Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CaptainAwesome

What is the best Doom engine game?

I know this is a damn broad question, and very subjective, but my favorite game is Hexen (Hexen 2 was ok. Love the catapault, but I hate the spiders), followed by Doom 2. So what else is available?

What is the goriest?

Most challenging?

Best'world'?

Best enemies?

I'm talking about commercially released games, as well as the 'wads and mods'that you guys do. (I am pretty old, so I have trouble downloading). I also have a pretty old machine, a pentium 100. It doesn't do Quake or Hexen 2.

What is your opinion, and why?

Chex Quest.

Seriously, probably Doom/2 - Half of heretic's weapons were stolen directly from Doom and Hexen bored me (although now it's loads better with Korax mod).

I'd say Ultimate Doom. If E4 had a new boss it'd be own.

Doom 2 kind of sucked. The maps were small and blah and though the new monsters and the new weapon were cool, they were used badly. Also nothing REALLY new came out of it.

Heretic was just... level after level of the same old stuff. And fighting a Maulotaur is more boring than fighting a Cyberdemon with a shotgun. And it's easier.

Hexen was too puzzly. I've never beaten the second hub because I HAVE NO FREAKING CLUE WHERE TO GO. I spent, literally, three hours searching for some key or switch or something, and found nothing. Ever. I quit eventually. And come on... 4-6 hits to kill the badguys in the very first level? That's crazy.

Never played Strife.

Doom II is my favorite and least favorite. The bad part is Doom II was to puzzly and some parts were rediculously hard. The good part is you can make maps for it, you can create 986579657864874586 maps if you want to. You can do all sorts of things when making a Doom II map, the posibilities are endless!

In descending order:

Doom
Final Doom
Hexen
Doom 2
Heretic

If you count third party levels Doom 2 wins, however.

I have to agree with the puzzles in Hexen. They can be quite unintuitive. Especially the second hub can be quite frustrating if you have no idea what to do.

SmellyOgre said:

Doom II is my favorite and least favorite. The bad part is Doom II was to puzzly and some parts were rediculously hard. The good part is you can make maps for it, you can create 986579657864874586 maps if you want to. You can do all sorts of things when making a Doom II map, the posibilities are endless!

Heh, Doom II puzzly? Don't ever play Hexen man.

Now that this has been moved...

Hexen of course. Yes, some of the puzzles on the second hub can be frustrating (I don't like the cliffs leading to map 10 from map 7), but once you figure them out, it can be quite fun. My favorite hub is either the third or fourth one, and all three of the hubs in Deathkings of the Dark Citadel are good too.

STRIFE. then doom, then hexen + korax mod.

doom followed by heretic and strife. Doom 2 just don't do it for me i'm afraid.

Hexen all the way...most replayable Doom Engine game I've ever had....before I realized the power of ZDoom and Doom 2 Modifications, that is.

Plus its so much fun in DeathMatch.

Doom (or ultimatedoom)
Final Doom
Heretic
Doom2

I find doom and final doom to be overall better because the level design was better and fitted well with the story (more so for doom). Doom2 was more of a "chuck loads of monsters at you" type of game and i didn't like the level design as much.

I need to play Heretic again but i remember there being good level designs.

well CaptainAwesome!
I like the one where you run around with shotguns and rocket launchers and kill demons. That one's a blast!

Rubilacxe said:

Hexen all the way...most replayable Doom Engine game I've ever had....before I realized the power of ZDoom and Doom 2 Modifications, that is.

Heh, you do know you can make use ZDoom and its many features for Hexen (and also Heretic) add-ons, right? :)

Both Doom (excluding E1) and most of Doom II's levels looked like they were designed by 5 year olds.

but I'd go with Doom since its a lot more fun.

Hexen is simply brilliant, but Heretic was too repetitive and all levels really looked a like, since there's a very small collection of textures.

Strife was really unique and its levels are really interesting, but I got bored playing it real quick. But for its levels, they were quite detailed

So here's my order from best to least

Doom (Ultimate)
Hexen
Strife
Doom 2
Heretic

if only Doom2's levels were designed well like Final Doom's levels.

hexen.. once you know what to do, it makes the game so much more fun.
only played it for N64 though.. Jhexen makes the game so sweet. What with all the glowing shit..

Deathman said:

Both Doom (excluding E1) and most of Doom II's levels looked like they were designed by 5 year olds.

Heh, just look at level 15. (industrial zone)

NiGHTMARE said:

Heh, you do know you can make use ZDoom and its many features for Hexen (and also Heretic) add-ons, right? :)

yeah I know...I'm just saying I thought Hexen is the best Doom engine game, but once I discovered ZDOOM and all the MODs for Doom 2 (which theres like 10x as many for it than Hexen) I was like "screw Hexen"....but I still fire up Hexen every now and then...its very very fun in DM.

From best to worst:

Doom (or The Ultimate Doom, but I freaking hate E4, so it's really just Doom I love)
.(*)
HeXen: yes, I hate the puzzles, or rather the fact that the puzzle items/whatever are hidden so damn well, but the rest of the game rocks - especially when you play as the fighter because most enemies go down quick when you "play" with them.
Doom 2: Perfect new weapon, cool new enemies, but horrid level design and the music is not half as scary or cool as in Doom 1.
Strife: While I absolutely hate the basic concept (medieval style mixed with futurism, yuck!), the gameplay is actually quite interesting (some of the weapons are interesting too, though some of 'em suck!) and the storyline is intriguing too. Could have been a great game if the concept was cool....But it isn't.
Heretic: This is probably the most boring shooter I've ever tried, though it's difficult for me to put my finger on exactly why it's so dull. It steals weapons from Doom and disguises them as cheesy magic staffs that don't sound even 1/5th as cool as Doom's guns (maybe that's part of the reason it's so dull?) and most of the music ain't much better either (though it has 2 or three cool music pieces in there). Some of the monsters are quite interesting though.
I actually think I like Heretic 2 better, because it has spells in addition to weapons and because most of the offensive means are cooler.

(*) The dots that fill out blank spaces are to mark how much better I like the game above the dots than the game below.