Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blod

Starship-like design

With my secret ZDoom project in mind I'm looking for authentic starship wads to see the theme tops. I played some of them long time ago but can't remember the names (exept for Icarus megawad). Any help/tips and requirements for good starship/spacebase layout would be appreciated.

http://tobester.slipgate.org/nice/

there's a few screenies (none really spacey yet) of my project.

if you want some spacey stuff, try for roger ritenour's pleaidies (i think) series, mir, starcity, some others. they kick ass.

plus imo tei tenga had a nice space station.

there's also another level named moonbase, i think by the same guy who made tei tenga. it's not bad.

EDIT: Also, Eternal Doom map01 is a really nice space level.

I think eternal map 01 is supposed to be a kind of tower, not a space station XD

There was a wad called, i think, Vrack a long time ago that had some decent space station action..

oh, and starcity.wad is not actually in space XD, it does fit in with a series of wads where you are in space though..

Yeah Vrack for me captures a really good space station atmosphere. More so than Vrack2 IMO. Things like double doors (air locks), lots of silver/ shawn textures etc all help add to the effect.

For a very convincing space ship, grab ReX's "Dawn: A prelude" prequel to his "Star Wars" mod "Darkest Hour", and of course "Darkest Hour" itself. In them, you'll find space stations, moon bases and even a level set onboard a Star Destroyer (looks really cool in the automap).

Because your mod is meant for Zdoom, you could try setting the gravity a little lower than normal using MAPINFO. This can be quite effective in creating that essential space station effect. I cant remember what the gravity range is, but I've used 600 for a slightly lowered gravity, and 300 for a more noticable, but not unplayable by any means level of gravity in 2 space station levels I have sitting here. You could also use scripting to change gravity settings mid level.

Tobester said:

http://tobester.slipgate.org/nice/

there's also another level named moonbase, i think by the same guy who made tei tenga. it's not bad.

EDIT: Also, Eternal Doom map01 is a really nice space level.

Nice shots. But I always want to know is there any place for concrete textures (like GREY7) within spaceships?

Enjay said:

Yeah Vrack for me captures a really good space station atmosphere. More so than Vrack2 IMO. Things like double doors (air locks), lots of silver/ shawn textures etc all help add to the effect.

For a very convincing space ship, grab ReX's "Dawn: A prelude" prequel to his "Star Wars" mod "Darkest Hour", and of course "Darkest Hour" itself. In them, you'll find space stations, moon bases and even a level set onboard a Star Destroyer (looks really cool in the automap).

Because your mod is meant for Zdoom, you could try setting the gravity a little lower than normal using MAPINFO. This can be quite effective in creating that essential space station effect. I cant remember what the gravity range is, but I've used 600 for a slightly lowered gravity, and 300 for a more noticable, but not unplayable by any means level of gravity in 2 space station levels I have sitting here. You could also use scripting to change gravity settings mid level.

Thanx for titles, need to check the wads.

Gravity tricks are in my wishlist yet.

I remember one really big starship map for (I'm not sure) Doom 1 from pre-port era. It had tight maze-like layout and had no movie/SF prototypes, but it was so enormously huge and amazing... The wad died with my old HDD :(

blod said:

Nice shots. But I always want to know is there any place for concrete textures (like GREY7) within spaceships?

meh.

they dont look like concrete to me :P

Inspired lots by vrack tho, which is the main reason.

Enjay said:

Thanks for the plug, Nigel.

Maps with a circular/cylindrical design (such as the two space stations I did) are a royal pain in the butthocks. The Relus-V space station almost became a nightmare for me, and I kept starting and stopping work on it over the course of a year. The Battle Cruiser Ironicus, on the other hand, was fun to do. (Wish I'd had the patience to implement sky boxes that showed a moving starfield, which then changed to a static starfield when the ship drops out of hyperspace.)

blod said:

I remember one really big starship map for (I'm not sure) Doom 1 from pre-port era. It had tight maze-like layout and had no movie/SF prototypes, but it was so enormously huge and amazing... The wad died with my old HDD :(

You could be referring to starshp1.wad - a huge DooM 1 map.

