen times, as well as spawn off loads of mods to play again and again.
2. A close combat weapon to start off with. I don't entirely want to be shit out of luck when i run out of ammo. You play a hero after all. It won't look heroic if you're cornered and scared (ie "get away from me *whimper" etc). Even if that's what you do, If there is at least a return of the fist attack, then you will at least know that you could have died trying.

I was going to say let's have the mighty foot thing from duke nukem 3D (ie kicking and shooting at the same time) but as Id said there won't be alternative fire.

With regard to the replies to my wish-list..

1. Multiple skins.. couldn't they just have separate skins for a monsters head, body, legs etc? And then, mix and match- you would only need like 4 different skins for each and you would end up with dozens of different combinations.

3. The knuckle duster- ranged weapons like the blaster in Quake 2 suck, that's my point- I want to have a reason to be scared of running out of ammo- otherwise, you just end up blowing all your ammo and going back to using the boring (but effective) ranged weapon all the time.

4. The 'futuristic', gimmicky machine guns ID put in Quake 2 and Quake 3 sucked- the M16 you see in CS or Firearms for Half-Life is always cooler.

5. The high score mode would add replay value- points for time, points for killing the most monsters in a limited period, etc. Doom 2 had a KIND of score mode, in that you got a score for your time, and you could try to beat your friends'. This is my point here.

6. CGI scenes... well yeah, they could use the game's engine for these, whatever. Just have some sections that explain the story a bit.

7. The making of Doom III. I just meant a small thing with maybe a commentary that you can unlock, so as you play through, and you see stuff, sections of commentary are activated. For example, you see an imp, Adrian Carmack goes "Yeah, my inspiration for the way he walks was from this program I saw about blah blah.. "

8. Doom is made to be funny, but in a subtle way. How can you not find the revenant punching humourous? He looks like such a geek when he swings! And getting a pack of steroids that allows you to punch people so hard they explode is damn funny if you ask me (as the manual says, "now you can tear ordinary dudes limb from limb!")..

revenant_fister said:

8. Doom is made to be funny, but in a subtle way. How can you not find the revenant punching humourous? He looks like such a geek when he swings! And getting a pack of steroids that allows you to punch people so hard they explode is damn funny if you ask me (as the manual says, "now you can tear ordinary dudes limb from limb!")..

I suppose the manual does throw in some kinda humour, but if anything i feel doom is cool, not funny. There's relatively a significant difference between the two.

Wait for comedy mods. I'm sure someone will do something funny.

dsm said:

Can't take overly humourous games like Serious Sam and Duke3d serious.

I don't think you're supposed to. :P

At least, not in Serious Sam's case.

revenant_fister said:
1. Multiple skins.. couldn't they just have separate skins for a monsters head, body, legs etc? And then, mix and match- you would only need like 4 different skins for each and you would end up with dozens of different combinations.

Do you have any idea how long time it can take to do just a different face? As I said: completely redundant.

3. The knuckle duster- ranged weapons like the blaster in Quake 2 suck, that's my point- I want to have a reason to be scared of running out of ammo- otherwise, you just end up blowing all your ammo and going back to using the boring (but effective) ranged weapon all the time.

Already in - both the fist and the chainsaw will be back.

4. The 'futuristic', gimmicky machine guns ID put in Quake 2 and Quake 3 sucked- the M16 you see in CS or Firearms for Half-Life is always cooler.

M16s are fucking lame imo - there's nothing original or interesting about them: they're just real life weapons thrown into the game without any imagination put behind them and as such, they're pretty uninspiring. I agree that Q3A's machinegun looked ugly, but Q2's rocked imo.

8. Doom is made to be funny, but in a subtle way. How can you not find the revenant punching humourous? He looks like such a geek when he swings! And getting a pack of steroids that allows you to punch people so hard they explode is damn funny if you ask me (as the manual says, "now you can tear ordinary dudes limb from limb!").. [/B]

The punching revenant was imo one of the things that halfway ruined Doom 2 for me. I hate that thing because of its geekiness.

