Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Igor9

My n00bie dehacked patch for other n00bs like me :)

After reading Colin Phipp's review of 01fava.wad at
http://www.cph.demon.co.uk/doom/du/reviews/01fava.html and playing
it, I figured that some of the otherwise good old wads out there
(including the old Doom maps) were kinda underpowered, even on
Ultraviolent. I don't like the respawning in Nightmare mode and I
can't map so I did the n00bie lamer thing and made a dehacked patch
in an attempt to bring back some of that old demon fear.

You can get it at http://www.freewebs.com/igor9/doomed.deh

Here's what it does:

1. The Chaingun Captain (he got promoted) now fires faster using the
Spiderdemon's firing codepointers.

2. The Spiderdemon fires plasmaballs like the Arachnotron.

3. The Imp's, Cacodaemon's and Baron of Hell's fireballs are 5 units
faster so that the Baron's fireballs are as fast as rockets and
the Imp's and Caco's are as fast as that of the original Baron.

4. The zombie trooper now fires at semi-auto. Note that this is not
as fast as the rate of fire of the old chaingun sergeant.

5. The health of the Baron of Hell, Spiderdemon and Cyberdemon are
all doubled.

6. Cheat codes are changed to as follows:

Change music = mus
Chainsaw = chopper
God mode = god
Ammo & Keys = kfa
Ammo = fa
No Clipping 2 = clip
Invincibility = nodamage
Berserk = berserk
Invisibility = invis
Radiation Suit = suit
Auto-map = map
Lite-Amp Goggles = googles
BEHOLD menu = behold
Level Warp = warp
Player Position = mypos
Map cheat = tt

7. idfa (now just "fa") gives 100 armor instead of 200.

Hope someone likes it as much as I did.

kthxggbye.

Igor9 said:

6. Cheat codes are changed to as follows:

Just for info, Zdoom will ignore any changes to cheats via dehacked so if you play this in Zdoom 2.0.X the cheat codes will be the old ones.

Cheat code changing was disabled in Zdoom for 2 reasons - it fixed a bug that was present in Zdoom quite some time ago and most people on the Zdoom forum thought cheat code changing was a pain in the ass, and pointless given that Zdoom has console commands to get round any such changes anyway.

Erik said:

heh, make the spiderdemon fire BFG balls instead o_0

heh, no. :P

Erik said:

heh, make the spiderdemon fire BFG balls instead o_0

I think something like that would crash ZDoom.

The sort of changes described would tend to destroy whatever balance the map's gameplay might have had. I agree with UD: -fast is the way to go - it's surprising how it can transform otherwise tame maps. Or try Pacifist or Tyson mode maybe.

If you like the idea of Nightmare but it seems too rough, try -skill 1 -fast -respawn. You still get double ammo, the monsters do less damage, and you get the benefit of whatever skill-level changes the author made. Call it Nightmare Lite if you want.

Assmaster said:

I think something like that would crash ZDoom.

Nah, I've made the Cyberdemon shoot BFG blasts at the speed of a Mastermind just for fun. It works it's just retarded. And I have a .deh that replaces half the monsters with marines with various attacks, one having a BFG.

Bah, I made the Cybie shoot BFG blasts faster than a spider demon shoots x 2, and the spider shot missiles. This was DDF BTW, not DEH

This may be for Doom 2, but how about giving the Spiderdemon an Arch-Vile attack? Each chaingun 'bullet' it shoots would be equal to one of the flaming attacks of the Arch-Vile.

Grazza said:

Call it Nightmare Lite if you want.

Heh, less than one calorie per game.

Nanami said:

Nah, I've made the Cyberdemon shoot BFG blasts at the speed of a Mastermind just for fun. It works it's just retarded. And I have a .deh that replaces half the monsters with marines with various attacks, one having a BFG.

Hmm, I once made a map spot that spawned corpses with no delay. After a few seconds, ZDooM exited. I guess it's because they didnt dissipate the way bfg blasts do.

Assmaster said:

Hmm, I once made a map spot that spawned corpses with no delay. After a few seconds, ZDooM exited. I guess it's because they didnt dissipate the way bfg blasts do.

If it was a repeating script with no delay, then it would have been a runaway script.

Actually it's not that over the top.

The only things I disagree with are the doubling of the big ones' hit points. You should only have added a third.

Doubling hit points of barons and cyberdemons might make some fights drag on needlessly.

