Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ubik

It's good to be back...

...sorta. Not until I get my computer up and running. Cripes man does any other doomer have more computer problems than me? I swear...

Anyways, here's deal...

I left my system on overnite to work on SETI@home and Progress Quest. When I got up in the morning the screen was blank, thinking it was the energy save I just shook the mouse and banged on the keyboard a tad. Nothing... Crap...

So I shut it down using the hold the power switch for a few seconds, and fired her back up. The powersupply came on but thats it, no hard drive nothing.

I cracked open the case and poked around and didn't see anything strange at the time. So I walked off for a few hours.

Later that night my and my bro Josh were looking it over and he noticed some brown powder on some "capasitors" (damned if I know exactly what purpose they serve.)

The tops of them (4 or 5) were bubbled out and brown gunk had oozed out. Not good.

So to make a long story short (too late...) my mobo died at a very bad finanical time and im still waiting for some extra cash.

Still awake? hehe

As far as Doom Radio is consered, it's active but I need my own 'puter. (I'm using my roomate Issacs atm.)

Damn man I have missed alot in my abseance. Ling leaving, ZDaemon on The Screen Savers, (nice not having a computer... or a password feature NightFang, LOL) and god knows how much new wads and stuff.

So many new people floating around. ugh. Just when I got use to the noobs before I "left". hehe

I'll see if a can grab a IRC client on here and chit-chat a tad.

Well later all

Sgt Crispy

"KEEP ON DOOM'N!!!"

wtf is that above my message??? ahem any way. what the irc servers we were all on when I dissapeared? I can't remember.

sgtcrispy said:

...sorta. Not until I get my computer up and running. Cripes man does any other doomer have more computer problems than me? I swear...

Yes, my other computer's (mainly used for Doom) internet is still fucked up. It's been like that since December. I don't get why it's doing it! I won't be able to release my beta for ICD-Lizard because of the stupid computer... >:(

sgtcrispy said:

wtf is that above my message??? ahem any way. what the irc servers we were all on when I dissapeared? I can't remember.

You know I have missed you. :)

sgtcrispy said:

"capasitors" (damned if I know exactly what purpose they serve.)

Capacitors give you a hint at their function in their name. Capacit... capacit? Capacity? Capacitors "capacitate," or store power in themselves until they meet their capacitY, that is, as much power as they can store, then they let it out. As you can see on a capacitor, there are two pieces of metal going into the bottom. The part they are going into is a resistant or semi-conductive material, and those two pieces of metal are just that -- two pieces. They do not connect. However, once the capacitor stores enough power in itself, the power can jump through that semi-conductive material to the other piece of metal and flow out the other side. If you think about it, this is a good way to make an electronic timer or something, if you know how long it takes for each one to reach capacity, line up enough capacitors in the circuit to make a delay of a fraction of a second, then feed it through an IC to increment something somewhere so on whatever blah. I don't actually know much about electronics, but I know that much.

...were bubbled out and brown gunk had oozed out...

Uh, heh. Bad OC'ing or a power surge maybe?

No. If the first post of a thread is deleted, then so will the entire thread.

There is no problem with the first post in this thread being out of order. It is not out of order.

You didn't see anything.

Man Crispy. Looks like you'll have lots to talk about in episode 12 of Doom Radio.

So when did this happen? By my calculations it must've been in November, because that's when you disappeared. On all the stuff that's happened, you forgot to mention Doomcenter/MGON's demise.

By the way, both your nick and your channel on Freenode have expired.

I remember last time this happened Lüt saying something about if a thread is being moved to post hell and at the same time someone makes a thread then the last post of the posthelled thread will become the first post of the new thread.

But I'm probably totally wrong.

No, it is if a thread is deleted. Then when a new thread is created and the forum assigns it the same number as the deleted thread, then the first reply on the deleted thread shows up in the newly created one. Since it's dated before the first post on this thread, it appears before it.

At least that's what I remember.

sgtcrispy said:

Cripes man does any other doomer have more computer problems than me? I swear...

Go talk to Sephiroth about hardware problems. :P

More or less. The capacitance of any particular capacitor is measured in Farads, and it determines how much charge the capacitor can hold. The material inbetween the two metal plates is referred to as a dielectric; it is commonly ceramic, paper (in really old caps), or a special fluid which is used in particular capacitors called electrolytic capacitors. This fluid is what SgtCrispy saw leaked from the capacitors, as it is usually brown in color. Once the charge on one of the plates reaches the capacitance of the capacitor, it discharges across the dielectric. The capacitance is determined by the spacing of the plates and the dielectric material used. Placing multiple capacitors in an electrical circuit in parallel (meaning all the leads of the same polarity are common) results in a total capacitance that equals the sum of the individual capacitances. Placing them in series (meaning each is hooked up one after the other) results in total capacitance being determined by the formula Ct = 1 / ((1 / C1) + (1 / C2) + ...). Ceramic capacitors do not have a particular polarity, while if electrolytic capacitors are hooked up backwards, they can explode. Negative polarity is usually indicated by the shorter wire lead. Keep in mind that the capacitor theory you talked about only applies to capacitors in actual electrical circuits. If you simply charged any old capacitor with a battery and then touched the two leads to a metal object, it would discharge. Most often, electrolytic capacitors have a maximum voltage rating, which, if exceeded, can rupture the capacitor.

hehe, thanks for the support guys. :)

I was guessing that it might be a capacitor. I really dont know what they were exactly, I just assmued they were capacitors.

Yeah the Doomcenter/MGON thing suxz0rz too. Damn...
IRC time.

Well, it doesn't really suck that much, as the only two people working there (myself and bigd) moved to DW only a couple of weeks after Ling left. Soon after, MGON declared bankruptcy. I'd say it was a good move on our part. Too bad bigd had to get a real job, and is hard to find around here nowadays.

Welcome back. You probably don't remember me and I don't really remember you, but nonetheless it's good to see veteran DW forum-ers around here, unlike these lame ass newbies.