2. A close combat weapon to start off with. I don't entirely want to be shit out of luck when i run out of ammo. You play a hero after all. It won't look heroic if you're cornered and scared (ie "get away from me *whimper" etc). Even if that's what you do, If there is at least a return of the fist attack, then you will at least know that you could have died trying.

As I said, it's already in and there's not just one of them, but *two* (fist and chainsaw) like in the classic Doom games.

I always thought that Doom was meant to be sorta scary, sorta serious, with some morbid humor thrown in, like the manual's description of the berserk pack and the actual effects of it in-game. And of COURSE the revenant's punches look silly--it's a skeleton!

revenant_fister said:

How can you not find the revenant punching humourous? He looks like such a geek when he swings!

dsm said:

The punching revenant was imo one of the things that halfway ruined Doom 2 for me. I hate that thing because of its geekiness.

The revenant looks a lot cooler now. And it's melee attack looks more like a slash (like the new imp, if you've seen it) than a full on punch. Which looks a lot better IMO. Less co-ordinated, more like amindless demon trying to rip you apart.

1. Multiple skins. Do I have any idea how long it would take to do another face? Well, you'd have to draw it, colour it, scan it.. probably take a couple of hours in total. But then, you only need a few. I mean, all the little details take ages- it probably took hours for Valve to make the vending machines breakable in Half-Life, but it was still worth it.

4. M16s are fucking lame? Then why is Counter Strike like the most popular online game in history if its so crap? Go in a CS forum, and ask them if they'd rather have the M16 or the Q2 machine gun in their game. Why do so many modern films/TV shows have M16s in if they're not cool? There are plenty of other guns they could use..

8. Nah, the revenants were hilarious. Whoever came up with the concept of skeletons that wear a fetching combination of shoulder pads and red cycling shorts deserves a medal. Oh, and lets not forget the shoulder mounted rocket launchers..

revenant_fister said:

M16s are fucking lame? Then why is Counter Strike like the most popular online game in history if its so crap? Go in a CS forum, and ask them if they'd rather have the M16 or the Q2 machine gun in their game. Why do so many modern films/TV shows have M16s in if they're not cool? There are plenty of other guns they could use..

1. CS's forum is dead as hell, much less active than here.
2. If you ask such question in a CS forum, of course they would say the stuff from CS is cooler than Q2. A pretty coherent response hearing from them, don't you think?

revenant_fister said:

4. M16s are fucking lame? Then why is Counter Strike like the most popular online game in history if its so crap? Go in a CS forum, and ask them if they'd rather have the M16 or the Q2 machine gun in their game. Why do so many modern films/TV shows have M16s in if they're not cool? There are plenty of other guns they could use..

We could ask another question. Do people consider CounterStrike cool because it has an m16?

revenant_fister said:

For me, the cool part of CS lies in the sounds and weapon animations - everything else about it sucks imo.
Here's part of my beefs.
Originality meter: Close to zero - it's just real life stuff which is pretty much never original or interesting.
Gameplay: I hate the "ultra-realism" (it's not fully realistic, but it's so much more realistic than the games I consider fun) of CS, because very often, it becomes more bothersome to play. Especially the fact that you can only carry around two weapons is gay imo.

Funny thing is that my bro loves CS to bits - but he and I are also two vastly different people when it comes to games. I respect his views, but I get pissed when people try to mix CS' style with Doom, because those two just don't mix!

Doom is a game I consider extremely original and interesting. Doom 3 may not be as original as the classic one was (because it's just reusing an old concept), but the plot and settings are far more intriguing (sp?) and display a lot of imagination. Games like Doom provide lots of inspiration for imaginative geeks like me (you just have no idea how many drawings I've done that have hidden elements and ideas from Doom in it).
And a great part of this originality lies in the original weapon designs, so don't come here ruining it all by throwing lame real-life guns in it.
If I wanted to look at real life guns, I'd just do a search for images of guns on the internet.