I kinda like the idea of tough Barons of Hell, they bring back to me the glory of E1M8. Also on 01fava E1M5, everything is just zombies, sergeants, imps and demons and there is only 1 Baron so doubling the hitpoints for the Baron makes that battle sort of memorable. The spiderdemon still can only take 5 BFG hits even with hitpoints doubled so meh. Spidey was always a pussy anyway :)

It's a great idea to make the spider mastermind ALOT stronger IMO. The fight was really lame, making it stronger would change alot and add some challenge to it. That would be cool if you made the Cyberdemon even stronger too.

SmellyOgre said:

It's a great idea to make the spider mastermind ALOT stronger IMO. The fight was really lame, making it stronger would change alot and add some challenge to it. That would be cool if you made the Cyberdemon even stronger too.

The Cyberdemon would be good if he could fire projectiles into the path of your player.

Is it possible to do that sort of ai adjustments with any of the source port scripts? I really wish I had the time to learn these sort of stuff. If only the source port guys would get done with whatever it is they were doing so there could be a "gold" version from which all future development could be based on. I bet the number of wads would jump once that gold version is out since people still like Doom and it seems no future game will ever recapture the actual gameplay of Doom what with Doom3 being more of a survival horror and all.

SmellyOgre said:

I think that would suck unless there were some changes to the monster behavior. Otherwise it's the same old battle, but longer.

Assmaster said:

I think that would suck unless there were some changes to the monster behavior. Otherwise it's the same old battle, but longer.

Maybe it would be better if the Cyberdemon shot plasma out of his arms, and explodes when he dies. Or maybe he could teleport. These are just some of my ideas to make the cyberdemon fight better.

I made a boss once that shot three shotgun blasts and then followed it with a rocket. Made it fun to try and dodge. Of course, he wans't immune to splash damage like the real bosses so he went down easy with rockets. He originally had a melee attack but I realized his radius was too big to make use of it.

You could always make a boss that changes his attack pattern in his pain frame.

A teleporting Cyberdemon is scary! I like the exploding on death part, I think I'll make a patch that does that.

Wrt the idea of a plasma-firing Cyberdemon, I think plasma isn't really as good as rockets for making a player crap his pants :) Id had it right with giving the Cyberdemon rockets. Also, I think rockets are just about the max you can give a monster in Doom. BFG is overkill, I think. Also, giving any other non-boss monsters rockets is crazy cause they'll just end up killing themselves or on levels like Gauntlet, you'll die really fast due to all the cross-fires going on.

I'm toying with the idea of a teleporting Spiderdemon. The problem with Spidey is she's really slow and it's easy to nail her with big weapons like the BFG. Imagine E3M8 with a teleporting Spiderdemon...hehehe.

More on the above idea. Cyberdemon dishes out rockets, takes a lot of shots to kill and basically is intended to "shock and awe". Spiderdemon teleports around, rips you up with the auto-shotgun and basically gives you a hard time. I like it, now if I can just figure out how to make him teleport :(.

Igor9 said:

A teleporting Cyberdemon is scary! I like the exploding on death part, I think I'll make a patch that does that.

Wrt the idea of a plasma-firing Cyberdemon, I think plasma isn't really as good as rockets for making a player crap his pants :) Id had it right with giving the Cyberdemon rockets. Also, I think rockets are just about the max you can give a monster in Doom. BFG is overkill, I think. Also, giving any other non-boss monsters rockets is crazy cause they'll just end up killing themselves or on levels like Gauntlet, you'll die really fast due to all the cross-fires going on.

I'm toying with the idea of a teleporting Spiderdemon. The problem with Spidey is she's really slow and it's easy to nail her with big weapons like the BFG. Imagine E3M8 with a teleporting Spiderdemon...hehehe.

I would crap my pants twice! A faster and teleporting SpiderDemon, and a Cyberdemon. Sounds fun, and challenging.

You cant make monsters teleport using dehacked coding, you have to make a level with lots of monsters-only teleports

Or use scripting. ZDoom would be good for it, but I imagine Legacy could do it too.

Nanami said:

Or use scripting. ZDoom would be good for it, but I imagine Legacy could do it too.

You could also do cool things (in a similar style to Korax from Hexen) like monitor the monster's health and execute different scripts at different health values.

Yep. I'm going to use that to accomplish something I hope is at least interesting in a mod I'm working on.