Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cadman

Community Chest Project

Good God. I am trying to download the CChest wad from the 3dgamers ftp and its coming at at 3kB/sec :-( Do you guys think it would be cool if I put it on my web-server? I mean no one should mind right. It would come in alot faster than 3kB/sec I can tell you that!

Erik said:

Use3d:

Whoa, map12 kicks ass! I think it makes it onto my top 10 list of best maps ever in fact. Reminds me a bit of dark covenant but with much more detail and fantastic lighting and layout. The secrets are fantastic too. Only very small letdown in it was those shootable switches that could be a bit tricky to find, at least the first 2, then I caught onto it.

Good god that map is orgasmic.

Use3d needs to make more maps. Now.

I've just spent a while on it. Very nice map - the type that really appeals to me (except that I can't quite imagine Pacifist being feasible). Max looks really rough, so I went for the easy option: UV Speed in 2:37 (first exit). I hope that was an intentional shortcut that you allowed...

Uh.....shortcut?

It might be somewhat intentional, if you explain where you're talking about.

BTW, there is some visual crappola in the blood streams/canals in this map if you play it with GLBoom.

Bah, go figure, the only port I don't test it with is the only one that fucks the deep water effect up.

Archvile46 said:

Uh.....shortcut?

It might be somewhat intentional, if you explain where you're talking about.

Blue key grab. Quite easy with SR50; sometimes SR40 is enough.

Actually, I'm not sure what the intended route is, but the blue key grab enables you to skip a large part of the map.

One, quick important question: Should you kill yourself so you start with the pistol at the beginning of each map?

Grimm said:

One, quick important question: Should you kill yourself so you start with the pistol at the beginning of each map?

All maps are optimised to be played from a pistol-only start, but you can play them front to back just as well.

Grazza said:

Blue key grab. Quite easy with SR50; sometimes SR40 is enough.

Actually, I'm not sure what the intended route is, but the blue key grab enables you to skip a large part of the map.

Shit, I hadn't realized that. Oh well, fun for speedrunners.

About map05 (I think), was I supposed to straferun off of the bridge onto the ledge in order to get the yellow key? Or was there another way? If there is dont tell me how. I just want to know if it can be done in another way.

Just for everyone's information, two(2) files were missed when the zip was made, my fault for that.

The wad itself has not changed, so it's okay. I just had to include the .deh & bex files! The new zip file is now in incoming. If you've already downloaded the file everything is okay with what you have, I've just included the .deh & bex files.

You can continue to play the current wad without a hitch just add the new files...thanks everyone.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Archvile46 said:

Shit, I hadn't realized that. Oh well, fun for speedrunners.

I've looked at this a bit more, and tried it in some other ports, and now know what the intended route is. However, it doesn't work properly in PrBoom/GLBoom - tag14 doesn't function for some reason, leaving you trapped in the cyberdemon area, with no way to exit the map. Good job there is the grab, I suppose. I don't know if this is a PrBoom bug, or just something flukey working out in Zdoom.

I was playing with -complevel 1 (i.e. Doom2.exe compatibility), but that ought not to foul anything up. I'll let you know if I discover anything relevant. [edit]Changing the complevel doesn't make any difference. Tag 14 works OK in Legacy too, but not in jDoom.[/edit]

Grazza said:

I've looked at this a bit more, and tried it in some other ports, and now know what the intended route is. However, it doesn't work properly in PrBoom/GLBoom - tag14 doesn't function for some reason, leaving you trapped in the cyberdemon area, with no way to exit the map. Good job there is the grab, I suppose. I don't know if this is a PrBoom bug, or just something flukey working out in Zdoom.

I was playing with -complevel 1 (i.e. Doom2.exe compatibility), but that ought not to foul anything up. I'll let you know if I discover anything relevant.

That's very, very odd.

I just ran through the level in PrBoom and the tag worked absolutely fine. So, you hit the switch above the pool of blood with the windows, and the cyberdemon teleports in, correct?

That switch also raises the bottom step in the staircase in the hall so you can climb up. While you climb up the stairs, the "down to highest floor" tag is in in there, and it makes the balcony complete so you can hit the switch on the balcony, and then take the teleport that it opens on the other side of the balcony.

I just did it, and everything went just fine. Weird.

