Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pritch

Lüt, Doom, Alien Vendetta map24 and I

Heh, this is the story of our funniest coop crusade to date.

Lüt and I had been really enjoying our AV coop up to this point, despite Legacy's usual crashes and me kind of staying dead through map14-15 while someone bugged me on the phone. Anyway, we got to map24 and I was like, wtf? I don't remember this. I thought the cool one where you drop down into a seperate arena full of mancubi would be there but I might be mistaken. Anyway, I was not to be disappointed, for map24 provided the single most amusing Doom experience of my life thus far.

Heh, I dunno why, but as soon as I ran through the slime to get the rad suit before realising that big staircase led up to the action, I kind of had an inkling this level was going to provide some kind of amusement one way or another. I F12'd Lüt, and saw as he ran up that the red door looks open, and then closes in your face. That sort of confirmed it. This was going to be fun.

Anyway, I joined him and we cleared out that initial area. The sight of the yellow key kind of blinded us for a bit though, and we were trying to figure out if we could get it. Heh, standing over by the red door, I couldn't see the opening in the rocks, until all of a sudden Lüt appeared up on the ledge. I followed after him, but by the time I dropped off on to the sub-plateau he was already messaging me to say he was stuck...

What? I thought. "Where are you?" I said. "I'm here", he said. Another F12 revealed nothing other than him staring out at nothing but r_sky3. Hrm. And in the map I could see... nothing. Anyway, ignoring him I proceeded onwards down the drain, and up and around into the second main busy area which is mostly slime. I promptly died. As I returned along the same route Lüt stopped me and guided me via message to where he was. There are two ledges on the initial sub-plateau: one you can climb up on to get the rocket launcher secret, and one you most definitely cannot. Lüt had taken the second. I followed it round to the right and dropped down to see him standing there. Legacy, in it's infinite wisdom, allows no multiplayer cheats, even from the host. This, of course, is because Legacy is completely bug-free and you won't ever need them.. :P

So Lüt turned friendly fire on and I killed him. But uh, I was still down there. Heh. I had no rocket launcher. Oops. So Lüt went and grabbed the rocket launcher, and dropped down. He thought about it for a second, then figured we could punch each other down to 20% health or so and then splash damage would take care of the rest. Five seconds later, and we were both back at the start. Back in business.

We raced back down to that second main area with all the rad suits, and cleared it all out. Heh, it's sometimes harder to figure things out in coop than it is in sp, and it took just a little while to realise how to open the damn main door. Once we were in there it got worse. We spent I dunno how long dying and trying to beat off the Spider Demon with no ammo. Then I lost Lüt again. Whilst he was off somehwere, I spent three lives finsishing off the spider, then I decided to activate that raising platform which is a once-only job. Unfortunately, I was killed by a revenant having just raised it. I raced back there, only to find there was no way to lower it. I genuinely thought that had been a key area and I moaned to Lüt that we were screwed. Had it not been 2am I might have realised that there was ANOTHER way into that area, and in fact Lüt had already been there AND activated the switch. But neither of us realised that. So we thought we had one problem where in fact we didn't, but, moreover, although Lüt had got passed the plasma gun and was down by the red key, we now had a new problem... a real one. Lüt was stuck again.

Something slightly unusual happens when you grab that red key and I haven't quite figured it out yet. All I know is that in zdoom, subsequently, it's been fine, but that night when Lüt attempted it he got wedged and couldn't move. I appeared with the rocket launcher but to no avail. I couldn't blast him out. Lüt could kill himself, but again Legacy, in it's wisdom, doesn't allow you to keep keys in coop, and so we would not be able to get the red key.. period.

We were in way too deep to just give up now though. We ran around for a bit, wondering how the hell we could get through the main red door, right back at the beginning. If we could just get the yellow... surely we wouldn't even NEED to open the red door?

So, we were back at the start, and we figured we needed to jump across and get the yellow key. We spent ages running up round the stairs, trying to leap over the long gap with Legacy's painfully lagged jump. No success. So, new method. Lüt stands below the yellow keycard and I try and leap on to his head, then jump off his head and grab it. After a few failures we were starting to laugh. Then, I suddenly realised I was not using a strafe50 jump, the ultimate cheat. After a few attempts of screwing up and smacking into Lüt, about the third time he suddenly moved away... but I made it all the same! W00t, we had the yellow key. Except I got passed the yellow door where the switch is, and somehow forgot to press it before something killed me, I think it was a demon, whilst I typed in a message. Great.

Lüt had made it over, but didn't see the yellow door. Instead, he was down behind the main red door, and as it opened thanks to a trigger line in his excitement we forgot a few things, as you shall now see.

The first major problem was the fact that there was a second red door blocking our way up the other side. Wonderful. What was the point of making it behind the first red door without the key only to need it now. I then realised we could have easily jumped into where we were now from the other area where the spider was. Great. We needn't have bothered with those human chain jumps after all! "Oh, heh", Lüt said.

However, we continued to blunder. Because of the second red door, we were convinced we needed to somehow jump over to the raised area past it. After yet more failures, and realising it was way beyond even a strafe50 running jump, Lüt had an idea.

I thought he was insane, but by this time we were desperate. One of us would have to run along the ledge, and, just at the right moment as one jumped, the other would fire a rocket and propel the runner to victory! Or at least, that was the plan..

