Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Melfice

"You're Still Here? I though you guys were offended?!"

Concerning what happened not too long ago in an argument over the Doom64 TC. Yes, I am still here. I plan to stay here. I don't plan to leave.

The thing about it is is that I don't overreact as much as the rest of the TC team. Really, I find it somewhat childish the way Elbryan42 overreacted to the few comments from one or two individuals, compared to the many others that didn't start in until the rest of the TC team started getting overly defensive, which caused people to make fun of them.

I had a few things to say about my opinion on the overall matter, but I really don't want it to turn into a flame war or anything. I post here and there up down and all around. The opinions of people who I don't even personally know don't matter to me too much, since I have matters in real life that usually need more tending than things that happen on here, NewDoom, the Depot, or the other 20 or so forums I frequent.

But this is my opinion on the resources matter, since that seemed to be the epicenter of all the crapola: I personally don't give a shit who uses what and where they get it and if it's illegal or legal or whatever in hell the case may be. If it benefits me somehow, then I'll use it. If it doesn't, then whatever it may be can just go to Hell and get out of my way. In the case of all the Doom64 shit, well, it benefits me, I can use it, so I will. It's that simple. The main reason I even joined the Doom64 TC team was because I wanted to beable to use the resources. The fact that I'm good at mapping was just kind of a side thing to ensure that I got what I wanted. That's all there is to it.

And now that I've thrown in my thoughts, let the flaming inaccurate and incescent flaming begin, while I go off in a dark place and continue mapping for my project.

† Melfice †

Show me a Doomer who doesn't want the Doom64 resources, and I'll show you someone who still makes Heretic maps. Your reasons are, in my opinion, perfectly valid.

Ditto man. Besides, at the end of the day it's way unfair that we have to buy a now redundant console to play doom64, espiacially since PC doomers are the real doomers (no offense non-pcdoomers). Therefore it's pretty cool of you guys to do this.

Fuck critism. Get that tc done. :)

Nice to see someone from that team that can see things in perspective. Personally, I've grown tired of certain people translating bad comments on our forums into "doomworld hates us", and "doomworld sux".

Melfice Darkmage said:
let the flaming inaccurate and incescent flaming begin

It better won't, for the sake of those people starting it. We've had to post-hell a lot of flames already.

I'm glad from the words spoken and the way this sounds that the flames are being put out around here. One of the more annoying things is having a halfway descent conversation and having a few who decide to start flaming, usually coming from a misunderstanding or misinterpretation. If anything, what's happened over the past few weeks is that alot of people, and not just here, seem to be having a problem with stereotyping a whole group of people over a few people's actions. I suppose anymore that could even go as far as to be considered human nature, but in any aspect it's gotten out of hand. Thanks for understanding, hopefully sometime soon the rest of the team will come to the same understanding that I have about the situation. *grins*

I'd say that you overreacted quite a bit yourself too Melfice, but nice to see that you have come to your senses, welcome back.

Trasher][: Just wait until the next Newstuff Chronicles and you'll see someone who still makes Heretic maps, heheh.

Ichor said:

Trasher][: Just wait until the next Newstuff Chronicles and you'll see someone who still makes Heretic maps, heheh.

You mean you...

oh god.

But on topic, to say "Doing this just for the resources is selfish, blublublublu!" would be hypocracy on my part.

Trasher][ said:
Show me a Doomer who doesn't want the Doom64 resources, and I'll show you someone who still makes Heretic maps. Your reasons are, in my opinion, perfectly valid.

Hi. I'm not really wanting the Doom64 resources. I would have liked to try the TC, but not really interested in using the resources. So, where's this Heretic mapper?

Actually, I'm working on Hexen now. But anyway, I hope this all gets resolved soon. It would be such a shame to have all that hard work and time spent wasted because of an argument right before it's finished.

TeamKill said:

Hi. I'm not really wanting the Doom64 resources. I would have liked to try the TC, but not really interested in using the resources. So, where's this Heretic mapper?

I think he's in the next newstuff...

