Metallica's new album?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Metallica's new album?

• Good
    • Bad
    • Neutral
    • I have yet to hear it

Has anybody gotten or heard the album yet? I just bought it today. My thoughts:

It's a really different sound for the band. The songs are more based on rhythm rather than lead. In other words, no solos. The single (also the name of the album) is, IMO, the worst Metallica song to date. It seems like they are trying to emulate "nu-metal", but it just sounds like [AndrewB]s___[/AndrewB]. However, the most of the other songs are fresh-sounding... the band aren't imitating their old stuff like on Re-Load. My only major twitch with the album is the production. The snare drum has a really mid-range twangy sound, and it often detracts from the guitar work.

[edit]
I've listened it over again, and I have decided to change my rating to a 7/10.

I'm seriously disapointed with this album.

It's not all bad shit, but I expected more.

:(

Metallica never really impressed me much, and I downright hate Lars because he's a bitchy little girl. However, they weren't terrible. They had a decent sound that I could live with, and was fun at times to hear on the radio. But now, it seems to me like they're trying to keep up with the times and have chosen to imitate bad bands like Limp Bizkit and pretty good bands like SOAD. St. Anger just wasn't good, and I think Metallica will lose a good chunk of its older fans with it. But, that's just my opinion.

i havent heard it yet, however im still hopeful with kazaa. ah what the hell im goin to buy it tomorrow :/

My brother is obsessed with Metallica... I don't understand why at all. I really don't like the band at all, and it's hard for me to even respect them at this point. But that's just my opinion.

Metallica is great, I haven't heard this last album yet though.

Ultraviolet said:

Hey, Dan, you know who sucks?

Does the name start with an M?

The first track sounds like they're trying to be System Of A Down and Queens Of The Stone Age, but really bad versions of them. The next track sounds like they're adding Fear Factory in to the mix, but making it sound worse than the first track. And it just keeps on going downhill. Avoid.

Only heard the single so far. You've got some drumming loop that sounds like a shitty attempt at a Fear Factory cover, then there's a weak guitar line, then something that just sounds like noise, all the time Hetfield singing like someone just punched him in the gut. "I am St. Anger." Ooo.

But the whole album might be okay.

This ol lay-backer don't buy no CDs, unless they contain games on them. :D

Edit: The only Metallica song I ever liked was "One", which I heard when Macvile Whore Sent it to me a few months ago.

I've yet to hear it, but from what I've heard it's one of those things you gotta listen to multiple times before getting into it. For instance, I hated Load when I first got it, and so I didn't listen to it for ages. Then I decided one day to give it a go, and, after listening to it a couple of times all through I began to like it. And now it's my favourite Metallica album by far ;) (Well, AJFA is pretty damn close too).

The same thing happened with the track St Anger, at first I didn't like it, but it's growing on me...

Ryback said:

all the time Hetfield singing like someone just punched him in the gut

Yeah, you're right. Eighties Metallica was pretty cool (Master of Puppets is still a fucking great album), and Nineties Metallica was only saved by Hetfield's cool vocals. But now it seems like both the musical inspiration and the voice has goine. So, fuck it. Metallica's dead and buried as far as I'm concerned.

Meh, St. Anger. Where's the solos? Where's the decent lyrics? I'm a fan of older Metallica (I haven't actually heard Load or Re-Load) so I was thinking, this might be cool. But aside from the title track (which I like, it's pretty cool), the rest of the album is pretty average to below-average for me. My favourite Metallica album (and one of my favourite ever albums) is S&M, especially Master of Puppets (teh best solo EVAR). So I'm pretty disappointed in St. Anger.

Hmmm, well, I heard St. Anger on the radio last night, and I was kinda like "Wow, this is so.....dead average." The drumwork for this song was impressive though IMO.

Lord FlatHead said:

Yeah, you're right. Eighties Metallica was pretty cool (Master of Puppets is still a fucking great album), and Nineties Metallica was only saved by Hetfield's cool vocals. But now it seems like both the musical inspiration and the voice has goine. So, fuck it. Metallica's dead and buried as far as I'm concerned.

it is true...

fraggle said:

heh (showing the big guy in Metallica T-shirt)

WTF!!!???

He reminds me the fat guy out Fat Boy Slim video "Right Here, Right Now"... and that is realy bad imwo...

DooMBoy said:

That "fat guy" is Josh Hicks, aka deadnail.

OMG!!!

\me trying to find my eyeballs

DooMBoy said:

That "fat guy" is Josh Hicks, aka deadnail.

That's not deadnail, that's Årrøgañt ßâ§-tãrÐ, as the picture caption clearly states.

Needs more impsex.

Actually no. That album is flat out terrible. I liked the first 20 seconds of the first song, then it was steeply downhill all the way.

I agree with Flathead, (Although my favourite metallica album is '...And Justice For All') Metallica are dead.

fraggle said:

Dude, that guy is even fatter than me.

And WTF...that doesn't look anything like deadnail. Deadnail is a hairy steelworker.

AirRaid said:

Needs more impsex.

STFU ABOUT THE FUCKNIG IMP SEX ALREADY!!!! GGGGGAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I think that James has lost his voice... it seems like he's lost the 'beefiness' that he once had.

I'm really starting to not like this new album. My original rating in the first post is going down quickly.

Heh I agree, his voice sounded different in the song they played on the rad'o last night.