Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coopersville

Former Human

I always figured it was the future equivalent of the M-16, and it took the same size ammo as your pistol.

Its the magical gun that from afar looks like a giant action-pumping gun, but from first person view looks like a pistol! And fires like one too!

Most part of that gun it the ammo container. Ever noticed that those guys never run out of ammo?

Its a 9mm rifle, which they have because in that time there is more or less world peace so they dont need very powerful guns, and armies are kept more for tradtional and ceremonial stuff, and to back up the police incase of major criminal..things, thats what i thought of anyway XD, it also explains why the doomguy never picks up the rifles, theyre only the same power as the pistol (though the doomguy's sprite is holding a rifle XD)

It's an assault rifle and he only fires it in single-shot mode because he's too stupid to turn on full-auto mode.

Oh yes, and the marine doesn't want to pick up the assault rifle because he's too stupid as well and because he likes the chaingun better than a stupid little assault rifle.

Little Faith said:

It is a crap rifle that is so easy to manufacture that even zombies and imps can handle it.

Whoa, imps? You must've found some super-duper secret level that I never even heard of where imps use assault rifles.
Can you tell me where to find it???
;-)

It's an all-purpose gun like Doomguy has. The marines just always keep it on pistol.

It's a carbine, like the police use, that takes normal pistol ammo and gives it a longer barrel to work with.

Didn't you ever play the Alphas???!!! In the original Alphas, the Doom guy used a rifle, and he bayonetted instead of punched, as well. For some reason, it was changed to the pistol, but they didn't feel like redrawing the zombie, I guess.

And if you believe the Doom books, it's a 10mm M-211 Semiautomatic Gas-Operated Infantry Combat Weapon, or Sig-Cow. Damn, Knee-Deep in the Dead was good. Shame the rest of the series sucked so badly. Damn shame. I think I'll read it again . . .

dsm said:

Whoa, imps? You must've found some super-duper secret level that I never even heard of where imps use assault rifles.
Can you tell me where to find it???
;-)

I didn't say they could USE them. I only said they could construct them. :P

Creating sprites is a LOT of work (not especially hard, just tedious) so I'm not sure.

No doubt there. I'm modifyin' the Baron of Hell right now--I'll let you all know if it turns out good.

3d modelling is way harder than sprites, i'll give you that much.

btw nightmare, what editor did you use for those zdoom levels? zeth?

It looks like some kinda bullpup type thing..

And, stupidity seems like a valid reason for the zombies to only fire in single shot. They're a good aim, though. lol, isn't it a coincidence how there are only 5 bullets left in the gun every time they die?

I always just assumed it was single shot patrol rifle. There are an awful lot in existance and it would make sense for a regular UAC patrol officer to carry a single shot rifle.

It is, however, unusual for soldiers to carry shotguns, especially long carbine models as opposed to sawn-offs. I'm glad Doomguy has one though :)

BlueSonnet said:

3d modelling is way harder than sprites, i'll give you that much.

Though I'm not into modelling, I'd have to disagree with you there. For sprites, you have to draw every single frame, and worry about perspective.

About the zombie thing here's my theory.

I generally reckon that they through in a rifle for the zombieman to make it have more of an impact. Obviously in game like say, Counter strike you're not necessarily gonna be more scared if an attacker is favouring a tiny pistol to a fat assault rifle. It's also worth taking into account that the zombieman is a cannibalistic undead beast with an insatiable desire for brains. That's quite an impression alone and putting a rifle in his hands kinda demonstrates it's ferociousness. If you're gonna give him a pistol you may as well give him pink bunny slippers to because he doesn't look so scary with a small, non-menacing-looking pistol. If it had an Axe or bloody bladed weapon then yeah but with a pistol? Oh no.

I mean we can compare a wolfenstein3d guard to the zombieman. That lil dude looks puny in comparison to the zombieman.

Also, when playing Multiplayer on Doom, you cant tell what weopon your enemy has. Their weapon always looks the same. Even the BFG 9000 looks like a rifle.

I think id was more concerned about finishing the engine and making it awesome instead of little continuities.