Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rubilacxe

Sound for old DOS games

Hey y'all

I know this isn't like DOOM related, but my brother and I are feeling a little nostalgic and would really like to play old school Duke 3D, Blood, or Shadow Warrior deathmatch. Problem is, we have a fairly new Dell computer with Window's XP and the sound doesn't work in DOS.

Does anyone know how to get it to work or where I could find some utility to make it work?

Thanks.

I can't get sound out of any of my DOS games either, and I'm on win98se.cx. THe PC speakers work, but they are very lound and can't be turned off. So yeah...sound wont work on DN3D, Commander Keen, Rise of the Triad, or Raptor: Call of the Shadows...all good games, put sadly unplayable now.

Dan, based on your soundcard you prolly just need to initialize the driver in config.sys and give the card an IRQ and DMA channel in autoexec.bat. Worked for my 98 machine.

sorry, but dos games and winXP dont mix!!!

here are your ONLY soulutions. downgrade to atleast win98, use another OS.
make a partion and install dos on it, and with a bit of luck find drivers for DOS

build an old system, cost about $30 for all the parts or for a older system (i have a 120Mhz 486DX4 with 32MB ram and an SBawe64 card for old games)

winXP may play some DOS games but its DOS sound is only sb-8 bit. for the most part DOS games dont work with windowsXP

unless someone writes a good DOS emulator for winXP then u are stuck

Doom on XP? hey its in the FAQ your are stuck with a port http://zdoom.notgod.com [zdoom] downlaod if u want to play doom on xp

'nuff said.

If you're using something like an Audigy, getting sound in DOS-based games (even using SB16 emulation) is often nearly impossible.

The new Longhorn OS is supposed to have some game platform on it, and hopefully it will include a way to play DOS games.

Sephiroth said:

sorry, but dos games and winXP dont mix!!!

Ruthless exaggeration.

I agree with AndrewB (scary!). For instance, Duke Nukem works fine (with normal sound) on my XP machine, even though Blood and Doom don't. And some people report good results with sound emulators.

Disorder said:

Rubilacxe, you're back!

hehe allow me to say

"I thought you were dead? Ripley: yeah I get that a lot" - Alien Ressurection

Use3D said:

Dan, based on your soundcard you prolly just need to initialize the driver in config.sys and give the card an IRQ and DMA channel in autoexec.bat. Worked for my 98 machine.

Heh...I have no idea how to do that. Last time I went messing with drivers, I was stuck with a 16 color screen for a week.

I dont know if there is an XP version of DOS emu. it may be just in Linux.

games i have had work in XP: duke3d, quake, wacky wheels(found on duke3d cd) and keen games(with SB-8 sound) games that worked partly, mainly sound issues, were ROTT, doom, keen games and a few others i have tried