Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rubilacxe

Chaingun Sound

I've seen in MODs like Immoral Conduct for ZDoom that the Chaingun and Pistol have separate sounds, DSPISTOL and DSCHAIN...how do you get the game to pick up on these sounds? How can I make the pistol and chaingun have totally separate sounds?

I'm using dehacked and I'm unsure how to alter the chaingun's firing sound.

You embed a lump called SNDINFO in the wad and in the lump you have the text

weapons/chngun			dschain

LOLOLOL Is that ACS? or FS? how about abc? 123?

code:
----------------------------------------------------------
[Script]
(
prop if (fart)
stinky stinky
(
-----------------------------------------------------------

hmm...well thanks, but unless you CAN do it in Vanilla Doom, it will restrict the MOD to ZDoom...unless Legacy can read SNDIFNO.

Nope, Legacy can't read SNDIFNO. And it can't read SNDINFO either.

Also, it's not scripting of any sort (like FS, ACS) and it doesn't work in vanillia, just for some clarification to certain posters.

Epyo said:

Nope, Legacy can't read SNDIFNO. And it can't read SNDINFO either.

oh whoops haha...its late...I can't type correctly ;)

code:
================================================================
[SCRIPT]
(
if (you can't suceed)
(try, try, again, then)
prop sphincter (and, FART!!!)
)
================================================================
LMAO LOLOLOL

Couldn't in Vanilla Doom using dehacked just pick a sound you won't use and assign that sound to the firing frame?

Though I just looked, it appears that theres no firing sound assigned to the chaingunner, but there IS for the trooper. Perhaps
the troopers firing sound could be changed?

on a semi related topic, (hate to make a new thread) the Spider Mastermind has a different action sound assigned to it than is played while walking!?

What in the EXE defines the sounds to monsters that have no sounds assigned to them (or different than what is played)? is it through the first 'walking' frame?

sorry to sidetrack, but it seemed relevant, plus i need this info too...

BlueBeast said:

Couldn't in Vanilla Doom using dehacked just pick a sound you won't use and assign that sound to the firing frame?

[/B]

No, not possible! Unfortunately the sound names are hard coded into the exe and the pistol and chaingun attack use the same sound. No chance to change this in vanilla Doom.

Though I just looked, it appears that theres no firing sound assigned to the chaingunner, but there IS for the trooper. Perhaps the troopers firing sound could be changed?

Again not possible because the sound being used is again hard coded into the firing functions.

on a semi related topic, (hate to make a new thread) the Spider Mastermind has a different action sound assigned to it than is played while walking!?

That is done with a separate action function in the walking frames. If you examine them in Dehacked you will see that every fourth frame has a different code pointer. That one plays the walking sound (again hard coded into the exe)

What in the EXE defines the sounds to monsters that have no sounds assigned to them (or different than what is played)? is it through the first 'walking' frame?

All sounds that are not in the object tables (which can be modified with Dehacked) are hard coded into the exe (yeah, i know it is becoming old but it's a sad fact!) and cannot be changed unless you replace the sound in the WAD.

sorry to sidetrack, but it seemed relevant, plus i need this info too...

I had this same idea a while back, except I originally got the idea from Batman Doom. In Batman Doom, the chaingun-slot weapon still fired like a normal chaigun, no pointers moved, but in the muzzle flash frames themselves, there was a pointer used to play a sound from the SSG's reloading sounds. When I opened up batman.wad in wintex I found that the sound had been replaced with the firing sound for that gun.

This leads me to beleive that maybe the SSG reloading frames sounds are played louder/with more priority than DSPISTOL?

Or maybe there's a way in DeHackEd to change priority (I cant remember, its been years since I fucked with it.)