Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mewse

Doom Depotted

The Doom Depot has been updated with some new information on the continuing spectacle that is the Doom 64 TC. Also, there seems to be a new project called Dark Nexus, which uses the Doom 64 resources, and ANOTHER project called Doom64: REVisioned which is a remake of Doom1 using the Doom64 resources.

Coming spectacle indeed, can't wait to play it. :)

Also nice to see the password idea was dropped, I wasn't going to believe it would satisfy Midway even if they did care about the TC. Either that or they're gonna do it like FOX did with Aliens TC for Quake several years ago, where it was just about finished before they stepped in and took them down. Sneaky bastards.

rofl, man hilarious update doom64 guys, really some top notch humor there

I hope there is no more legal complications.. I REALLY want this to come out! I own Doom 64, mind you, but I wanna see what it would look like here as well.

Why was the Aliens TC cancelled? what was warez about that? Unless they were taking from an aliens game.. Cause in that case, what of the Metroid TC, or the Sonic TC? Could those go down as well? Here's another example. What about Star Wars Doom? If Aliens can be taken down, why is that not?

Making stuff in the Doom 64 theme is fun, though. :P

don't look at me. the other stuff isn't my idea.

Hehe.. Melfice obviously loves them Doom 64 resources :P

well, I am really looking forward to see his Dark Nexus project, but I don't think the other project is a good idea...

yeah the doom64 resources are nice, but mapping for doom2 is a lot better.....and easier.

Lost Soul said:

Why was the Aliens TC cancelled?

Plain old copyright infringement... it's been many years so I don't remember the details, but the team never planned on selling the TC. Still, FOX thought the basis for the idea wasn't right and ordered them to cease developing it further. If it was to be released at all, it would have been a commercial product. This also refers to my comment about waiting for the team to be almost finished with the project before stepping in and shutting down several months worth of work. You gotta be careful around copyrighted material from FOX, who always has a stick up their ass about this sorta thing. ;)

Similar occurrences happened with the Bid for Power (DBZ) mod for Q3 and possibly a Q3 Doom conversion that I don't hear about anymore (not sure if it was shut down by ID or just cancelled by the team). Some of the models were released standalone afterwards:

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/info/quake3/arachnatron/arachnatron.shtml

EDIT: the term "getting FOXed" comes from the idea of TCs/mods being shut down for copyright infringement late in development, something most older TCs would refer to in similar cases.

EDIT2: also, the DBZ mod wasn't completely shut down, just forced not to use the characters.

That Arachnotron model kicks ass. If only Doom had MD3's (Legacy MIGHT get them).

Anyway, I would think it to be a good idea to get back on topic :P

but I don't think the other project is a good idea...

yeah the doom64 resources are nice, but mapping for doom2 is a lot better.....and easier.

Well I think that the Doom 2 REvisioned is going to be for Doom 2, even if it is Doom 1 maps. I WAS working on E3M1, though I don't know why it's taking so long for me to finish it :P

I agree about the doom1 remake project... I don't really look forward to seeing a new version of the original game. I've seen that enough with added models, lighting effects from ports like JDoom, etc.

Dark Nexus, being a completely new project on the other hand, has my support. Keep the new megawads coming!

Some more models BTW:

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/downloads/index.asp?model=532
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/downloads/index.asp?model=926

but I don't think the other project is a good idea...

It's crossed my mind before not to do it...

I just have fun redoing older stuff to see what it look like newer. I don't know though..I may not publicly release it, perhaps rather instead just send the REvisioned project off to those who want it. But converting the Ultimate Doom levels is suprisingly easy, so I imagine I'll just do that later. Maybe throw one or two in as secret levels in Dark Nexus.

Anyways, right now I'm mainly working on Dark Nexus. Actually whoever posted the news left out the majority of it that I want posted, since the news was mostly about Dark Nexus anyway. Apparently that can't get done right, just like the /newstuff reviews (until Tormenter667 did it that one time, that was great).

Anyways, to restate part of what I said in the news I sent, that didn't get shown, I'm looking for well experienced mappers with good .acs scripting experience to do some ZDoom levels for Dark Nexus, or maybe even levels that span across all three ports. So if you're interested email me or head over to the Depot's forums and post around there or something. The rest of the news that wasn't placed here like it was supposed to be, you can find over at the Dark Nexus page at the Doom Depot under the hosted section.

...Signing Off...

Cyb said:

rofl, man hilarious update doom64 guys, really some top notch humor there

You should be shot. But seriously, we're taking msot of these projects seriously, and it's assholes like you, making us worry all the time, slowing progress.

I agree with Footman, although I do guess it's acceptible for you to laugh at the fact that we're worried about idiots like Cyb.

Melfice Darkmage said:

whoever posted the news left out the majority of it that I want posted

...deliberately...

News is news.
Try not to blend your personal thoughs with facts when posting news.
Or at least label them as your own opinions.
Don't try to force your own opinion onto others.
That's all.

If you think we at the DooM Depot are [insert bad word here], please tell us directly instead.

I think the newsguys have the right to decide for themselves what is newsworthy, and how to word their own news posts.

Melfice Darkmage said:

Actually whoever posted the news left out the majority of it that I want posted, since the news was mostly about Dark Nexus anyway. Apparently that can't get done right, just like the /newstuff reviews (until Tormenter667 did it that one time, that was great).

Something tells me it wouldn't have been anywhere near as good if there had actually been a shitty wad released that week, which are the ones Newstuff reviewers usually get flamed over.

I'm looking for well experienced mappers with good .acs scripting experience to do some ZDoom levels for Dark Nexus.

Unfortunately, almost everyone who's even remotely good at ACS are already busy with their own project(s). Something like half of us (okay, slight exagerration =p) are working on RTC-3057.

footman said:

You should be shot. But seriously, we're taking msot of these projects seriously, and it's assholes like you, making us worry all the time, slowing progress.

