Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dr_qui

deja vu ?

what do you think the chances are of seeing familiar levels cropping up in doom 3 ?

The chances that we'll see levels in Doom 3 that are based on the originals are very slim. I wouldn't disregard the possibility of one or two familiar areas popping up as easter eggs, though.

Even if they don't show up in Doom 3 itself, count on a 100% certainty that most of the levels will be recreated by fans within 6 months after the game's release :)

i sure do hope so...i only wish i was talented enough to do it myself... being a 10 year veteran an everything

I could imagine parts of old Doom levels very well in the new Doom3 environment. The déja vu effect would be very subtle though (but then the effect is even better). For example, the first room in E1M1. That structure in the alcove at the left, with the stair and the armor on top of it, could be designed as an observation post. It just have to look reasonable somehow.
The more "surrealist" parts of the original Doom design would probably look too weird in the new engine (for example that zig-zagging way over the slime later in E1M1, or one of the many maze-like sections).

It would be actually quite challenging to build remakes of old Doom levels in the new world of Doom3, if you have the basic rule that it shouldn´t be a copy of the old level but rather a creative re-interpretation.

bluesonnet, your avatar kicks my fucking ass.

pregnant with worms said:

bluesonnet, your avatar kicks my fucking ass.

Geez, ever heard of the private message function? Use it next time.

Fredrik said:

Geez, ever heard of the private message function? Use it next time.

Yeah, preg, watch your language! AndrewB could be reading this! :P

Uh. I think Tim Willits said in an interview that "Hardcore Doom fans will recognise a few areas in the game" or something. I guess this meant that some of the levels or at least peices of architecture were being remade... I'd link the interview but I have no idea where it was said.

Fredrik said:

The chances that we'll see levels in Doom 3 that are based on the originals are very slim. I wouldn't disregard the possibility of one or two familiar areas popping up as easter eggs, though.

I believe iD said that they would try and do some of the levels based on the old Doom levels - we can expect them to be hugely different though, but it's not unlikely that we'll come across an area and think: "Whoa, this reminds me of ExMy!"