Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pritch

A few Legacy things

OK so I owe Legacy a few apologies. It's not as bad as I used to think it was. I've managed to get it working to the point where it's almost my port of choice, because of the OpenGL. But a few things are narking me.

Where can I turn off rocket trails? I hate rocket trails.

I've somehow screwed up the binding of the automap, because idiotically there's no option to enter a new button for it in the controls menu. Unbind is not a recognised command. How can I unbind it and put it back to tab?

I am using Legacy mostly for coop. Options like 'keep keys' and 'spawn furthest' seem to be missing, which is lame. Do the flags still work?

Can I load a savegame whilst running a server with others inside (assuming we've all got the same wadfiles etc.)? Or can they quit then join once I've loaded it?

Can I scale the messages in high-res? I can barely read them at 1024x768. The nearest character is getting chopped off in OpenGL too.

Also I don't know if this is an OpenGL thing in general, but I can't switch windows if I use OpenGL, which means I can't suddenly break away to IRC or something whilst running a server. Can anything be done about that?

Thanks.

pritch said:

Replace the smoke trail sprites in Legacy's WAD (or a PWAD) with transparent ones (cyan, usually.)

I've somehow screwed up the binding of the automap, because idiotically there's no option to enter a new button for it in the controls menu. Unbind is not a recognised command. How can I unbind it and put it back to tab?

Hmm... I don't see an entry for the automap on the CFG. If you see one on yours, just delete it there. But I think there's binding and unbining capabilities, or at least you can re-bind the keys as you wish.

pritch said:

Also I don't know if this is an OpenGL thing in general, but I can't switch windows if I use OpenGL, which means I can't suddenly break away to IRC or something whilst running a server. Can anything be done about that?

That bugs me too. :(
But I haven't played legacy (eggsept for Sonic Robo Blast 2) since I got XP seeming its Iron Chef choppy. :D

myk said:

Replace the smoke trail sprites in Legacy's WAD (or a PWAD) with transparent ones (cyan, usually.)

Isn't there some even more complicated way?

boris said:

Isn't there some even more complicated way?

There always is... :P
That just made me think, if you can change them like that, you could make them the colours of the rainbow. :D

Nope, can't just turn 'em off as of right now but you will be able to soon (maybe). :p They're also being worked on so they're not so mediocre.

Woah, I've never heard of anyone doing that before. Like Myk said look around in config.cfg and see if it's listed there. Well I guess it must be, but then again I've never heard of that problem before.

I am using Legacy mostly for coop. Options like 'keep keys' and 'spawn furthest' seem to be missing, which is lame. Do the flags still work?

I haven't played much Co-op but I'll ask the coders about that. They're hard at work on the C++ uber-engine (hexen support will soon be complete, I'm going to try it out tonight. Yay!) so any stuff liek this that has to be done might take a while.

Can I load a savegame whilst running a server with others inside (assuming we've all got the same wadfiles etc.)? Or can they quit then join once I've loaded it?

I'm not sure if you can load a savegame with players already in the game but I know for sure that players can join into a game at any time during that game.

Can I scale the messages in high-res? I can barely read them at 1024x768. The nearest character is getting chopped off in OpenGL too.

That stuff is on the To Do list. Heh, I know that doesn't help you now....

AFAIK you can't do that right now (unless there's a trick out there I don't know) but I imagine that'll get coded in for Legacy 2.

The rocket trails in legacy should hang in the air longer i think, in the wad im working on ive used the same graphics but they leave a trail of black smoke that hangs in the air for a while, its fun when using homing rockets XD

It's good to hear a few of those things are being worked on. Legacy already has very good visual option menu support, looking towards Zdaemon's clued-up dmflags menu would be a step in the right direction. After all, Legacy is the port of choice for coop right now because zdaemon lags horribly woth coop.

Yeah I've already made new rocket trails that have better sprites and they don't rise at all and it looks much better IMO. More like the Q3 ones...

The new C++ version of Legacy will have much improved netcode and will be extremely adaptable via .dll's so hopefully we'll be able to add all kinds of killer stuff for online play.

As me and the guys coop I think I'm gonna write a little list of things that would help, are better in zdaemon etc. I'm sure you'll be aware of most of them already, but would you like me to tell you anyways? Sometimes it takes a heated game to make you realise the little things that are needed :P

I noticed when playing coop with 5 people, player 5 always spawned at a DM start. I guess this makes sense but one time they started in the exit room and such. Kind of lame. O_o Anything that can be done about that? Maybe spawn them at one of the normal player starts?

Oh and when two players spawn in the same spot they just get stuck together... Make one be telefragged or something. Being stuck together isn't really very cool, heh.

