Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m0l0t0v

quake2 or Half Life add-on?

Me and 2 friends have been thinking of making an add-on for a game for quite a while. We don't want to use the Doom-engine for it is considered 'too old' (not by me of course!). Two options have been mentioned: Quake2 and Half Life.

None of us can code/ hack so we just want to make new levels/ skins and models.

My question to you is: Which game would you choose?
sub-questions:
Which of these games has the best/ easiest editors?
Which of these games has the most potential for a good add-on?

thanks in advance!

If you want a bigger audience, Half-Life. Interest in Quake II SP is pretty much dead.

m0l0t0v said:

We don't want to use the Doom-engine for it is considered 'too old' (not by me of course!)

Get new friends, heh.

Go for Half-Life, if you can come up with something original. And simple modifications to the game code aren't hard if you understand just a tiny bit about programming.

m0l0t0v said:

Me and 2 friends have been thinking of making an add-on for a game for quite a while. We don't want to use the Doom-engine for it is considered 'too old' (not by me of course!). Two options have been mentioned: Quake2 and Half Life.

And Quake2/Half-life aren't too old? Please.

And Quake2/Half-life aren't too old? Please.

I know; but these where the only 2 games we could all agree on...

Trasher][ said:
Quake2 is now open-source.

Doesn't really matter:

m0l0t0v said:

None of us can code/ hack so we just want to make new levels/ skins and models.

As much as I love Quake 2, I'd say go with Half-Life. For one, since you won't be doing any coding, there is a lot more coding already in the engine. In Quake 2, all it was was nodes for monsters and the scripted sequences were all exploding walls and appearing monsters for the most part. In Half-Life, you have code there already for NPCs, battling groups of monsters, some interesting scripted sequences, and all kinds of stuff. Also, Half-Life has a larger community, so you have a larger place for halp and resources. Though...since Quake 2's community is smaller, they might be a little more helpful, but I dunno.

m0l0t0v said:

Which of these games has the best/ easiest editors?
Which of these games has the most potential for a good add-on?

Have a look at tenebrae. It is a modification of the quake1 engine. and has all doom3 features.

You can use qradiant and qmap2 to map. Ahh.. you must know this stuff.

Tenebrae is good for quake 1 - sweet looking. Also look at poke 646 mod for halflife, it's brilliant and shows you what can be acheived with time and effort. Quake 2 - never saw a mod that did it justice, so perhaps that's the way to go.

Off topic: wasn't someone making a Doom mod for the Quake 2 engine?

I have a screenshot of the mod when it was for HL and it looked great IMO.

If your planning on making new textures, then unless all your members are extremely good artists, use half-life. New textures with the quake 2 colour pattle tend to look a little yucky.

Livo said:

Off topic: wasn't someone making a Doom mod for the Quake 2 engine?

Well there's Ypod for quake 1. In relation to Q2 there was gonna be a big mod called generations but it got cancelled for some reason (something about copyright).

halflifeisbetter said:

half-life

because half life is better.

I wonder if this guy likes Half-Life...

I'd go for Half-Life, from what I hear from friends it's easy to work with and you can get some pretty nice levels out of it with almost no skills. Besides that I think Half-Life feels very "decent" while playing, I can't describe the exact feeling (get some sleep maybe).

BlueSonnet said:

Well there's Ypod for quake 1. In relation to Q2 there was gonna be a big mod called generations but it got cancelled for some reason (something about copyright).

True. But Son Of Generations has a similar theme and is legal. It's a Q2 mod and has Wolf3D, Doom and Quake elements. A significant part of the mod was made by me, hence the pimping.

On topic: Quake2 is from my experience a very user-friendly and powerful engine. But if you want a large audience for your mod, you'd have to go HalfLife.