Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Five years from now...

So, in five years' time, what do you think will happen to Doom and Doom2? This is a question that has been nagging at the back of my mind for some time, and I felt like I had to ask it.

I'll probably still be playing it from time to time. DOOM is like Tetris or chess, it'll never grow old.

most likely it will still be around, the community might be a tad smaller though.

Doom will never die! I'm still playing it after 9 years, something I cannot say of most game that came after it.

5 years?

The community will be getting very excited because some new information leading us to assume Mordeth/ Millennium/ Daedalus/insertwhackylongdevelopmenttimeprojectnamehere is going to be released soon.

Of course, the information will turn out to be a false hope. :-)

Five years? I'd beter be teaching Elementary School by then, I'll be pissed if I'm still in school.

DooM? If people still play it 10 years afer it came out, I'm sure people will still play it after 15.

Doom's gameplay is not often found in more modern games and with the launch of doom3, alot of new people will discover this kind of gameplay. Maybe more important is it's viruslike omnipresence on all kind of systems and devices and since source is available that won't change. Another forte of the game is it's history and heritage, btw, doom has the most ( and most diverse) "levels" of all fps. In fact it is the biggest fps at the moment. That would mean't much, but doom is a good game, alot of firsttimers stick to it, due to it's own game quality.
Also there's of course the world. There're 580.78 million internet users and 5.2 billions of people. I counted that last year. Considering population growth and (old to very old )pc's becoming more widespread,....anything will happen.

...with the last Half-Lifer, who will also perish...

...also along with the last Quaker, who will suffer severe head trauma from too many frags and die on his way to the hospital.

What'll happen to Doom I&II almost rests on the shoulders of Doom 3. If D3 turns out perfect and satisfies every Doom fan, the originals may be able to R.I.P. For the PC, anyway.

Coopersville said:

What'll happen to Doom I&II almost rests on the shoulders of Doom 3. If D3 turns out perfect and satisfies every Doom fan, the originals may be able to R.I.P. For the PC, anyway.

No chance in hell that will happen. We love our Doom too much! Even if Doom3 turns out to be the perfect game I will never give up playing the one and only original, the best game ever developed.

IMHO Doom 3 will have about as much impact on damaging the Doom community as RTCW had on the Wolf 3D community (i.e. virtually none at all).

I hope I'll still play from time to time, and keep up with the folks I've met through Doom.

I'm pretty sure this is the first and last game that will have this much of an impact on me in my life.

I imagine that in about 5 years time, I'll be retrieved from some ditch in Tacoma by the coroner's office and labeled Jon Doe #41245, and probably wont be caring about the Doom community at that time.

I wonder how people would have responded if you'd asked this question back in 1998? I think most people would have said the community would be dead by now, but its still here. Having said that, I doubt that Doomworld will be around in 2008, except as a straight Doom 3 (or 4?) site.

I hope that even if the community no longer exists people set up history and archive sites about Doom though. There's been 10 years of playing, editing and coding, and it would be a shame for it all to slowly disapear into the void.

It all depends on whether or not we pass on our love of Doom to the little chilluns. We gotta give it to 'em at around 5. It will permanently be fused into their brains.

How is Daedalus coming along, by the way? Wasn't it supposed to be released in a month a few months ago?

Ultraviolet said:

The WHAT?

Yep, there is one. There's even a couple of Wolf 3D source ports being worked on ;)

NiGHTMARE said:

IMHO Doom 3 will have about as much impact on damaging the Doom community as RTCW had on the Wolf 3D community (i.e. virtually none at all).

i hope you're right

In five years....
Fredrik will be the new Adrian Carmack.
AndrewB will be a lawyer.
And Railgunner will still be banned.
:D

I'll be 26 and still playing. But the community will probably be gone. Except for a few who will still be waiting for Millenium.

Other prophecies:

Nanami will have a litter of Pritch pups.
DA will develop magical hobbit powers.
Ralphis will occasionally send emails to old DW members to let them know that he's leaving, again.

Assmaster said:

DA will develop magical hobbit powers.

And Im gunna Copyright ":D" so Ill get a nickle everytime someone uses it. :D©

Linguica said:

If I'm still hanging around in five years I want you to shoot me.

Dibs.

DC

Jonathan said:
Having said that, I doubt that Doomworld will be around in 2008, except as a straight Doom 3 (or 4?) site.

It may not be Doomworld, but I bet there'll be an equivalent site at least.

Linguica said:
If I'm still hanging around in five years I want you to shoot me.

You know chances are you'll still be around, don't you?