So Lüt stood back to the wall, rocket launcher loaded and ready. Naturally, we had to coordinate over message. "Go" he said. I started running, tried to jump, but before I could I felt a big thump and there I was staring into the wall below. Heh. So I went back up, reversed into Lüt again, he shouted "Go" and... exactly the same thing happened again. Third time lucky then? No. I just could not make Legacy jump within 1 second of me pushing the button. We just didn't have the margin for error for that kind of response. So, Lüt would have to be the... fall guy, heh.

"Go", I said. Before I could finish typing go and press Ctrl he'd disappeared and the rocket sailed over his falling head. "Go", I said. Before I could finish typing go and press Ctrl he'd disappeared and the rocket sailed over his falling head. "Go", I said. Before I could finish typing go and press Ctrl he'd disappeared and the rocket sailed over his falling head.

We discussed it again.

"Go", I said. Before I could finish typing go and press Ctrl he'd disappeared and the rocket sailed over his falling head. "Go", I said. Before I could finish typing go and press Ctrl he'd disappeared and the rocket sailed over his falling head.

Then the next time I fired too early and he ended up in the wall like me. The next time I fired even earlier, killing myself in the process as he was so close. Same result. After that happened I nearly wept with laughter. I gathered all the necessary stuff and got back.

I shouted "Go" and fired at the same time. Lüt didn't even move and I sank to the floor. I was dead again. He hadn't even been ready, heh.

So, the next time I reverted to waiting a split second. "Go", I said, only to see him disappear and the rocket go sailing over his falling head. Heh.

And then something happened. Something that I'd begun to think was impossible but it happened all the same. We got it right!!!! In one sweet, fast and slick moment Lüt rocket jumped over to the other side! SUCCESS!!! We woooooooted and yeeeeeeessssssed! over message. After we'd calmed down, Lüt went over passed the blocked red door to the door we needed to open to get to the blue key. "ROFL", he said. "It won't open".

I burst out laughing, probably waking everyone else up. Lüt came off to see what on earth was up. We were puzzled for a while, and by now it was 3am and I was virtually brain-dead. And then I realised. The yellow switch. Neither of us had actually remembered to hit the damn thing! This was taken care of, but now, heh, we needed to get back over again. Cue rocket jump number 2...

Heh, but we were getting good at this by now. Within like 5 attempts Lüt was back over and this time the door was open. A few monsters later, and he at last had it! The blue key! I thought we'd never see it.

We were back at the blue switch in a jiffy. Lüt opened the last door, and we ran past the spider carcass and into the last area which was populated with Mancubi and whatnot. To complete the drama, I died again. But now the exit was open in front of us heh.

And so that concluded AV map24. Mishri Halek had taken us probably a quarter as much time. We'd been there for some two hours. I said there and then, "I'm done", and as soon as we exited, we both quit for bed :)

After that I decided the only possible name for our coop clan would be Clan LH (The Laurel and Hardies)!

Heh, and if any of you dare reply with the word 'blog' anywhere you're banned.

Cool.

Me and my lil bro usually have fun playing coop. We work together quite well, though occationally i end up eating a rocket when my bro is panicking try to attack the cybie.

Ha ha, that was good reading. Ah, Multiplayer is the greatest source of laughs ever. Can't think of any good stories right now. Meh, none of them would be Doom-related anyway so I suppose it wouldn't matter.

Heh, now I feel like downloading that new Zdaemon and waiting for coop. Meh, maybe later.

Bahaha, Great story pritch. =D

Lots of times I wish you could turn on cheats. Although you should've changed the gravity. It would make things a lot easier. And I think -sv_cheats 1 works. Right?

Oh, I remember doing crazy sutff like this, although not THAT bad. Sometimes it ends up you can't get a key or you're locked in an area you can't get out of, and it ends in craziness. Well, have fun. =P

Good story anyway. Loved it.

BBG said:

Ahahaha, great story! Wish you guys would have like, made a demo of it :-P i mean i know im too stupid to make my own demo. i dont even know how to run source ports like jdoom besides the menu in doom is realy confusing im just a ugly moron

whats the point of saying all that crap

Dude, I told you to pass this to me before posting a final version. I'll edit it a bit later with some extra story and screenies :)

BanMe

As you wish :)

His IP did look sort of familiar.

...after a few minutes of searching...

I really hope that wasn't BizarroDoomer again.

Great story, I'm sure the Swedish Fish would get a kick out of it if he ever dropped by the forums again. BTW, one little note:

pritch said:

After we'd calmed down, Lüt went over passed the blocked red door to the door we needed to open to get to the blue key. "ROFL", he said. "It won't open".

Going up the broken stairs and hopping onto the outer ledge to reach the secret soulsphere is another way around that door, since from there you can hop through the window to get to the room, and a linedef inside the room will open that door. There's a few other tricks in the level as well (the tricky closing red door at the start can be kept from closing with a little manuevering, check out some C-N demos over the map to see them).

Lüt said:

Dude, I told you to pass this to me before posting a final version. I'll edit it a bit later with some extra story and screenies :)

I'm waiting to see that!

Lüt said:

Oops, sorry. Heh, I thought you wanted me to just get it done already. Yeah, why not break up my text with your viewpoint in italics? And the screenies :) I never realised you took any! Great! I thought Legacy was taking them, but of course I didn't rebind "screenshot" after the previous Legacy wipe-out. Doof.

Co-op = ruleage.

Can't wait for the next ZDoom, hopefully then I'll be able to have proper 4 player LAN games ;)

Yeah I'm working on it, but it's been a little while so I've kinda forgotten some of the commentary I originally wanted to add. I'll have to do a refresher run through the map again and see if that brings anything back.