Pritch:

Absolutely, we're always open to ideas from users. Write 'em up and email 'em to us or use the feature request form on the website http://legacy.newdoom.com. We're very open to feature requests and ideas of any kind, that's kind of why the engine is being re-coded in C++. The team decided that it'd be easier to go that route so that we can have things like MD3 models and PK3 style compressed distribution files.

Nanami:

I noticed when playing coop with 5 people, player 5 always spawned at a DM start. I guess this makes sense but one time they started in the exit room and such. Kind of lame. O_o Anything that can be done about that? Maybe spawn them at one of the normal player starts?

If we do that then two players will be stuck together. :p Does any other port have a work around for this? Perhaps the engine could check for the presence of a play on the spot and wait till it's clear before spawning a player? I'll run it past the coders see if they have any ideas.

Oh and when two players spawn in the same spot they just get stuck together... Make one be telefragged or something. Being stuck together isn't really very cool, heh.

Yeah that'll be fixed for Legacy2, maybe I can even get them to fix that for the upcoming release of 1.41... can't promise anything though.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with legacy or whatnot, but for some reason when I try to run legacy (or Jdoom and I think any other OpenGL using Dee-Lee) The game is reeeeeeaaally choopy, like choptastic. This started once I got XP, but I'm not sure where the problem lies or where/how to remedy it. Can anyone give me a hands up to make it a nice smoothie? Thanks. :D

DOOM Anomaly said:

I'm not sure if this is a problem with legacy or whatnot, but for some reason when I try to run legacy (or Jdoom and I think any other OpenGL using Dee-Lee) The game is reeeeeeaaally choopy, like choptastic. This started once I got XP, but I'm not sure where the problem lies or where/how to remedy it. Can anyone give me a hands up to make it a nice smoothie? Thanks. :D

This is most likely a graphics driver issue. It sounds like OpenGL is running in software mode. So the first thing you should try is updating yor drivers.

Rellik said:

If we do that then two players will be stuck together. :p Does any other port have a work around for this? Perhaps the engine could check for the presence of a play on the spot and wait till it's clear before spawning a player? I'll run it past the coders see if they have any ideas.

If they telefrag eachother at least they won't get stuck together, heh. Also you could wait a moment before putting player 5 in or something... like you said, check to make sure nobody's there.

Anyway, putting them at a DM start is usually bad because that can put them past key doors, past puzzles, and into rooms of monsters. You never know what's going to happen.

The telefrag thing would be fine, that's how Quake I handles 4+ coop players. You just gotta get the hell out of the way when you spawn.

OK I'm compiling a Legacy wish list. It's already 10 points and one full page long. Hoorj!

Does your list include voodoo dolls, the lost-soul limit and the Arch-Vile bug?

Grazza said:

Does your list include voodoo dolls, the lost-soul limit and the Arch-Vile bug?

Those are so well-known I'm not including them. They should be fixed heh.

Graf Zahl said:

This is most likely a graphics driver issue. It sounds like OpenGL is running in software mode. So the first thing you should try is updating yor drivers.

May I ask as to how I may do that? :D

Depends on what your video card is. For example, I have a Voodoo3, so therefore I'd do a Google on Voodoo3 drivers.

Just how in god's name do you load a deh as well as a pwad with Legacy? The launcher's selector result isn't recognised by the exe, and I can't seem to get it work from the command line..

???

Click on +, choose the wad click on + again, choose the deh...works for me

Or insert the deh into the wad as a data lump named DEHACKED

to a degree you can even load them right in the game using the addfile console command. Just remember that loading a patch with the cosole adds the info, it doesn't restore the old info first. That reminds me I have to talk to Exl about getting Whacked to output the entire dehacked file so that everything is loaded. Then you could in theory have a different dehacked patch for every level.

DarkWolf said:

You can load it with the -file parameter with the needed pwads.

Read what I said. It doesn't work. And deathbringer, read what I said also. The launcher doesn't do it, if I select the file with the ... button it puts " around the wad name, and then tries to load "~.wad with the error "Wadfile not found"

And why in the hell should I bother to make a dehacked lump every time I want to play a pwad? It's a hell of a sourceport if you have to do that

The launcher and command-line methods should both work fine. I've never had any problems loading mutliple wads and dehs from the Legacy Launcher, so I don't know what the problem might be.

Got it to work with +addfile, but as I expected most dehs crash with segment violations most of the time, my second most common Legacy crash :P

It must be on your end. I've rarely had a dehacked patch crash Legacy. The launcher has its bugs, but I've never heard of anyone else having a problem with the commandline.