Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Ugliest Doom2 Level

So, what, in your opinion, is the ugliest Doom2 level? For me, it's gotta be map09, The Pit. The textures and flats for this level simply just don't go together IMO (like in the yellow key area, where there's green rock and flashing computer consoles, wtf), and it has the general look and feel of a level that was done and playtested in around 30 minutes.

I always thought it looked like something resembling a factory from the outside, but once inside it all goes downhill rather quickly, heh.

21 - Nirvana (makes no sense whatsoever)
25 - Bloodfalls (it looks good in the beginning, but it looks incomplete)

Er, wrong forum much? But anyway...

Map05 - Not terrible, but very brown and boring
Map10 - A couple of nice spots, but mainly very plain and random texture wise
MAP27 - Horrible, looks like someones first attempt at a level.
MAP25 - Ichor is right about this one, the later sections look like they were done in about 5 minutes and never revised.

Ichor said:

(makes no sense whatsoever)

A lot of people would say that sums up Doom2 as a whole, heheh :)

Doomboy, how long will it take you to learn where to post?

On topic. I don't know... map30!?

08,21,24 and 30 are strong candidates, I guess it will be map30.

It's amazing how much prettier most of the Doom 2 levels get if you just replace the sky graphics. Anyway, ignoring the Wolfs, MAP21 is possibly the ugliest, while the stone-themed ones (MAP11, MAP17...) are the best looking in general. Not because they're extraordinarily nice, but because they're consistent and fairly detailed.

The levels I hate are:

MAP01, MAP02, MAP03, MAP04, MAP05, MAP06, MAP07, MAP08, MAP09, MAP10, MAP11, MAP12, MAP13, MAP14, MAP15, MAP16, MAP17, MAP18, MAP19, MAP20, MAP21, MAP22, MAP23, MAP24, MAP25, MAP26, MAP27, MAP28, MAP29, MAP30, MAP31, and MAP32

The rest are okay.

I don't like The Pit. I can put up with the rest from a gameplay kind of view, though I don't like Catacombs much either.

Nanami said:

The levels I hate are:

MAP01, MAP02, MAP03, MAP04, MAP05, MAP06, MAP07, MAP08, MAP09, MAP10, MAP11, MAP12, MAP13, MAP14, MAP15, MAP16, MAP17, MAP18, MAP19, MAP20, MAP21, MAP22, MAP23, MAP24, MAP25, MAP26, MAP27, MAP28, MAP29, MAP30, MAP31, and MAP32

The rest are okay.

heh... Hmm... I would say map12, map19, map21, map24, map27, map28, map30 is rather boring. The best one (heh, doomboy) is map09 for me, I love the style of that level. :)

Torn said:

The best one (heh, doomboy) is map09 for me, I love the style of that level. :)

You like ugly levels?

Nanami said:

The levels I hate are:

The rest are okay.

I wonder when you last played DooM 2 then...

I'd say the worst one was map 21.

Map 01-30

Oh and considering the two Wolfie maps as Doom maps, I'd probably say that they're ugly too - at least if it weren't for those nifty Wolf3d textures :-P

DooMBoy said:

You like ugly levels?

Well, perhaps he doesn't think it's ugly, fagstore.

Good Lord, anyone with half an eye can see map09 is undoubtedly one of the ugliest maps in the game, fuckcake.

DooMBoy said:

Good Lord, anyone with half an eye can see map09 is undoubtedly one of the ugliest maps in the game, fuckcake.

map09 rocks, cocklover.

It might do it, but dammit to fucking hell, people, it's one the fugliest levels in the whole entire game, and there's no doubting that. Enough with the insults already, cumguzzlers.

The Pit's texturing was pretty poor, but I think the gameplay was decent enough (the four lifts idea was pretty cool, too - at the time, anyway). For me, Barrels o' Fun (Map23) had no redeeming qualities... poor texturing, horrible architechture, and less than spectacular gameplay. The "shitloads of barrels" idea was good, but unfortunately I think Sandy Petersen (whom I believe made that map) dropped the ball on it. The barrels aspect could have been used more thoughtfully and tactically IMO. The secret room with the barrels in The Crusher (Map06) is more of what I have in mind.

15: Industrial Zone

I gotta puke now, be right back.

In The Pit debate, I think I like the way it looks. It used to be my least favorite level though.