Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lost Soul

Doom PC doesn't like me..

I got a question about this game. There is a large re-occouring error, and I think it's the system. Cause both Doom and Doom 2 work fine on anyone elses comp.. but not mine. Every time I try to get either game going, it just starts.. and before the game will fully start, I get this message
"Game mode indeterminate."
WTF is this, and how do I fix it?

Do you have doom.wad or doom2.wad in the directory? If it still doesn't work but the directories are still there then COPY THE DOOM EXE FROM YOUR CD ONTO THE DIRECTORY.

Everything is there though.. For both Doom and Doom 2. The WADs, the .exe files, it's all there. It still doesn't co-operate.
I would think that the games would completely install when you put them there!
These aren't burned, or pirated games. I've re-installed these both about 6 times each.
and still no dice. This is why I stick to consoles dammit! These games, like I said, will work fine if they go on another comp..

Okay, I just got ZDoom. I can at least get in the games now.. but I stil see no point! The instant I kill something, the game crashes! I don't understand.. I don;t want to get Legacy, I hear there are a LOT of annoying bugs in there. And I doubt my system will take JDoom. It's only a 133, with no video card. Any other suggestions?

A frickin' 133 mhz ?????????? wtf ?

Get a new computer chum ! I have a 500 mhz and that's considered pretty low !

I got a question about this game. (...)I get this message
"Game mode indeterminate."

You either do not have the main Doom IWAD in the same directory as your exe file when you start Doom, OR you have more than one IWAD in that directory. For example, do not put the Doom2.wad and Doom.wad in the same directory.

What? Mordeth, how come your postcount says -12?

He's the prison guard in charge of beating down all insurrections from regular negative post count weenies on probation.

are u useing plain old doom engine if so. How many times do we have to say GET A NEW PORT!!! also if u are and u own windowsME THAT IS NOT DOS!!! get your self zdoom or at least boom. they have so many advantages and gug fixes over plain doom

gug fixes

What's a gug fix? It sounds cool. ;)

Anyways, if you MUST run it in dos, and have Windows ME, download 4dos. It beats dos, and Windows ME doesn't screw it up.

Anyways, if you MUST run it in dos, and have Windows ME, download 4dos. It beats dos, and Windows ME doesn't screw it up.

Bah. If you have Windows ME, burn your hard drive and buy a new one - the old one may never fully recover :|

What are the exact specifications of your machine?

Here's the basics.
P 133mhz
4 gig hard drive, with 2 gigs current free space.
24x CD drive.
no video card to speak of
currently running under windows 98

How are you seeing anything if there's no video card?

On-board video.

Well, the only time I ever saw the game mode indeterminate error was when I was attempting to run a wad along with a deh file, but I don't remember what I did to cause the error.

What? Mordeth, how come your postcount says -12?

Because that's how many posts he has.