And I want to try the TC too, but I have a few nasty ideas involving the resources (Doom versus Doom64)

The map is currently in /newstuff.

And yes, let's not have a flamewar about who was to blame for the previous D64TC flamewars.

Trasher ][: In answer to your request, I don't want the D64 resources myself.

Meh, how many times have we been over this? :P

I'm asking the same question. Someone please lock this before it turns into a flamewar. I've grown tired of this a long time ago.

So have we all, but this thread won't be closed just yet.

Trasher][ said:

I was making them last year....(so that makes me a Heretic mapper)

Trasher][ said:
Show me a Doomer who doesn't want the Doom64 resources, and I'll show you someone who still makes Heretic maps.

I don't particularly want them. If I'm not happy with the existing resources available, I'll just make my own (including music, textures, sprites, and to a certain extent sound effects).

I think everybody's quite sick of this topic, however I'm glad you guys are trying to make up. As long as this thread stays dedicated to resolving differences instead of further argument it can remain open. Please let it be the last of this discussion though.

Well in creating this thread, it was more so a move on my part to tell that I personally have moved past things and that yes, at first I was offended, but I move on, so yes, I'm still here. But at the same time in the process I figured I'd throw in an explanation for why I'm still here and the thread.

As I speak everything is done for the TC unless we think of something along the way, otherwise right now we're beta testing. So I can't give an exact release date, but it's freakin close.

nice to see someone working on that TC chilled out for once. i'd like to see this thing completed.

Grazza said:

Trasher ][: In answer to your request, I don't want the D64 resources myself.

me either. then again i don't even much like the doom2 resources which is why i usually map for doom1 instead.

Yeah, it's cool and all that you're still here Melfice, and I'm glad you're not overreacting, but at the same time all I see this thread as doing (unintentionally, I'm sure) is stirring things up. If you ask me what's done is done and it's not worth dragging out again, ya know.

If anyone who had their feelings hurt in that spat decides to keep coming here, then by all means, but actions speak as loudly as posts like this when it comes to getting over something.

Melfice Darkmage said:

...and having a few who decide to start flaming, usually coming from a misunderstanding or misinterpretation.

oy, understatement of the century

I've pretty much stayed out of this but I dunno, everyone else is jumping in, why not me?

Issue 1) the team's attitude

I respect Elbryan and co., but some of the team members really came off as arrogant assholes looking for a fight. I highly doubt ANY TC team wants that image for their TC.

"Hey guys, we're making a TC!"

"Yeah, uh, great"

"YOU DON'T SEEM TO BE INTERESTED, FAGGOT, YOU'RE FUCKING WORTHLESS"

^--if you saw that shit, would you want to download that person's TC? No. So, if you see a TC team member who keeps on being an asshole towards somebody, even after they clearly state what they meant, would you really think that this person deserves your attention? No.

Issue 2 : this whole "resource stealing" shit

Take a look at Immoral Conduct, kickass weapons mod for EDGE, right? Yeah, but it's full of resources from other games. Did Cory steal these resources? No, IMO, he used them, but clearly stated that they were NOT his work, therefore, giving proper credit. This, IMO, is not stealing. Now if Cory claimed that all those graphics were of 100% his own design, yet there is evidence that it clearly isn't, then it's stealing. The Doom 64 TC team never really claimed that the graphics and sounds were totally theirs, they did however, state that they did not want people using the graphics that they worked hard on porting without permission. That's understandable, but how can you people claim that they stole these resources when they never claimed them as their total creation? They merely want credit for their hard-ass work, and rightfully so.

Issue 3 : Password protection

Lame idea, end of story.

Issue 4 : leaked beta

Not a whole lot of people really seemed concerned about this, but let's look at it. The team knows that the resources are not ready to be released, but some fagass releases them anyway and on top of that, claims it as their own work. THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT. What if somebody took Julian's ROR code, put it into a port without making ANY changes what-so-ever, and claimed it as their own when there is so much evidence that shows that it's Julian's work? I think people would be pretty pissed at the jerk that is claiming somebody elses work as their own, don't you agree?

There, my 2 cents.