Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jayextee

I am not dead. Now help me ;)

This is a recruitment drive.

I'm after mappers who can make three levels in the Murderous Intent vein, for it's sequel, the imaginatively titled Murderous Intent 2.

You see, it's been a while since I actually even TOUCHED a Doom game, and out of curiosity, I played through maps01 - 03 of Intent2 (The finished ones) too see what I 'used to do, about five months ago'.

Now, this may sound odd, bigheaded, and all that, but WOW.
They're good, even if I say so myself. This HAS to get a release, I thought, especially given (a) the surprising reception the first levelset received and (b) the improvements '2' offers already.

So, I want three maps. That's three, from either different authors, or whatever. There's a custom texture set for this project (I don't want a single original to be used) and some nifty colormaps for water and all that, so whoever wants to do it will need a resource .wad -- so if you're interested, drop me a line: Jayextee@Yahoo.com

I'm also making a new map, and depending on how the exercise is for me, is whather or not I get back into doing it -- I left a while ago out of stress, and given Intent/Intent2's difficulty and the standards I impose on my own maps, I only feel I can do one more for now, leaving the total three short of the proposed seven maps.

So, uhm, yeah, who's in?

Jayextee!. I thought you left. :)
Welcome back.

Hmmm....I'm getting pretty good (IMO, of course) at making short and violent levels. But I dunno about big ones.

Last I checked, Pain wasn't going to be anything like Intent (1 _or_ 2).

Still, yeah, it's great to be back, I guess -- I'm toying with the idea of actually "returning", but for now, it's a temporary thing, since Intent2 MUST get released. Having not played/worked on it for five months or so, I kinda forgot about the quality of the work.

And it's no surprise to see boris partying at the news - you're, like, my fan club, dude I swear it! ;)

Anywho, yeah - if this gets finished, I'll see how I feel about continuing mapping, maybe for some other projects (Like a rumoured darkening one...).

I don't know -- I have stress levels to keep down, still.

On a side note, I'm also going to be finishing off my work on the Exhumed TC, resources-wise, and releasing it (And the two maps I finished for it) for others to complete. Are you listening (Or even still here), Cacodemon Leader?

And there was a Doom64 texture thing I was working on (My own remakes of the textures and similarly themed levels) but the Doom64 TC looks so excellent, I needn't bother with that. Although I ported a few textures over to Intent2 (Shame to waste all that effort, yeah).

Still, yeah, let me know if you're interested in making a map (Or two or three, whatever) for Murderous Intent 2 -- one of these being the Map07 boss battle (Always an enjoyable one to make, but I'm working on map04 and probably that only).

For the uninitiated; my project is not demanding - semi-detailed levels (Sub-Vrack2 quality) of a small - medium size packed with monsters is what I'm after. The only tough bit about design really is the testing -- with Intent I tried to get on UV the ABSOLUTE LIMIT of how hard a level can be whilst still completing it from a pistol start without saving (IMO, real Doom playing). I got close, but maybe too close. MI2 will hopefully be fairer, meaning easier playtesting.

Yeah, anyway; I'm rambling. Ciao for now ;)

Last I checked, Pain wasn't going to be anything like Intent (1 _or_ 2).

I'm flexible.

Jayextee: Yep, I'm still here. Long time no see. Though I couldn't like get the Powerslave TC off the ground as I thought I could, I did successfully port Set from Exhumed into Doom using EDGE DDF, and he even has his jumping as well (though jumps very far :\ ) (Edit: His jump is fixed)

I'd like to play through what you at least got done from the Exhumed TC done, even if two levels are only done.

Fredrik said:

I'm flexible.

I.e. the theme completely changed about 4 times :)

boris said:

I.e. the theme completely changed about 4 times :)

I think it's more than that (!) :)

Hey Jay.. Long time no see.
Welcome back.
Just alittle FYI.. NHFl Ep II is in the works..
Remember your work in Epsiode 1?

ravage said:

Retirement is never permanent. WElcome home!