First rule of verbal/written retaliation: blatant personal insults generally indicate a lack of intelligence.

First rule of posting messages on teh interweb: if you aren't sophisticated enough to make a comeback without personally insulting someone, at least don't insult people who work for the site you are posting on... unless you wish to be banned of course.

Melfice Darkmage said:

I agree with Footman, although I do guess it's acceptible for you to laugh at the fact that we're worried about idiots like Cyb.

Ditto for you.

Ghostpilot said:

News is news.
Try not to blend your personal thoughs with facts when posting news.
Or at least label them as your own opinions.
Don't try to force your own opinion onto others.
That's all.

The only thing in mewse's news post that you could claim wasn't 100% fact is the word 'spectacle'. Of course you could interpret 'spectacle' to mean "a regrettable public display, as of bad behaviour", but perhaps he merely meant it as in "something that can be seen or viewed", in which case it was also fact.

NiGHTMARE said:

The only thing in mewse's news post that you could claim wasn't 100% fact is the word 'spectacle'. Of course you could interpret 'spectacle' to mean "a regrettable public display, as of bad behaviour", but perhaps he merely meant it as in "something that can be seen or viewed", in which case it was also fact.

I can see where this is going, but I feel that I have to defend myself and my team.

First of all.
I do recognise sarcasm and irony.

Nightmare, you are right.
His newspost was almost 100% facts.
But he put it in a sacastic way.
I just think is very unprofessional to let personal thoughs affect the news.
Eveyone should be able to form their own opinion.

Maybe it's rather dull in the community right now. "Why not piss the DooM Depot guys off, it could be a laugh"
It's easy to pick a fight with us, because we often say things before we think.
I think that Mewse knew that this would piss Melfice off and put the news that way on purpose. And that is low.

mewse said:

The Doom Depot has been updated with some new information on the continuing spectacle that is the Doom 64 TC. Also, there seems to be a new project called Dark Nexus, which uses the Doom 64 resources, and ANOTHER project called Doom64: REVisioned which is a remake of Doom1 using the Doom64 resources.

Mr.Mewse and Cyb voiced their opinions rather load in posts like the "thievery of recources" and "DooM64-this" and "DooM64-that".
I know what they think about what we do at the DooM Depot.
That fine, everyone can't like what we do.
I even respect people that have the guts to say they don't like something.
But what I don't like is when mewse blends in sarcastic things in his newspost.

Can we please drop the pietossing and sarcasm now?

Heh well, it didn't seem sarcastic to me. Besides, I think you should know that if the DW staff REALLY don't like you or your project, they simply wouldn't post any news about it at all. Just go ask someone like Loony2ner ;)

Here's a truly sarcastic version of the news:

"The Doom Depot has been updated with some new information on that little known project, the Doom 64 TC. For some reason the team are also making a new project called Dark Nexus, which uses the Doom 64 resources. Oh yeah, and there's apparently ANOTHER project called Doom64: REVisioned which is a remake of Doom1 and uses - yes, you guessed it - the Doom64 resources."

NiGHTMARE said:

if the DW staff REALLY don't like you or your project, they simply wouldn't post any news at all about it.

True.
But I still think they want to piss us off bacause they know we are going to whine about it.

I also feel I should point out that one or even two staff members do not neccessarily reflect the views of DW as a whole. Perhaps this should be a disclaimer somewhere :)

cyb sent e-mail to elb, saying that midway was angry at us. apparently, they were flattered by what we're doing. obviously some people *cough*cyb*cough* want us to abandon the project

i believe my news post was accurate and appropriate. i'm
sorry if you are displeased. please, do not confuse the
deliberate trimming of details for incompetance on my part.
melfice's email to the news account was extremely lengthy,
and many of the details that i omitted would be better
suited for posting to the doom depot itself.
i will happily post news regarding the doom depot in the
future, so i hope you can find a resolution for your
problems.

mewse said:

i will happily post news regarding the doom depot in the future, so i hope you can find a resolution for your problems.

Oh well...
It seems that I once again have not "lived as I preach".
I talked before I thought.

BUT, I still think that you did that just to piss Melfice off.
Sarcasm is a dangerous weapon.
Use it with caution.

Errrr... don't take this to hard Melfice Darkmage, but I think it would be better for everyone if you left the PR to Elbryan42 and Deathman.

footman said:

cyb sent e-mail to elb, saying that midway was angry at us. apparently, they were flattered by what we're doing. obviously some people *cough*cyb*cough* want us to abandon the project

that's a blatant lie, I NEVER sent an email to any of you, furthermore I've already stated that I am looking forward to the TC, what I don't like is the attitudes of the majority of guys working on it about their TC. I'll try and explain this again, but I don't expect you to grasp it, nor do I expect to get anything out of it. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment or something.

YOUR TC IS ILLEGEAL. STEALING RESOURCES IS ILLEGEAL. FURTHERMORE THEY ARE NOT YOUR RESOURCES. I don't care personally, as I've done it myself, but you can't go claiming said resources as your own and get all pissy when someone says they're going to use them for whatever because GASP, they aren't yours.

Furthermore, any sort of half-assed blessing you may or may not have from the doom64 devs means shit. Until you have a written contract from Midway and Nintendo saying that you can use resources from Doom64, your TC will be illegal and there's not a goddamn thing you can do to change that fact (unless you obtain said licenses from Midway and Nintendo). Not passwording the zip, not distributing it to people who mail you a fucking picture of themselvs holding up their doom64 cart in one hand and drivers license in another. NOTHING. Get that through your skulls and I will be a happy man.

Other than that, I wish you all the best of luck, and please refrain from any further lies about me, thanks.