Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
w M w

running doom2 on windows xp professional

I want to play doom2/heretic/maximum doom/master levels like I did for hours and hours on my old computer. I have "windows xp professional" now though and little computer know how. My problem is that when I run doom2/heretic the sound has obnoxious gaps of silence and barely works. The visuals seem to be fine though.

I was delighted to find something called "legacy" and tried to make that work. It looks very interesting, but when I tried running it, it prompted "can't find doomargs.tmp". This is like alien tongue to me. I just want to be able to play the best games in the galaxy again *sniff*. Pleash helpsh shme. Thanks a doodle doo.

FAQ

I don't know the Legacy tech, but it sounds like a minor problem with your setup. Anyhow, I think you should check out one of the other source ports (as mentioned in the FAQ), for example ZDoom, Eternity or PrBoom.

w M w said:

I want to play doom2/heretic/maximum doom/master levels like I did for hours and hours on my old computer. I have "windows xp professional" now though and little computer know how. My problem is that when I run doom2/heretic the sound has obnoxious gaps of silence and barely works. The visuals seem to be fine though.

I was delighted to find something called "legacy" and tried to make that work. It looks very interesting, but when I tried running it, it prompted "can't find doomargs.tmp". This is like alien tongue to me. I just want to be able to play the best games in the galaxy again *sniff*. Pleash helpsh shme. Thanks a doodle doo.

I had the same problem with doomargs.tmp. Just do a search for it on your harddrive (the search with the little dog or whatever on XP) and it should come up from somewhere in your Doom directory. Also, I use Doom Collectors Edition for XP, and it runs fine, and is only $20 and includes Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom.

EDIT: Once you find Doomargs.tmp, put it in your Legacy directory
EDIT 2: I'm running XP Home Edition, but I assume the problems are basically the same

Oh hell yesh! That worked, insertwackyname. Ahhhhhhh... it feels good to play this game again. I feel like I'm playing a musical instrument with the keyboard, damn I love this game. None of the first person shooters today are as good as this (that I've played). for example "james bond nightfire" for ps2. There are so many complicated redundant controls and loading times and features etc etc. I can't wait to make my own levels again like I did in doomcad. Now THAT was some fun shnozle. I wish there was some friendly easy to use editor for many other games too. Imagine one for contra. One thing I hate is the new keyboards where they moved ctrl (the fire button) to the right to make room for the stupid (useless as far as I know) windows button. But I make do by using alt as fire instead. Are you all Doom2 junkies and hang out on this mb a lot? I could seriously get into this. I remember this one level, I think in master doom, the very end level with like 8 cyberdemons and machine gun spiders. I beat that on ultra violence, without saving I think. I'm reading "the masters of doom" (you can find it on amazon), about the biography of the two johns etc.
Thanks for the help.

I use Windows XP Corporate Professional Edition and my Doom stuff runs fine...I use ZDoom and PrBoom for my Dooming and it all runs great. Always make sure you have all the latest drivers whether it's sound or video.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT