Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Igor9

What is a good map editor for a beginner?

Something easy to pick up and make a couple of rooms with, I promise I won't release any crap :)

I suggest wad author. But thats just me. It's best to simply download a few from the editors page and try them.

Assmaster said:

I suggest wad author. But thats just me. It's best to simply download a few from the editors page and try them.

That.

Even though I don't use it, you may wanna try Deepsea, it's one of the most prominent editors around for Doom. It's good apparentely :P

There'll be as many different opinions on this as there are members on rthe forum, but i also suggest wad author, you can create sectors with a single click (well, two actually), drag them to the size you want, and it has automatic creation of doors and stairs (though you better like the STONE4 texture on your stairs! otherwise your in for a hefty editing job)..though it still took me months to work out how to make doors, so there werent any doors until level 12 of my first megawad i was creating (now deleted) but thats me XD

wad author is cool. My prefered editor(if anyone haven't noticed :P).
You could try dck, deth, why, etc... too :P
I think you need to test them all, for get a view of which one there is best for you.

deathbringer: Y'know, you can create your own motifs so that your stairs wont always be stone4.

WadAuthor would no doubt be the easiest. Of course, real editors use DEU/DETH. ;)

I throw my vote in with wadauthor.

It's real easy for getting down the basics imo.

Im teaching a few people how to use it already.

Tobester said:

I throw my vote in with wadauthor.

It's real easy for getting down the basics imo.

Im teaching a few people how to use it already.

Agreed! It doesn't take long to learn.

Epyo said:

Deepsea.

Yeah really, the only skill you need to master deepsea is the ability to read.

Igor9 said:

What is a good map editor for a beginner?

That implies you want to start with one editor, get the basics down pat and then possibly move on to something more complex. It has to be said that people tend to stick with which ever editor they first get the hang of, and find it hard to move on to another.

So a good map editor for a beginner is one that you will be happy using when you are no longer a beginner. It's much easier learning a good editor and sticking with it as it your editing requirements expand compared to learning one editor, realising it no longer does what you want, and trying to learn something you know should, and probably does do all the things you want, but you can't find them because you are used to a different menu system. This goes for any software - ever had to change the word processor/ graphics editor/ whatever you use?

So, try a few, see what you like and feel comfortable with, consider what you might want a year from now then take the effort to learn your editor of choice.

My personal choice is DeePsea. I find it very easy to make levels with and it has built in tools that mean I have no need to use any external utils for compiling WADs or managing the resources within a WAD. There isn't another editor that has as many built in features as DeePsea. It is shareware (like WadAuthor). The shareware limits mean maps over a certain size cannot be saved (easily big enough for your "couple of rooms") but all the other built in tools are unlimited. Registering removes the map size limit (as you'd expect).

You want easy, you get WadAuthor. As for the number of features it has... the only thing important I can think of, that DeePsea can do and WA can't is lump management. And apparantly there's going to be a new release soon with that, as well.

I say Deepsea all the way! If you want a bit more work use Wadauthor. Me myself I started with Windeu but that's the only editor I could find at the time. Anyhow I prefer Deepsea out of all of them!

heh, once you start editing with WA you won't be able to edit with anything else because it's vastly different. my personal suggestion is that you try deth or maybe deepsea first. and of course, wintex for lump editing.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

WadAuthor (for maps) and Wintex (for lumps).

Exactly. Although I'm looking forward to WA with lump management...

mmnpsrsoskl said:

I wonder how long it will take before Deep comes in here...:P

heh, it might be a while actually.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

I wonder how long it will take before Deep comes in here...:P

When he does, I'm leaving. No use trying to argue with him. *eye roll*

Use3D said:

Yeah really, the only skill you need to master deepsea is the ability to read.

... and to pay for updates $)

When I tried to make maps, I used deepsea. For a while, I had no idea what I was doing until I grasped the idea of sectors. (which for some reason took a while) then it was actually fun to map. I didn't like WA as much, but because I was used to deepsea.
not that I am a mapper, I never ever finished a map, and anything I have done, looks so n00bishly done.

netnomad312 said:

When he does, I'm leaving. No use trying to argue with him. *eye roll*

will be a bit hard for him to come in here, because he is banned.

If you still have DOS, I suggest DCK. IMO it's one of the easiest editors out there.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthr...38&pagenumber=3

Well, the bullshit continues. deep getting banned for that is ludicrous.

I don't see why it's so hard to switch editors. I switched from DEU to DETH with no problem. ;)