Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
netnomad312

Linking for multiplayer

I've never played multiplayer Doom before and have no experience in playing a multiplayer game. But there's a chance for me to, in a couple of weeks (June 7). I've discussed this possibility with my friends and they're up for it. Now, one of them said that he had this USB cable we could use to link... but I don't know if, or how, that's possible. We're going to use ZDoom. How can I set this up?

Your first step in any network is getting connectivity. Once you can 'see' each other on the network(ping/share files/etc...), then you should be able to configure Zdoom to multiplayer.
if you're inexperienced, try using a game that assists this process like UT, Quake1/2/3, etc... first before you move to DOOM.

Zdaemon is the best MP port for playing Doom. Easy to set up and everything.

That's all well and good, but I don't want to get any more programs right now. And I don't have UT or any Quake.

"Getting connectivity" is my problem. I'll have these USB cables. How to I get the OS (windows) to use them (to share files and whatever)?

netnomad312 said:

I've never played multiplayer Doom before and have no experience in playing a multiplayer game. But there's a chance for me to, in a couple of weeks (June 7). I've discussed this possibility with my friends and they're up for it. Now, one of them said that he had this USB cable we could use to link... but I don't know if, or how, that's possible. We're going to use ZDoom. How can I set this up?

Try this for info http://www.homepcnetwork.com/

Hmm... doesn't seem to have an answer to my question. I should mention that we'll ALL be using laptops. Taking this into account, the closest thing on the pull-down menu I found is "connecting a PC to a laptop." Said something about PC cards.

But I figure there's a way to make windows recognize another computer through USB port linking... isn't there?

Im not sure what OS you intent to use, but I believe XP has something for USB networks (I never really worked with XP so can be wrong). But if you're all going to use USB, you'll probably all need XP for that feature.

(dont laptops have built-in network cards, or PCMCIA?)

Nah, I have a USB LAN cable connecting my two computers, and they both have Win98SE. Doom's about the only thing that works properly with the cable though - most games break the LAN connection when I load them - it's shit.

MaTT [TiK] said:
Nah, I have a USB LAN cable connecting my two computers, and they both have Win98SE. Doom's about the only thing that works properly with the cable though - most games break the LAN connection when I load them - it's shit.

Tell me about it please. Did you have to set anything up to get Windows to recognize the other computer? Did you actually have to create a network (because I really don't want to do that)?

And I'd still need what commands you use to get ZDoom to do multiplayer (since it seems not to have a readme file).

netnomad312 said:

And I'd still need what commands you use to get ZDoom to do multiplayer (since it seems not to have a readme file).

howto

netnomad312 said:

Tell me about it please. Did you have to set anything up to get Windows to recognize the other computer? Did you actually have to create a network (because I really don't want to do that)?

Just a single cable, no LAN card required. All you need to do is plug it in and install the drivers on the two computers you are connecting, and it works. Takes about five minutes at the most.

It cost me £30, but I wish I'd just stuck to using my serial cable and the Direct Cable Connection program that comes with Windows, cos this cable is no faster and has very few advantages. I think it works for Doom, but when I was going through my Half-Life mod phase, I kept trying to get it to work for Counter-Strike and Vampire Slayer, but it won't because when I load the Half-Life engine, the drivers for the cable just shut down, and the LAN doesn't register until I reboot.

edit: Oh, and I think it works with Unreal Tournament as well.

MaTT [TiK] said:

edit: Oh, and I think it works with Unreal Tournament as well.

And you think that's a plus because...? :P