Assmaster said:

About map05 (I think), was I supposed to straferun off of the bridge onto the ledge in order to get the yellow key? Or was there another way? If there is dont tell me how. I just want to know if it can be done in another way.

That's exactly what I did in that map (it's map 06 btw, just so you know). I don't think there's another way, at least not to my knowledge.

Archvile46 said:

I just ran through the level in PrBoom and the tag worked absolutely fine. ... hit the switch on the balcony, and then take the teleport that it opens on the other side of the balcony.

Yes, everything goes like that, except that when I hit that switch on the balcony, the bars don't lower, so I can't reach the teleport. I've just retested this in PrBoom 2.2.3 (default complevel {-1} - i.e. standard PrBoom) once with nomonsters and then with godmode (sorry, I'm too tired to play a map as tough as this "properly" right now!).

Well, I don't know. Maybe I'm failing to trigger something (due to my route, or due to straferunning), so the "highest floor" isn't what it needs to be at that time, if that is of any possible relevance. As I said though, it works correctly for me in both Zdoom and Legacy.

Grazza said:

Yes, everything goes like that, except that when I hit that switch on the balcony, the bars don't lower, so I can't reach the teleport. I've just retested this in PrBoom 2.2.3 (default complevel {-1} - i.e. standard PrBoom) once with nomonsters and then with godmode (sorry, I'm too tired to play a map as tough as this "properly" right now!).

Well, I don't know. Maybe I'm failing to trigger something (due to my route, or due to straferunning), so the "highest floor" isn't what it needs to be at that time, if that is of any possible relevance. As I said though, it works correctly for me in both Zdoom and Legacy.

That's really quite odd, then. The teleport bars should have nothing to do with anything else at all, except the switch on the balcony. I honestly have no idea what's going wrong. All I know is that when I've played PrBoom, it works just fine.

Keeping with the trend of talking about map06 (I guess), I'm totally stumped there now. I've gotten the red key and moved into the "blue room," dealt with the revenants and sergeants, pressed those "vents" to find the rockets and rocket launcher... and have no clue what to do now. I've pressed every switch I've seen, there just doesn't seem to be anything to do at this point, as I've gone around the entire map again several times now with no luck.

Oh well, if anyone can throw me some info it'd be appreciated, I've even cheated the full map on just to see if it would make it obvious but... it hasn't yet anyway.

This is one of the things I didn't like about that map - the doors are non-obvious, almost like Wolf3D secret doors. If you go to the tiny windows where the chaingunners were, you'll notice there's a passage running behind them with a teleporter. One of those has a door in the blue room that opens into it, this takes you up the top where the revenants are. There are more non-obvious doors around there to go further.

BTW, has anyone played map 20 yet?

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Yeah we need more feedback on this whole megawad!

The Ultimate DooMer said:

I did. I liked it a lot, except for those dummy players. I attempted to dodge a revenant fireball by running up some stairs and around a corner, which sent the revenant fireball right into the dummy player. It irritated me quite a bit.

The level as a whole was great, though. :)

I think map 18 and map 10 are very good!
I also had a few misfortunes with the dummy players in Ultimate Doomer's maps.

Let's see if I can explain this worth a damn. If you know how to get to the upper ledge in the room where the massive amount of cacodemons is inititally (with blue water on the ground), then this should make sense (you get up there through a teleporter). If you go all the way around the ledge from where you teleport in, you'll find a switch which lowers the wall behind you, and some stairs leading down to the exit. You've got some revenants in your way but aside from that if you can kill them, you're pretty close to home free.

Now I just hope that made sense, if not, maybe someone else can describe it better.

After finally finishing it today I have to say map 6 was a little... odd compared to the first 5 levels. I'm all for the challenge and a little bit of "puzzling around" trying to find out where to go, but some of those doors were ridculous to find (well mainly just the one in "the blue room"), and no apparent way to get the yellow key other than strafe running. That said I still mostly liked it, just think making the path a little more obvious would have been nice.

Use3D said:

Yeah we need more feedback on this whole megawad!

Someone oughta do a level-by-level review.

Archvile46 said:

Someone oughta do a level-by-level review.

Yes I agree...A Level-by-level review would be great!

Aleaver said:

Yes I agree...A Level-by-level review would be great!

I seconded that. We really need a review.