Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Karthik Updates

Karthik Abhiram has let me know of some stuff he has added to his site Karthik82.com. This stuff includes a small level release called Simpler which demonstrates an editing trick found out by him. He's also added five new Wad reviews, including his brother Varun's Short and Quick and its sequel, Chris Hansen's Helpyourselfish, Doom_Dude's Underhalls Remake, and BargeSaldy's Waste Treatment Center #911.

That voodoo player trick is old(however using the 666 tag is a clever addition)... but for bonus points, can you name what the first wad was that used it?

Opulent said:

That voodoo player trick is old(however using the 666 tag is a clever addition)... but for bonus points, can you name what the first wad was that used it?

I know that the voodoo trick has been used before. I remember stepping off a cliff in Chris Hansen's Ritesmit.wad only to get telefragged :)

Anyway there was a discussion sometime back on the Forums where it was mentioned that there's a level in Plutonia where the voodoo doll is used to give weapons to the player. That's what inspired this WAD I made.

Sadly it doesn't work in the current version of Legacy. That's why I didn't use it in a real level.

What WAS the first WAD that used the trick? And for what (telefragging, giving items)?

"BargeSaldy" = a "Bloodshedderism"?

The first time I've seen the voodoo player trick used was in Hell Revealed, the map with the pain elemental at the beginning.

Caesar.wad uses voodoo dolls in abundance, though they are not used to pick anything up. That wad is from July 1995.

Plutonia indeed featured voodoo dolls that collected weapons for the player, and Evilution used them to kill the player in map30 (June 1996).

I'm sure these were far from being the first though.

[edit]The earliest in the archives appears to be Fragland (Feb 1995), and the author credits the discovery to Eduprey (Eric Duprey).[/edit]