Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Igor9

What happened to Sandy Peterson?

Was reading Doomworld's page of DOOM and noticed that most of the original DOOM's levels were made by Sandy Peterson. Whatever happened to him?

Heh, Paul Jacquays is there too. Perhaps he's Petersen's stalker...? ;)

Hmm, isn't this one of the many games companies Iikka Keranen has worked for? Weird that they'd hire one of the best level designers ever and then one of the worst =P

Speaking of Iikka, I wonder if the "Kurse of Keranen" will strike again with Ensemble and his current company, Digital Eel. If you don't know what I'm talking about, nearly all companies he's worked at have (co-incidentally of course) either gone bust or gotten into serious financial trouble - i.e. Looking Glass Studios, Ion Storm Dallas and Rogue Entertainment :)

Finallly, I also noticed Ensemble have a Marcin Szymanski working for them. I wonder if he's any relation to the Szymanski who posts on these forums... :)

AndrewB said:

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRD!

Sorry.

rofl, talk about pot calling the kettle black

Though it should be said that E1M4, E2M2, E2M4, E2M7, E3M3 and map10 are not really Sandy Petersen's creations but Tom Hall's.

Little Faith said:

Though it should be said that E1M4, E2M2, E2M4, E2M7, E3M3 and map10 are not really Sandy Petersen's creations but Tom Hall's.

you're forgetting E3M7. and map10 was probably more sandy petersen than tom hall. i think the maps sandy petersen did all by himself were pretty meh.

Igor9 said:

rofl

Map10 is probably the map that was least changed from the alpha to the final version.

I guess Tom had bigger plans for it detail-wise, but it got scrapped along the way.

In Doom 2 Sandy couldn't be arsed to increase the detail and just put in some Doom 2 textures and monsters here and there.

Heh the first thing I thought of too when I saw the pic of Sandy was the Doom 3 fatso.

Epyo said:

I thought he was a she

I thought that too. And then people called me dumb.

Oh well. =P

You have to wonder about his parents, who would give an obviously feminine name to a boy, or vise-versa.

Sandy is a male name as well, my grandfather's name is Santino (it's Italian) which can (and is) be shortened to Sandy (it's what everyone calls him in fact) and one of my cousins is named Sandy after him (not Santino, just Sandy). It's actually pretty funny too, because I also have an aunt (on the same side of the family no less) named Sandra, and everyone calls her Sandy too. There's also three people named James, though they're called Jamie, Jim and James so it's not as bad, but still it's goddamn confusing around the holidays sometimes

Still, generally it's used as a female name, at least in the US. I do remember some kid named Sand, which was also rather strange.

What strikes me as rather odd are guys named Jan.

Ichor said:

Still, generally it's used as a female name, at least in the US. I do remember some kid named Sand, which was also rather strange.

i dunno, i never thought of it as a female name. always seemed tossup to me.

DooMBoy said:

What strikes me as rather odd are guys named Jan.

That's a scandanavian name.

I believe the name Sandy is Scottish in origin.

Fredrik said:

Heh the first thing I thought of too when I saw the pic of Sandy was the Doom 3 fatso.

Hmm, so it seems Carmack and Petersen are both making cameos in the game :) I wonder any of the other (ex-)iders will appear... ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have an old El Oscuro or even Dopefish graphic somewhere as some kind of super secret.

Ichor said:

Sand is a danish surname. Ebbe Sand, the world's greatest person ever!

Nanami said:

I've met a guy named Kelly before.

yeah that's irish