Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SupremeGeneral

Doom64 and Ultimate/2nd/Final Doom

Just pulled my N64 out of the closet, and what was in the N64 system so coincidentally and waiting to be played? Doom64

Great game when you look at it's differences from the original...

If you take the improved graphics, different mood, and ability for a 2-floor environment, could we call this a 2nd evolution of Doom Graphics? (not counting Alpha, Beta, and pre-release versions)

Also, the monsters look verrry different, and there's even a semi-cloaked imp. Interesting. Nontheless, the game is very, uh, (loss of words to describe it).....very DOOM-ish.

Supreme General

Ive never played Doom64, i dont even own a nintendo 64. But IMO the computer is where doom belongs, not a playstation or n64. But i will say that doom is still a fun game no matter what.

SupremeGeneral said:

If you take the improved graphics, different mood, and ability for a 2-floor environment, could we call this a 2nd evolution of Doom Graphics?

Try this wad and find out. (runs with Legacy, v1.40 recommended)

Fairy Gnome Goat said:

Its my understanding that most of the source ports have been able to do room above room stuff in the doom engine for quiet some time.

not quite. the only ports that can do real ROR are rorEternity and rorDoom.

As for doom64, that doom64 tc should be released soon.

BlackFish said:

not quite. the only ports that can do real ROR are rorEternity and rorDoom.

As for doom64, that doom64 tc should be released soon.

July 1st to be exact :0

I have a few things to say: no savegames equalling dislike of the game just means you're a lazy fuck (if the passwords were 4 numbers I bet u'd have been happy)

Also, although I agree Doom should've stayed on the computer, I can't deny that the bold move to put it on 64 payed off REALLY well. Between the improved graphics and the ambience on the border of music, the game had a metric ton of atmosphere, and is probably the closest thing to what D3 is going to be like that is currently available.

I would like to add that the PSX version, while graphically inferior, had some cool levels. I personally like the end level, Redemption Denied, better than Icon of Sin. That may just be because I bet Final Doom before I ever got my hands on Doom II, so when I got to Icon of Sin I was kinda disappointed at not seeing something new. And PSX also brought out the super-spectre (that's what I call it, it's the dark pinky that is really hard to kill). I hit one dead on with a rocket without it dying, on more than one occasion.

PSX Doom owns in so many ways.

The graphical inferiority matters little to me, it's a much better game than Doom64 afaiac.

SupremeGeneral said:

Whats Doom64 TC?

A port of Doom64's levels and resources to jDoom, with all the cuts and trimmings, like saving, mouselook and multiplayer.

I have a few things to say: no savegames equalling dislike of the game just means you're a lazy fuck (if the passwords were 4 numbers I bet u'd have been happy)

Hmm, that kinda seems like a flame . . . ?

I didn't like it for the savegames because after being thrown in a small square room in which Mancubi and Barons and all sorts of nasty monsters keep teleporting in and out of, I like the chance to save my game, just in case I get toasted by an Arachnatron. DOOM NEEDS SAVEGAMES! It's too damn hard to survive without them! I don't know how many times I repeatedly died on a level trying to get past it. I'd spend DAYS on level! And all because of one spot. Which was usually followed by another spot that killed me.

I also thought that it was too dark and bland, I couldn't tell the difference between the zombies, I could barely tell the difference between the two shotguns, and the music drove me to the brink of boredom driven insanity.

Apparently you could save D64 games if you had the controller save pak thingy XD, but anyway, i think doom 64 was supposed to be a "sequel" to the best console version of doom, ie PSX doom (64 used a lot of the same sounds ect), and is basically set after the "facility" you cleared out of demons in the PSX version is sealed off by loads of radiation so that the demons are trapped inside, except theyre all dead anyway so it doesnt matter, but some "new force" (The mother demon) has survived the radiation and has brought all the demons back to life (and they look different for some reason, and so do the levels XD), so you have to go back in and exterminate them all again

Which brings me on to another question ive eben meaning to ask-can the Gamecube play N64 carts?

None of the Dooms are too hard grimm. You just suck :P

Seriously though, stop playing PC Doom with savegames. Just pistol start every level. At first, you'll get toasted horribly. But soon you'll become ever skilled.

I do agree that Doom64 was too dark. However I liked the music.

And no, Doom 64 is not Doom... it's Doom 64. :)

I do pistol start every level. On UV. I plan to move into Nightmare soon.

No, there was no way to save in-gane for Doom 64. You could save what level you were on, and how much health and ammo you had.

On the Gamecube taking Contoler Paks, maybe, since the GBA reader (YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) is about to come out.

Tried the 64 sprites that came with DSV4. They were pretty interesting to look at but just didn't seem mean enough compared to the original Doom sprites.

deathbringer said:

Which brings me on to another question ive eben meaning to ask-can the Gamecube play N64 carts?

Unless there's some weird gamecube mod that I haven't heard of, no it can't play n64 carts. This is because the gamecube uses discs instead of cartridges, but with the new gba player it can play game boy games, so you could play doom 1 or 2 for gba using your gamecube. But as for playing n64 games, I'm gonna give that a big no.

Ah right, i wanna play doom 64, but wondered if i should get a cube, or find a second hand N64, seeing as (at the moment anyway) theres nothing on the cube that really takes my interest

Get a second hand N64. Gamecube doesnt seem to have squat.
Or you could do what I did and get and N64 emulator. ;-)

Oh, carts, not paks. In that case, no.

Hey, Gamecube has lotsa good stuff. The only thing it's really lacking in at the moment is good FPS's, but they're really far and few in between for consoles, anyway.

Or you could do what I did and get and N64 emulator. ;-)

That's stealing.

once you have a N64, getting doom 64 should be easy. I bought it second hand for $20 4 years ago. I would have payed full price for it and still thought it was worth it. Not being able to save in the middle of levels makes you fear dying a bit more, instead of quick saving after passing every hurdle.
although a "quick save" trigger at different points in the level would have been nice, sort of like a checkpoint. but now I don't need that, I played that game too much.

I do have an N64 emulator, its just that all the pricks that run these things got all 'ethical' and theres no roms for download, that and my humble 2GHZ PC is nowhere near fast enough to run it

Yes, being ethical makes you a prick. Let's get this thread away from fucking warez, shall we?