Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AirRaid

DooM³ (as opposed to just DooM3)

An idea bout this popped into my head just now... John Carmack always refers to this game as just 'Doom'. He seemed rather reluctant to call it Doom3, because it's a remake, not a sequel. The idea of the comprimise between "Doom 3" (or III) and "Doom" as in "Doom³" is actually pretty clever. People still read it as Doom3, but it technically reads "Doom Cubed", which can be taken in a number of ways. Could be that "Cubed" is a reference to the fully 3D-ness of the game now - The use of Models as opposed to sprites, and the whole bumpmapping thing. Also however, it could be read that It's Doom Cubed, as in, It's still Doom, not a sequel, but it's exponentially better.

Of course, certain Doom purists would argue that Doom3 isn't better than doom, (especially the ones with no hair :P) and I wasn't really talking about "better" in that sense. I was talking about everything that id wanted to do with Doom, they can do better with the new technology.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I said some of these things on another thread; to make the 3 less evident and to point out that it's technologically much more advanced that a DOOM III would or should have been. I hadn't throught of it meaning DOOM 3D, though, and that's pretty clever, since that's one big difference between the old games (2D in many ways) and the new one (a true 3D game.)

Cubing it may not increase the value. Maybe Doom = 0.1337, for instance.

Or maybe they wanted to differentiate it from the pwad called Doom3, which would otherwise cause a lot of confusion.

Fredrik said:

OR, it's just an Alien reference :P

lol. hmmmn...

alien ³
DooM ³

there's something there i just can't put my finger on it . . .

Did anyone notice in the DooM Legacy video after the part where they're talking with the animator, the camera swings around a corner and there are what seems to be the egg pods from alien on the floor?

"Doom³" looks even more retarded than "DooM".

Just write it like this: Doom 3. Its easier to type, and looks less stupid.

I really have no idea why people have this bizarre urge to make the way they write the name of the doom games look like the logos.

haha

next person to write DooM gets banned for a week!

well I could ban you, but banning a mod seems wrong :P

HEH, yeah thats one huge and loud heh!!!

Just type D3 - its short, its easy, and its meaning beyond the understanding...

fraggle said:
"Doom³" looks even more retarded than "DooM".

Just write it like this: Doom 3. Its easier to type, and looks less stupid.

I really have no idea why people have this bizarre urge to make the way they write the name of the doom games look like the logos.

DOOM³, actually. But really, the logo is the name of the game, which is what distinguishes from the simple (or not) english word doom followed by a number or whatever.

To be honest, up to now whenever I've used the "³" I've copy-pasted it from another post... otherwise I'd probably have to open the Character Map thingy for it.

Cyb said:

haha

next person to write DooM gets banned for a week!

Mod abuse anyone? Oh well, as long as it's only for a single week.

DooM

(fyi, I just committed an act of Mod abuse by writing that word, now we're even).

Also however, it could be read that It's Doom Cubed, as in, It's still Doom, not a sequel, but it's exponentially better.

Of course, certain Doom purists would argue that Doom3 isn't better than doom, (especially the ones with no hair :P) and I wasn't really talking about "better" in that sense. I was talking about everything that id wanted to do with Doom, they can do better with the new technology.

Yes, Doom 3 (what the Hell does this 'cubed' thing mean anyway?) will be far superior technologically and in terms of updated gameplay. The question is: will Doom 3 be a superior game in terms of fun factor, immersiveness and overall cool factor?
As much as I revere Doom 3 like some god, I doubt it'll be as great a game as the classic Doom, unless Todd Hollenshead's prophecy turns out to be fulfilled and Doom 3 will indeed "redefine the PC gaming experience".
But at least there's a good chance that it'll be iD's best game since Doom 2 and that's enough to keep me on the edge of my seat in anticipation.

dsm said:

Mod abuse anyone? Oh well, as long as it's only for a single week.

DooM

(fyi, I just committed an act of Mod abuse by writing that word, now we're even).

Ichor said DooM first so if you would be attacked he would be attacked first! :P

Actually, mods can't ban anybody who isn't a regular registered user :P

Lüt said:

Actually, mods can't ban anybody who isn't a regular registered user :P

...and thus Mod's Wars have began...

Heh. I usually just type Doom3. I have no earthly idea why I typed DooM in the thread title... O_o

dsm might have been seeking a geometrical interpretation, rather than an algebraic one.

Oh yeah. Take a line of the length x:

____
    x
And it'll be the length x, or x¹.

Then take a square with sides of length x:
  ____
 |    | x
 |____|
   x
Its area will be x * x = x², which is called x squared.

Continue with a cube:
  _____
 /___ /| x
|    | |
|____|/ x
   x
The volume of the cube is x * x * x = x³, which is also called x cubed for this reason.

Heh. Doom³ is taking it a bit far... Doom 3 is fine for me.

myk said:

DOOM³, actually. But really, the logo is the name of the game, which is what distinguishes from the simple (or not) english word doom followed by a number or whatever.

You dont need to "distinguish" it. Its obvious when you write "Doom 3" what its referring to. The logo doesnt define the name of the game. When I write "Quake", should I write "(+)uake" in some kind of stupid attempt to make it look like the logo? Or "HλLF LIFE" for half life? Its not like anyone is going to get these confused with earthquakes or the decay times of nuclear material. Same with Doom 3.

Its not "doom cubed", its Doom 3. Theres nothing special about the 3 that means it should always be in superscript, its just where they decided to put it in the logo.

This whole thing reminds me of idiots who write in "l337 h4x0r $p34k".

You're fraggle on this forum, not Fraggle (or whatever), and this is DOOM³, not Doom 3. Someone might type it Doom3 or something if he's lazy or if the name is being adapted to a format or if "DOOM³" isn't possible (such as in a standard TXT file,) but otherwise you'll see the logo or DOOM³. Commercial products (with trademarks) are like that; either named by the proper logo (whenever possible) or else typed in a certain way (Quake, DOOM, Coca-Cola, tATu, etc.) Leet speak and the weird examples you gave above have nothing to do with what I'm saying.

DOOM³ certainly means id Software's game, whereas Doom 3 might not, plus DOOM³ is tied to all the relevant associations made on this thread about the character setup in relation to the game, whereas Doom 3 does not bring any of those up.

And the present logo wasn't made like that "just because" at all.