It is when you're DEAD!!!!!11111 BWAHAHAHAHAHHEKEKEK@(#&% ^_)_____^

CacodemonLeader: Woah, neat, I couldn't figure a way of getting Sett to jump properly, so I left it out, but made him quite hard in other ways, like some other enemies. Here's what status everything from the Exhumed TC is in;

Weapons;
Machete is good, bar some annoyance with the 'sheathing' sound when dying with it selected.
Pistol is almost perfect - I made it a bit faster, to make it balance well with the other weapons (So it doesn't become obsolete once the M-60 is found).
M-60 works, but goes through 3 shot animations when firing the last 1 or 2 shots (Even though only 1 or 2 are fired). It looks odd, but works well. Needs to be fixed.
Amun Bomb works fine, so long as autoaiming is turned off (Which causes a problem, see the cobra staff). It fires a set distance, though, but can be used very like the PSX/Sat version.
Flamethrower rules. It looks a little different, but works almost identically to the Saturn version.
Cobra staff is like a weak rocket launcher, it ONLY homes with autoaiming on, and only if you point at the target. What's the point in that?
Manacle of Ra is good. It works differently to every other one, being more akin to the 'after-flash' of a BFG, but this seems to fit well, and gives it (almost) the same functionality of the console versions.

Enemies;
Mites are fine, but I had to make them non-climbable, so they wouldn't do this wierd thing where they would end up stuck in the ceiling. They gib nicely.
Anubis Guards are perfect.
Mummies I made purposely a bit harder. They work like the Saturn versions, with the PSX version delay before firing, and much faster projectiles.
Pirahna are okay, but due to edge's floating behaviour, they seem to stick to the floor a bit much.
The annoying wasp things are pretty much perfect: How much do they act like lost souls, really? This was easy.
Sett is pretty much like the PC version minus jumping. I made his melee attack do 100% damage, for added danger - he _is_ a boss. I've also done something neat with his head, when he dies.

Those are the finished ones. I don't suppose I could ask of you to piece together the gfx for the Kilmaatakhan and the Kilmaat gaurds, could I? I was putting it off...

And, given that I can't make a 'burrowing' attack for the Lava Spawn, I had a cool thing plan for them that would make them immortal (Damn), but be able to burrow in the lava (Yay) by switching between two seperate variations of the enemy. I was going to make it so that a certain amount of damage would force it back into the lava anyway. This, I felt could make for an awesome way to prevent people from lurking in the one area.

I also didn't include the player sprites or any multiplayer support, although given the layouts of maps 01 and 02, they might make great DM maps.

Also in are the pots, and ammo/health orbs from the console versions -- these also work excellently, as do the exploding pots and fireball traps (FIREBALL TRAPS!!! SPOOGE!!!) -- these are used nastiliy in the latter part of map02.

I think Exhumed TC has that same "This MUST get released" quality to it as Intent2 also, thinking about it. I just need to finish all the resources/ddf. I'd love to look at the DDF for your sett. Send me what you have: Jayextee@Yahoo.com

Anywho, given that my floppy drive is bust (See, I need to transport the stuff to a local library where I use the 'net), and I'm broke, It'll be a while before I can send you my shit (I need CDRs).

Oh yeah, and on another note, I wrote some music for it (All new stuff). Now let me tell you, I don't find writing egyptian styled music to be the easiest thing in the world, and in lieu of this, I think I've done a great job.

ALeaver: I remember my okayish attempt at an E1M3 remake, yeah... if I get the mapping bug back after all this, I may do another map, but not a remake ;)

Fredrik: Make me some maps for Intent2, then we can pool our texturing/music/map skills for Pain afterward. Only, let's make it in the Intent vein, yeah? :D

And as for you being flexible, I can tell you get that from your mom :D

*Ahem* that's not like me at all...

Anywho, ciao for now, from your favourite freak in a niche,
Jay

Will do. Piecing the graphics together is a piece of cake for me. It seems really strange that the technique Lobotomy used for graphics hasn't been used in any other Sprite-based FPSes to date :\

Fredrik: Make me some maps for Intent2, then we can pool our texturing/music/map skills for Pain afterward. Only, let's make it in the Intent vein, yeah? :D

Whatever, but get on IRC then. I hate trying to do constructive stuff by emale.

Fredrik: Given the fact that I cannae get on the same computer each time I'm here in the library, I'd need to dl mIRC like, EVERY time I wanna use it. But, I suppose I can do that. It's not too hard to set up EVERY TIME ;)

Why the hatred of e-mail, anyway? It's the lack of spontanaety (sp?) isn't it?

Anywho, what's the (current) status of Pain?

Why the hatred of e-mail, anyway? It's the lack of spontanaety (sp?) isn't it?

Yes, and it's slow.

Anywho, what's the (current) status of Pain?

One 99% finished level (and no, it's not a MAP01 ;), a bunch (5 or so) drafts. Two finished levels thrown in the garbage can. Four or so finished music tracks.