Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Galaxy_Stranger

Borrowing FreeDoom

I've been lookin' around for this project! heheh. I've got two things I wanna ask you -

1. I'd like to know all about the legality of this project. Is this really legal and considered unthreatening to id?

2. I'd also like to use this .wad as the main IWAD for my project. Who would I talk to about asking permission for that?

1. I'd like to know all about the legality of this project. Is this really legal and considered unthreatening to id?

This has been discussed previously, for example here, here and here.

The short story is that the project ought to be legal considering that we're remaking everything. There is some stuff in it ATM that resembles the original content a bit too much (at least in my opinion), but anything can be replaced at any time.

I'd also like to use this .wad as the main IWAD for my project. Who would I talk to about asking permission for that?

You don't have to ask for permission, just go ahead and use it :) You should give credit to the Freedoom team though.

Galaxy_Stranger said:

I've been lookin' around for this project! heheh. I've got two things I wanna ask you -

I personally dont see that there is any legal threat. All the material is original. Despite this, however, some people do disagree with me :)

2. I'd also like to use this .wad as the main IWAD for my project. Who would I talk to about asking permission for that?

Freedoom is under the BSD license. You can reuse any of the material provided that you attach a copy of the license.

Ok, that settles it.

I plan on using the Free Doom IWAD for myself. Before I make any releases I will freely give credit to the folks involved with FreeDoom.

Hopefully, I'll have a new release in about a week.

Thanks for the info!

fraggle said:

Freedoom is under the BSD license. You can reuse any of the material provided that you attach a copy of the license.

Ah, didn't know where to look for the license document.

Galaxy_Stranger said:

Ok, that settles it.

I plan on using the Free Doom IWAD for myself. Before I make any releases I will freely give credit to the folks involved with FreeDoom.

Good to hear :) Do you have a website up? Let me know and I'll add a link on the freedoom website.

If this becomes a common thing, maybe I can put up a "projects which use freedoom material" page.