But you could also be referring to map 10 of Operation: Lightning, which is a big space station map. (that map is worth checking out as well)

<pimpage>A fully scripted space station before and after a demon invasion can be found here, might provide some inspiration</pimpage>

i forgot about a few wads

pick up invade1 and invade2

very nice, early udoom wadz

and uhm

there's a star trek wad that is very nice space level

ReX said:

Maps with a circular/cylindrical design (such as the two space stations I did) are a royal pain in the butthocks.

But they looks great aestetically. One of the reason I stay with WA is the feature of circular sectors inserting/manipulating.

Why did I miss 'Darkest Hour' series anyway? What a shame...

The Ultimate DooMer said:

You could be referring to starshp1.wad - a huge DooM 1 map.

Maybe you're right. But I failed to find it through idgames archive search :(
Any tips?

If you are looking for an alternative to the gray/silver stuff, 3057demo.wad actually takes place in a starship. It is not really noticable in the demo, but will be in hub1. All you need to do is add some windows in there and it looks like a starship. IMO moreso than the gray/silver theme.

Here are a few that haven't already been mentioned. They all include an actual spaceship, rather than just a spacestation.

Equinox map09 (outside flying saucer) and map10 (inside the alien ship)
Aboosysv map03 (spacestation) and map04 (inside spaceship)
Spac2096
Odyssey map05
Hell2pay maps12-15

The Ultimate DooMer said:

I got it off my D!1000 cd - I could send it to if you want.

Be my guest. Please, send it to blod@webkazan.ru
Thanx in advance.

Shaviro said:

--- skipped ---

Yea, I have 3057demo wad. Thanx.

Grazza said:

Here are a few that haven't already been mentioned.

Equinox --- I have it
Aboosysv --- downloading...
Spac2096 --- downloading...
Odyssey --- I have it
Hell2pay --- downloading...

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!

Try "pleiades", I dunno the author but he had some genious regarding lighing in space themes.

blod said:

Why did I miss 'Darkest Hour' series anyway? What a shame...

Well, technically you didn't miss the series. They are still available at DooM Nexus ;)

Sphagne said:

Try "pleiades", I dunno the author but he had some genious regarding lighing in space themes.

Roger Ritenour

I mentioned the series above :P

Roger Ritenour = Doom God!

Shaviro, how is your project going on? Are you planning a second demo?

GooberMan said:

<pimpage>A fully scripted space station before and after a demon invasion can be found here, might provide some inspiration</pimpage>

Taht's really cool Goob, but I had some issues:

1) JESUS CHRIST YOU CAN'T READ THE BLUE TEXT. I didn't see a single word that person said because it's impossible to read. =P

2) I had to bind everything myself. It was really annoying because I ran the thing about 10 times and searched all the text and everything for a real long time before figuring out what to do, and binding the keys myself, which is pretty annoying. =/

1) That was brought to my attention when Enjay tested it, but it's one of the many little things I forgot to fix when I released it. One of those cases where I could read it fine but other people couldn't (text speed aswell) so it slipped my mind. That speech system still needs much work (even the nice clean one included as a freebie with the zip).

2) "zdoom.exe gateway.cfg" from the command line; or dragging-and-dropping gateway.cfg onto zdoom.exe, should solve all those problems (unless key binds have broken or changed in newer ZDoom versions).

Heh, it occured to me that I only know a handful of space-themed WADs, most of the WADs listed here are totally unfamiliar to me...

GooberMan said:

2) "zdoom.exe gateway.cfg" from the command line; or dragging-and-dropping gateway.cfg onto zdoom.exe, should solve all those problems (unless key binds have broken or changed in newer ZDoom versions).

I did a drag and drop of gateway.cfg and still had to bind everything.